P&CE Discussion of Tolkien, LOTR, Silmarillion, and Amazon’s Expensive Commercial Attempt at Fanfic

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Sep 6, 2022.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep. It's much easier to write a show with the one-eyed men as kings than it is to write realistically intelligent characters, and then other characters who are so truly gifted that they can stay ahead of the pack.

bungadiri repped this.
  2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    On the subject of GoT, I do agree that it did some of its characters dirty in favor of plot. Like Littlefinger or Stannis and the "resolution" of both of their story lines.
    Neither of which made sense in terms of what we knew about them.

It's also a bit besides the point, if we are talking how GoT contrasts to Rings of Power. GoT mostly allowed fully realized internal lives for most of their characters. With clear motivations that were consistent within said character's circumstances.
    Even if those lives were utterly ********ed up like Jaime's.

To return to Rings (and thus get a bit more on topic), my main take-away after episode six is mostly confusion at how rushed it felt. After hitting pause for three episodes on Numenor, they now arrive not only in the Southlands but in the one village that is on the very cutting edge of the action within thirty minutes of screentime... :cautious:
    The pacing of this thing is thus a bit erratic. Reminding me a bit of Rome season two in that regard, but the Rome showrunners had the excuse that they only knew very late in the game that season two would be their last, so they had to rush through a lot of plot to fit it all within the remaining episodes. Rings of Power does not have that excuse.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  3. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never read the books (don't intend to) so did Littlefinger and Stannis meet different ends in the books?

4. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes in the sense that neither has yet met their end. It’s unknown whether or not their ends in the series were based on something Martin told the showrunners, or was their own invention. He apparently outlined a lot of his plans to them, but he’s also notorious for changing things as he goes.

Belgian guy repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Insert sweet summer child gif

Belgian guy repped this.
  6. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I would be very much surprised if Martin (supposing he ever finishes the series) would give both of those characters a similar end.

Show Spoiler

Already the pre-published Theon chapter from Winds of Winter, that heavily features Stannis, suggests that he is taking the character in a very different direction.

luftmensch repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

8. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I wanted to raise this as an example of why the writing has big technical issues, not just dumb ideas.

* Spoilers ahead *

Gil-Galad sends Elrond as a dupe to find out if the Dwarves have found Mithril and oh what a coincidence they have. Let's put aside the issue of how dumb this is as a set up, how on earth Gil-Galad just happened to know this, or the frankly childish scenes where Elrond finds out.

Once you get to the Lindon table scene, this should a tense moment of political intrigue ... which ... doesn't happen. Why doesn't Gil-Galad ask Elrond before the meeting? Why doesn't Gil-Galad just ask Durin directly? Why does Gil-Galad not take the hint when Elrond does everything but confirm that the dwarves have mithril? Why does Elrond not tell Gil-Galad about the Mithril but actually give it to Celebrimbor?

How does any of this make sense? The real intrigue is not about knowing whether the dwarves have mithril, but how to get some - which the show itself reveals itself when it unwinds Elrond's bind two seconds later ...

The show laboured to create a tension for the audience, which isn't true to the characters. Elrond would just think about the issue for two seconds and say he is going to check with Durin about what he can reveal. By not answering, the writers try to create a theatrical tension which actually doesn't exist because it is obvious to everyone including GG that the answer is yes!

Something you can see quite a few times now, is they have struggled to cut together the dialogue of the show - presumably because bloated scenes have been heavily trimmed, and the story makes no actual sense.

This was most obvious in a Arondir/Bronwyn scene where there is a jarring jump cut, and it took me some seconds to even figure out what they were now discussing.

rslfanboy, bungadiri and Belgian guy repped this.
  9. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Sadly this is a classic trope but I think GOT was less guilty of it than most shows?

I say this as someone who abandoned the books at films sometime around season 3

bungadiri repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I listened to an interview with J. Smith-Cameron a while back where she was talking about the more sophisticated nature of the succession writing. So being given the script is 50% of it. She then thinks well how would Gerri react to these situations. What does Gerri want etc? This is then worked into production. To me this is what directing the actors is about.

Obviously this is acting 101 but I think ROP is missing this level of actual direction - the actors woodenly stick to obvious tropes. Moody stranger, mary sue etc etc... especially they never react credibly to events.

A great example is Isildur's sister whose characterisation when he is going to war is lingering camera shots of her being very pained. This dogs the whole production. The dwarves are comic relief. The elves over-earnest twats etc.

Belgian guy repped this.
  11. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    As the plot had to eventually coalesce into a more integrated climax, it meant they had to end some characters' story lines. And in doing so, they weren't always respectful of those characters' pasts, or indeed their established skill sets/intelligence.

I think GoTs messy ending and GRRM's inability to finish the book series are two sides of the same coin.

12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Ep 6 was much much better IMO - more like how I was expecting this show to be?

I think this also illustrates my D&D Dungeon Master point - Middle Earth has great back stories, but adventures need to be on a smaller, more local scale where there can be great story telling not bogged down by cannon and frankly dull politics. Galadriel and Mood King got to do something and immediately were way better! Even though it is worn out western / A-team trope (quick a montage to defend the village!) this is exactly the kind of RPG you'd play in the 80s and I think it is much more immersive. The function of the key was also the kind of over-elaborate but fun plot element i can get in behind. (It all makes no-sense but I am fine with that in the fantasy genre).

I am with @Belgian guy that the pacing of this is a hot mess. Mood King skulks around Numenor for 3 episodes then becomes King for 10 on screen seconds?

Also it continues to be very stupid that the characters steadfastly refuse to discuss obvious plot points with each other.

Side note: Are there supposed to be a lot of villages? Because his Kingdom seems to consist of a 3 building village...

13. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with nearly all your points, and I'd characterize myself as a pretty big Tolkien nerd as far as wanting faithful depictions (when possible) of what he actually wrote. Nevertheless, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't being entertained by this show so far.

Belgian guy and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  14. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's better than House of the Dragon. But mostly because the House showrunners seem intent to make the most joyless and humorless version of GoT possible.

The experience of watching Rings is still weird to me. A gorgeously shot show with admirably seamless CGI (for the most part), a good cast who are mostly doing a decent job, beautiful sets (even for locations that are only used in one or a few scenes), enough money to do proper justice to the big set pieces, ... and then writing that is about at the level of a mid-tier CW show.

It's like Pimp My Tolkien, if you throw enough money at it and have enough flashy stuff, people might not notice that there isn't much under the hood.
    Oops!

luftmensch, rslfanboy and yossarian repped this.
  15. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    House is far more skillfully executed and original than ROP, which is pure formula. (Even Episode 6 of ROP, which is better than its predecessors, is nothing but melodramatic tropes, down to the cavalry arriving one minute before the good guys were to be slaughtered.) I mean, there's nothing remotely in ROP to match the slow-burning pain of the opening funeral scene of Episode 7 of House, as the camera moves from character to character, touching on each of their different griefs.

But I do hear you, House is a tough slog. Rather like watching Team USA fight to a 1-1 draw against a vastly superior opponent, thanks to a corner kick goal and the U.S. keeper standing on his head. One appreciates the achievement more than enjoys the spectacle.

16. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It actually reminds me a bit of Lost style show running, (but the first season of that show had superb characters).

For instance the show runners are placing a lot of reliance on the 'guess who' stuff for online fandom - i suppose you just have to do this stuff if you are doing weekly drops?

For me this contributes to the obtuse writing where Galadriel stubbornly refuses to ask Mood King about the plot, despite it being obvious he is concealing critical info.

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I don't think BG or I think the writing of ep6 was good!

It's just priced in now that it will be terrible.

Ep6 was your standard western trope - but at least it is something that can do more justice to the vast amount of money they have. As i said somewhere, they have the kind of money to film loading a horse into a boat with a crane for a 2s establishing shot. So good to see them have 100 horse cavalry galloping to the rescue, even if it is pure corn.

Belgian guy repped this.
  18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The episode looked great. But the writers ... it's hard to believe they are professionals. To cite one example -

Trapped goodies surrender to baddies
    The baddies want their treasure
    The baddies kill a red shirt to get the goodies to surrender the treasure
    The baddies kill another red shirt
    The baddies kill another red shirt
    The baddies turn to a named character, who of course can't be killed
    After letting the red shirts die, the goodies instantly confess, so that the named character stays in the show
    The baddies find the treasure
    The baddies then set to kill everybody in the room, now that they have the treasure
    The cavalry that was sent days ago, without even the specific task of finding *them*, bursts upon the scene
    Everybody rescued
    The named character lives
    All the baddies die

You would think that if anybody turned in a script like that, the response would be "We can't play that shit straight. If we are to film that, it must be tongue in cheek, as Stars Wars did 45 years ago."

But nope. Totally straight.

Not picking on this show. Most high-budget shows are nothing but nonstop brain-dead tropes, acted well enough and flimed attractively. Their writers are seemingly without talent.

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh agreed on that front. The orcs paused their attack so Bronwyn could get her 'operation' :p

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Bronwyn, yes. That is her name. I'm pretty sure she was also in Independence Day.

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    It's all subjective but to me it has two big issues:

- The total lack of humour and levity. They found plenty of opportunities to include both in GoT.

- The choice (inspired by GRRMs source material) to have a Westeros show without any truly likable characters. Whilst GoT arguably also had a cast of morally dubious characters, you also had several that were pretty close to the old hero archetypes. Jon, Daenerys prior to her heel turn, Brienne, Arya, Tyrion, ... there are more.

The first thing is 100% a mistake (and not one inspired by GRRM whose books do have more than a bit of humor and levity).

The second choice is one that can actually produce an interesting show. But if you are going to write "Succession in Westeros", the writing has to be a lot better and smarter than it has so far been.
    I should also mention that my tolerance for this is probably lower than most people's.
    I gave up on "You're the Worst" prior to the final season too because the quality of the writing took a noticeable dip and at that point it wasn't worth it to devote any more of my time to watching a bunch of terrible people being horrid to each other.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely true. I would not argue that House is a show for everybody. I am not even sure that it is is a show for me. It is increasingly like a Bergman film. Talky, gray, misty, moody. The characters range from morally damaged -- one of the heroes, by this show's standards, bashed in his previous wife's head, simply because he did not like being in an arranged marriage -- to detestable. There is hardly any sex on the show, and even the violence has been cut way back. (One physical fight this past week, and that was among children.) The overt excitement level is pretty damn low.

I admire the skill of execution but the choice of story is peculiar.

Belgian guy repped this.
  23. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. Makes me appreciate IASIP so much more. :D

Belgian guy repped this.
  24. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with House is that the source material is written in such broad strokes that you only get a minimal grasp on who these characters are, and obviously the writers of the show weren’t able to turn those basically historical figures into compelling characters (I still haven’t watched anything beyond recaps, and don’t know if I want to). GRRM writes some brilliant and hilarious dialogue, a lot of which made its way directly into GOT, but there wasn’t anything of the sort to include in this show, so I’m not surprised it suffers in comparison.

Belgian guy repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I have a theory that the studios see this stuff as some kind of cross genre mishmash of cosplay period drama and super hero fighting

The thinking all along has been "we need our own game of thrones", or "we need another game of thrones" so to them that means castles and people in costume, rather than what actually made early GOT great.

It's interesting that ROP got way better when it veered back towards pure fantasy/D&D tropes

The large ensemble cast stuff is very very challenging to write. The other show that executed it to a high standard is Lost.

Chesco United and luftmensch repped this.