P&CE Discussion of Tolkien, LOTR, Silmarillion, and Amazon’s Expensive Commercial Attempt at Fanfic

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 6, 2022.

1. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ....until season 3, IMHO.

Belgian guy and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I gave up on it towards the end of season two. But pretty much, yeah.

3. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #253 The Jitty Slitter, Oct 6, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
    I'm one of the few people who liked the start of s3 - but then secret bunkers in the jungle is totally in my wheelhouse :ROFLMAO:

Chesco United and Belgian guy repped this.
  4. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remind me. Was Season 3 the one that focused a lot on Desmond (Ian Cusick)? If so, I'll retract and say much of that season was decent.

Related side note. So a couple of years ago (pre-meniscus surgery and pre-pandemic) I show up for the start of my Over-40 7v7 league for the team I'd been playing with a few seasons. Our captain introduces us to a new guy we picked up on the "free agent" page on the league's website named Ian. After warming up with him and hearing his Scottish accent, I did a double take --- wait a minute ---- are you Desmond? Sure enough. He was in Atlanta for 6 months to film some TV show. Really nice guy and a great CB to anchor our backline.
    :)

luftmensch, Pønch, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  5. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I think Desmond was introduced in season two? I remember the character.
    IIRC, the season one cliffhanger is them trying to open the hatch. They find Desmond down there at the start of season two. I think it was the second half of season two when I stopped watching.

6. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but didn't they do a long pause from "the hatch" in Season 2 and start following what happened to the folks in the tail section of the plane who crashed on a different side of the island?

Belgian guy repped this.
  7. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Possibly, it's been too long to remember.

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think Desmond was introduced in s2 but we found out a lot about his backstory in s3

Cool!

Did you ask him why he abandoned Penny to go back to the Island? :laugh:

yossarian and Belgian guy repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes - s2 was hot trash

s3 has lots about Desmond e.g foreseeing Charlie's death which happens in the underwater station in the season finale

Belgian guy repped this.
  10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    "The Others" were the greatest villains ever...until they revealed themselves.

luftmensch, yossarian and Belgian guy repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    argentine soccer fan and yossarian repped this.
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Hmmm - Ep 7 seemed to return to the frustrating pacing - not surprising after so much happened last time

I definitely prefer this show more in bingeblocks of 2-3 eps that singles

*** Spoilers ahead ***

Random thoughts

Durin/Elrond remains dumb as ever, and I really could do without the harfoots. Hopefully with the small group split off, this can now be more like an adventure than their tedious slice of life scenes. Like really what was the point of devoting yet more screen time to the harvest crap?

Halbrand is rather obviously being set up as Sauron. So either he is Sauron, which is the dumbest timeline, or this was all a misdirection to the audience, which makes the show untrustworthy and is cheap trickery IMO

The 3 mysterious gimps - feels like more impenetrable characters being mysterious for the sake of it.

This i feel is the real issue with the show. Instead of creating real intrigue and tension on screen, they manufacture it by playing the audience - very much Lost style.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  13. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    To me it's not so much the comics as what Hollywood has done to them

“I said round about 2011 that I thought that it had serious and worrying implications for the future if millions of adults were queueing up to see ‘Batman’ movies,” Moore said. “Because that kind of infantilization – that urge towards simpler times, simpler realities – that can very often be a precursor to fascism.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/10/w...erhero-movies-can-lead-to-fascism-1234770828/

Mike03 repped this.
  14. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah. I just watched episodes 5, 6 and 7 in one seating, and I think it's better this way.

I am actually warming up to the inter-racial friendship between Elrond and DurIn, in spite of the overall ridiculous nature of that whole subplot.

I hope he is not Sauron. It would be all wrong for many reasons. He shouldn't be the Witch King either, as according to Tolkien lore the WK was of Numenorean descent and was a king in the north, not the south. He could become one of the other Nazgul, I suppose, but I like the idea of him becoming the king of the dead, who was redeemed by Aragorn in LOTR.

The evil blonde gimp would be my logical choice for Sauron.
    There is a lot wrong with the show, the characters, the plot etc, but there is enough Tolkien in it that I'm hooked.

bungadiri repped this.
  15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Agreed - for instance, him floating around on a boat to meet Galadriel is a bit hard to be credible. There also is a general problem that he is supposed to be a king of the southlands, yet no one has heard of him? Wouldn't the elves know of him?

I worry that the plot line is that the newly chastened Galadriel will deliver Halbrand into the elven world giving him the access Sauron needs. So either this is the plot, or it is an intentional misdirection. Either way it is crappy.

Overall i hope they keep the "guess who" element to a low level but it seems to be the way to generate online engagement these days

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The infantilization of the movie-going audience (and by extension also the TV audience to a certain extent) is a real thing.
    It's why so much of the MCU is utterly sexless (whilst also weirdly obsessed with its heroes bodies at the same time).
    It's why you can have reporters ask questions like "Do movies really need to have sex in them?" to Paul Verhoeven. On that note, Verhoeven has his own ideas about this trend.
    Not too long ago I even saw someone complain about Netflix shows having too many sex scenes in them.
    But it's not even just about adult themes or sex.
    I cannot count the amount of social media complaints about Andor (imho a wonderfully entertaining SW version of something like "l'Armée des Ombres" and other revisionist resistance stories like it) that mention it is too slow or boring. It's another sign of the increasing diminished sophistication of the audience, where they cannot even stand a show where much of the drama is merely a group of people talking.
    It's why I believe that audiences in 2022 would even reject this pivotal Raiders scene:

On topic, I thought the latest Rings episode was kind of underwhelming, considering it followed a rather dramatic climax in episode six. I will say that this was perhaps the first time the Harfoots were a bit interesting. On the other hand, Numemor mulling for three episodes if they would go to the Southlands and then the Queen Regent returning home after one episode there kind of lays bare the issue of what this show is choosing to devote screentime too.

It's still a bit surreal to see true artistry devoted to very corny writing. Like that epic shot of Isildur's horse running away from the Numenorian encampment, after Elendil released it. Whenever one of those pops up (also that closing shot of Mount Doom) I think that you could make a truly great show with this show's art department/cinematographer and VFX teams.

Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I know! They waste such huge production on such a pointless piece of melodrama?

Or Galadriel meets the blind queen on a ridge line so they can have 360 degree views?

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Cascarino's Pizzeria BigSoccer Yellow Card

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    We have Marty to thank for all of his filmmaking contributions and stating the obvious about Men in Tights:

For those that don't remember the origin story, this particular barney all broke out in October 2019 when Scorsese told Empire magazine that he’d tried to watch some superhero films, not much enjoyed them and decided that they were “not cinema”. That would have stuck in the craw as it was, but he went on. For Scorsese these films were built on a crass impersonality.

“Honestly, the closest I can think of them, as well made as they are, with actors doing the best they can under the circumstances, is theme parks,” he told Empire. “It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.”

It was a big deal. There used to be a kind of omertà around the comic book juggernauts from serious cineastes, and certainly from the old guard. Suddenly, the gloves were off.

Ken Loach called superhero films “boring”. Francis Ford Coppola, one of Scorsese’s generation, went harder, calling them “despicable”. “I hate them,” said Jane Campion last year, “I actually hate them.” If you’ve got a ouija board to hand, you can bet Cecil B Demille will drag the glass around to spell “ANT MAN IS WANK”.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/film/a40653210/martin-scorsese-marvel/

Mike03 and Belgian guy repped this.
  19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    To be fair, in the pre-web era generic sex scenes/nudity tended to be shoe horned into movies and especially for the VHS market - the slasher genre was built on tits, arse and chain saws

I am quite fine with it dropping out of movies where it was never needed beyond cheap thrills

20. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Unfortunately the rejection of more adult themes is going way beyond just gratuitous nudity in trashy horror.
    Like I mentioned, it can also be seen in how audiences now respond to stuff like Andor. Which isn't exactly a high-brow complex show, it just moves at a slightly different tempo than what they are obviously used to.

21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yes, they do seem like amateurs. To be fair, it seems like an impossible task to do Tolkien right without being Tolkien. There is a reason why J.R. Tolkien is considered the greatest fantasy writer ever.

The creativity of writers like him, Frank Herbert, George R.R. Martin, is not readily available waiting to be hired. No matter how much money Amazon is willing to fork out to some professional Hollywood writers, it's never going to match the brilliance of the original.

This also happened with Game of Thrones. The moment they started deviating from Martin's writings the show suffered. Still looked great, but the plot went to hell.

Having said that, they certainly could do better with the plot and characters than they have so far.

Smurfquake and JohnR repped this.
  22. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    One reason is these big shows are written by committee - that can go well, or ... less well

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  23. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add to that the fact that they are riffing off of Tolkien's unfinished works.

RE: GOT and Martin. I thought the first book was gawd-awful and never picked it up again. I'd enjoyed his short stories, so was disappointed. I admit that the bizarrely exultant, in-your-face attitude of some of his fans, who seemed to think that the gore, sex, and dark outcomes constituted a lesson that needed to be learned by the naïfs of the world, might have preconditioned my response to the book, however.

Mike03, Dr. Wankler, rslfanboy and 3 others repped this.
  24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the whole thing and mostly enjoyed it despite the definite dip in quality. But I’ve had zero desire to go back and watch it again, and I have a feeling the majority wouldn’t hold up on a rewatch.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    As a side note, I joined Belgian in abandoning House of Dragons. I still believe that it is a very well made show. But when the closest thing to a protagonist is a guy who killed his wife out of boredom, because the other characters are even worse ... nah. (Also, the show features multiple truly awful kids, and my tolerance for watching Lord of the Flies children is severely limited.)

Dr. Wankler, Mike03, bungadiri and 3 others repped this.