Ownership Saga: Are we sold, again? [R]

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by mariebannerlfc, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChanceTheDog

ChanceTheDog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    lexington

I'd just like to point out that your man Hicks hasn't even started to brake ground on this new stadium yet. I'm sorry but I think it's more a case of you letting patriotism get in the way of good judgment, rather than other people being anti American.

2. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006

well said he sounds like a leeds supporter who paid no interest in what the board was doing

3. CingRed

CingRed New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Anchorage, AK
    I'm no Hicks & Gillette sympathizer nor do I believe they are the boogymen, like some here make it out to be. As for breaking ground for the new Stadium...we shall see.

And you have no patriotism right???

By the way...how are the Stars and Habs doing these days???

ps- you still need to work on spelling ;-)

4. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Handbags, ladies, handbags.

Lets fight this out on a logical front -- not on spelling, nationality, or personal animous.

5. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Too right. For all the hot air and the inevitable invectives, I suspect the real differences [in opinions] are wafer-thin.

Hicks and Gilette have behaved deplorably but there is precious little evidence that DIC would be any better. Also, Hicks seems to have done what he ought to have done in the beginning; read and pass English Football 101. I still think he hasn't delivered on his promises-- not to load the club with debt or brought Snoppy Dog (was that Gilette?) and the stadium's construcion looks as far away as it was in 2005. And as Matt said, once that starts, he'll have to go back to the banks to ask for dosh. It is a poor model, very poor. Too much scope for slippages a la Leeds United. That makes me very uncomfortable.

6. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Hmm, I was enjoying this for a while. It was a decent discussion with merits and good points on both sides.

But this post is just plain petulance.

7. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Yeah, I read that last night and thought better of responding because I didn't want to pour gasoline on a spark. This is the LFC forum and not Chelsea's so lets steer clear of this sort of thing. We are Reds! It's O.K. to have a differing opinion but let us leave the personal stuff alone and try to show the same respect for each other as we do for the club. LFC is a family. YNWA.

8. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    My thinking is somewhat along these lines also.

Like I mentioned earlier, every one welcomed the "Americans" as the guys in the white hats come to save us from being owned by a Thai with dubious business and human rights practices and a bunch of oil rich A-rabs who just wanted to offset some money overseas to enhance their portfolios.

I still blame peoples gullibility when reading or watching the British tabloid press/media and the way their knees jerk in reaction to each conflicting "story."

9. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Agreed.

10. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See. Now, if it was me, I would have just started calling him names. :) To each their own.

I suppose we could get Royale Stilts out here and all three of us could "match-wits". ;)

11. luciusmagister

luciusmagister New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    7th Heaven
    Its hard to match when I only got 1/2! :D

12. CingRed

CingRed New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Anchorage, AK
    As for the spelling crack...read Chance's bio. ;)

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

all right it is a self-admitted flaw but still its ad hominem not a logical arguement

14. CingRed

CingRed New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Anchorage, AK
    I don't give a rip how people spell, it has no credence to our discussion (as long as I understand their point). I thought his userprofile was funny though and committed on it. Nothing more.

15. AndSomeAreAngels

Jun 7, 2003
    Brokelyn
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, the irony.

16. CingRed

CingRed New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Anchorage, AK
    See...too funny! ROFL

17. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
  18. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I feel much better now -- the club is to be run by one of Randy Prince Andy's ex-girlfriends with the impossibly posh moniker of Amanda Stavely. Probably very familiar with cricket and fox hunting but not with the Kop.

19. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    She is actually a partner at a company called PCP which I thought was a banned substance!

Oh the news now is that the deal has to be done TODAY!!!!!!!

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...ke-400m-bid-for-liverpool-fc-100252-20554723/
    and
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2261941,00.html

Although the Times say that no deadline is involved

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/liverpool/article3481138.ece

However it is now clear that the bid has been made and negotiations ARE ongoing.

All reports indicate Gillett wants out but it all hinges on what Hicks wants to do.

20. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ... DIC has just denied the deadline bit. Seems somebody at the Beeb has, once again, been telling porkies.

21. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Yeh, I've just read on Setanta that Hicks denied talking to DIC but that DIC said that they're in negotiation with Hicks and no deadlines have been set.

Too lazy to go back and find the link..:)

22. tarheelfan490

tarheelfan490 New Member

Nov 12, 2004
    arlington, va
    i just caught up on about a week's worth of posts, so this might seem out of the blue, but i was hoping y'all could clear some things up for me: a few days ago hicks's desire to win was questioned, but it seems like he could sell, make a profit and be done with it. if he wasn't interested in winning why wouldn't he just get the devil out and not deal with the headache? why would he be raising funds to buy out gillett so he could have total control? also, i don't understand a lot of the money stuff and i don't know how the owners got their money, but i've been operating under the assumption that they are businessmen who acquired their riches through hard work and business acumen, not inheritance or the lottery. i don't know how good they are at it, but assuming the aforementioned is true i figure they're at least better than me, as they're billionaires and i'm not so much. if i'm wrong on either subject, please relieve me of my ignorance

23. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Where ignorance is bliss it's folly to be wise, far better to be ignorant, like me.

Old Beeb song... :)

24. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

you are too smart for this thread

25. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    No kidding.

It would take me 6 paragraphs and several bullet points to make the same point less convincingly.