Rumor: Owen Hargreaves rumour: "linked" to TFC

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by jpg75, Apr 16, 2011.

?

Should TFC sign Owen Hargreaves?

Poll closed Apr 26, 2011.
  1. No. Are you kidding me? The guy is the biggest traitor ever!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No. He's hurt all the time, I don't care if he's "English" or "Canadian"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes. He's still Canadian and will make our team better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes. I hate what he did, but he's still a good player and makes us better.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I really question whether this is true or not, but I would like the powers that be at TFC (Paul Beirne, i know you lurk this board) that if there is even one iota of truth to this rumour, please, for the love of god DO NOT SIGN THE TRAITOR OWEN HARGREAVES!!!

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/0...-owen-hargreaves-linked-with-mls-summer-move/

"Injury prone Manchester United midfielder Owen Hargreaves may be the subject of a move to the MLS with Canadian sides Vancouver Whitecaps and Toronto Fc apparently interested in signing the England international when his contract expires in the summer."

I have added a poll, to gauge the level of disgust among us. Please let your voice be heard.

2. ArteEtLabore

ArteEtLabore Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't have the hatred that others do towards Hargreaves. In my opinion, people have the right to choose their country and citizenship. His choice is not one that I would have made, but he still has the right to make that choice.

The second choice on the survey catches it perfectly though. How many games has he played in the past 3 years? It's too risky spending the money and a DP spot on anyone that undependable when there is a salary cap and only a limited number of DP spots.

I also don't like the idea of Canadian teams bringing him back like he's a hometown boy or something. While I believe he has the right to choose his country, this will only send the message that players can chose to be Canadian when it is convenient. It's like saying that he can be a Canadian, yet play for a different country.

3. Doom Boy

Doom Boy Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Dumb rumour. Even if there was some truth to it, it definitely is not going to happen. Why?

a) The emphasis that Marriner/Winter have is on youth.
    b) 30 year old injured player out of football two years - this is not worth the risk
    c) Midfield is probably strongest part of team. Emphasis should/will be on getting a striker
    d) Contract would be stupidly expensive to pick up
    e) Hargreaves would have no interest in playing in MLS - I could see him playing being picked up by a newly-promoted Championship team, or perhaps returning to a middle-range Bundesliga team.
    f) it would be a marketing disaster for MLSE, based upon the very strong feelings that CMNT fans have about him. I can hear the prolonged booing everytime he touches the ball - by our fans.

...besides, I don't like him.

1 person likes this.
  4. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Probably more likely he'd go to Whitecaps than here. He's from out west (Calgary) so if he's a homer for any club, that would be the one.

5. adammac19

adammac19 BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2006
    Sydney Mines
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I wouldn't touch him, he couldn't be a player to play week-in week-out, he just doesn't have the durability for it.

6. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I'd expect he'd sign with Vancouver before TFC. Though a healthy Hargreaves would definitely help us out.

I'll echo ArteEtLabore's points about his NT choices and leave it at that.

7. davidsanchez157

Oct 30, 2008
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In other news, Mario Balotelli will be available at the transfer window :p

8. mode_m

mode_m New Member

Jul 23, 2008
    Any other rumours kicking around? I Do not want to see Hargreaves here, he is best sitting on the bench in Manchester.

I'll start two unsubstantiated rumours in hopes they will come to fruition:
    Drogba and Forlan both out of contract 2012 and will be the 2nd and 3rd designated players for TFC. MLSE to dish out serious cash to make it happen. mode_m wins many trophies in Fifa11 on ps3.

9. TFCviaUK

TFCviaUK Member

Jul 10, 2007
    What about the possibility of trading up the allocation rankings to get Benny Felheiber (who has just signed with the league)? Is he worth it trading up to get him? Is he worth a DP contract (which he will likely cost)?

10. Doom Boy

Doom Boy Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Apparently (sorry no source, but I can't remember what I was reading) his contract and transfer will not reach DP levels.

11. deepm

deepm Member

May 13, 2009
    Mississauga
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I read the same. It was in one of the articles on the MLS website. He won't count as a DP.

12. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Seriously though, Hargreaves isn't somebody we should be pursuing, we don't need a player for his position, and especially not one who gets injured so often.

No to mention, regardless of how you feel about his choosing England over Canada, you have to recognize that a huge number of people would be outraged by this move.

13. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    All true points. After Saturday i think it's clear we need some attacking players, guys who can put the ball in the net. If we fall behind in a game we're pretty much screwed at this point. Watching everyone passing backwards whenever they reached the final third hit home that we're missing something after trading DeRo away. By my estimation we have enough cap space to sign 1 or maybe 2 DP's (or players that combine to eat up close to twice the $335K cap max.).

14. sokerguy18

sokerguy18 New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    We do need a pure goal scorer, for the future. But I think right now Winter is trying to secure a solid defensive core, while not spending too much. I don't expect Winter to dish out big money at defenders, he wants strong, able defensemen who are solid, so then we can spend good money on highly skilled offensive gems.

15. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I feel like we should have a DP in each part of the field. Get us an experienced, big-name defender, who can fit into the system. Sign him as a DP and get him out there marshalling the defence. Must be vocal.

Same for forwards, a DP for a striker would give us a well rounded team...assuming of course that the DP striker is also chosen based on our on-field needs and not on name-recognition.

Basically, having some guys who can lead each part of the field, and be role models for the new youth who've been watching them as they developed over the years.

16. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    the Whitecaps owners and FO are not stupid... and signing hargreaves would be STUPID for any MLS team-- he's done as a quality player with his wonky knees- imagine him trying to come back on turf!!??

17. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    how about getting a guy at a position of need?

according to transfermarkt and THIS forum that tracks player movements in the Turkish league Mike Klukowski was just released on a free by Ankaragücü.

anybody know an MLS team that sucks at left back and might want a Canadian international?

somebody should send an e-mail to the front office ...

18. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, and then maybe we can grab Iain Hume for striker, too...

Dreams are nice...

19. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    he's a free agent ... where's he gonna go between now and the end of the season. this is the PERFECT time to go and get him.

Benny Feilhaber is a far bigger player on the club and international scene than Klukowski so there is no reason a smart Canadian team in MLS couldn't scoop him up ... Vancouver already has Rochat at LB so that just leaves TFC who has ... um, who was that again at LB? Boorman? yeah ... i'd get on that double quick if i was Paul Mariner.

20. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Borman's been doing fine, actually. Yes, Klukowski would be a massive improvement, but really, I don't know that he would want to be with TFC. My understanding was that he asked to leave his club, the general concensus on the Voyageur's board is that he'll trade up for a higher level in Europe.

21. PoorService

PoorService New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    this shit bag is ALWAYS hurt. Why do we want to deal with that? would be a terrible decision to give him a DP deal here.

22. sokerguy18

sokerguy18 New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I don't think Hargreaves will be in toronto. They wont bother with an old injury prone guy.

Player that I would like to see pursed is Real Salt Lake's winger/midfielder Will Johnson. Canada kid, Toronto born and has experience in Holland playing in the first division as a winger.
    He is a superb player and would be a perfect fit.
    Winter, get this kid over here!

23. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Johnson signed an extension in the off-season with RSL, he also looks poised to be winning the Champions League with them and moving on to the Club World Cup. He's happy where he is.

24. Doom Boy

Doom Boy Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Ever wonder if Mo had had a chance to pick up Will Johnson's rights from Chicago when McBride came back?

25. sokerguy18

sokerguy18 New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    We cannot speculate how happy he is. Obviously, any player would be happy with success and being able to represent all of MLS on a grande stage, but for the right pieces, RSL will make trades.