Owen Hargreaves in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by canuck51, Aug 22, 2010.

1. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I have to agree. You never see a thread like this on BigSoccer.

I have to wonder though, if this is just a sign of the times. Hockey has a strong patriotism to it, and from everything I've seen is something of an "old guard" sport in Canada. I like hockey, I love soccer. I too get frustrated at the lack of support and outright disdain drawn by soccer from the average Canadian fan.

I also get angry when I hear soccer supporters saying things like "soccer is the sport of the future" or denegrating other sports, because I honestly can't think of a more sure-fire way to drive away potential support for the game in Canada.

Back to the "changing times" point. Does nationality really matter in today's world?

Sport is in many ways expressive of culture, politics, pretty much everything that builds a country. Soccer is "the world's game". It is the internationalists' sport. Given this, does it really make sense that potentially great players would allow something like nationality to stand in the way of their success?

It has been said that soccer is a religion unto itself. If that were the case, then you could think of teams like England and Germany as transcending nationality (even though they are national teams) as if they were a sort of soccer "mecca".

It's a very complex issue, and I think the importance of nationality is different for everyone. That being the case, can you really fault FIFA for having loose rules on the matter?

2. herthabsc

herthabsc Member

Jun 20, 2007
    I don't know if I'd go quite as far as suggesting a totalizing "transcendence" of nationality.

However, I do think that:

a) in an increasingly internationalist context, "nationality" is a much more complex issue than it was in older, simpler, more parochial, (and let's not mince words, also more bigoted and intolerant) days.

b) in an increasingly capitalist context, money is a huge motivating factor, for national-team allegiance switching every bit as much as nationality-switching is for non-footballing-based emigration.

I don't see anything strange with players who emigrate to countries like Canada as children and grow up there opting to play for Canada, even if they get their citizenships much later in life. This is increasingly happening in Germany as well as the demographic shift to an immigration-based society ripples through the new generation of players. (Ironically, in the German case it leads to claims that the team is no longer "German", missing the point that what's actually happening is a shift in understanding of nationality towards something closer to Canada, ie away from "blood" and towards "voluntary citizenship").

Some players make choices that are obviously about a sense of nationality, even to the detriment of likely earning power - Nuri Sahin comes to mind. Others revenge for feeling slighted by youth systems (Kevin-Prince Boateng), others the opportunity to crack a national squad that they otherwise couldn't come within a country mile of (Jermaine Jones). Still others money, exposure, and better career prospects through a shot at a WM (IMO Hargreaves). The difference in the examples is that Hargreaves is the only one in that list who needed to dress up his motivations as something nobler than they likely were, and I think there's something pathetic in that.

3. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    In defence of what I said three posts ago, and in line with some of the things you guys are bringing up:

I think this is why I don't care that much about Hargreaves and DeGuzman. Not because I don't care about Canada's NT, but because I find that the globalizational trend of the world is increasingly making national teams such a melting pot as to be of very little interest to me. I like the idea of a Welsh squad full of Davies, Jones, and Griffiths taking on a Finnish team full of Kiiveris, Jokinnens, and Ahtisaris. Once you start throwing in Muninhos and Moraleses born in other countries, the idea of national squads and style sort of disappears. And with that disappearance goes a lot of the racism and tribalism -which is good. But the globalization is why I just can't get excited about national football. National just doesn't feel very national to me. So now I am club before country. And when my club signs BC boys, it's just the icing on the cake.

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hargreaves is so injury prone. It's like having another Thorrington on the team. He'll always be injured and never play!! and take up a huge cap hit at the same time!!

I'm not sure the gamble is worth it.

5. ChinaDan

ChinaDan Member

May 29, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    There was quite a lot of talk in the press recently about this dealing the French National team, too many players brought up through the youth system only to end up playing for different national team. Similarly its a major issue for Northern Ireland with a lot of players playing for the Northern Irish national team up until the U21s before jumping ship to play for the Rep of Ireland.

Like the Canadian National Team, the Northern Irish national team can't afford to loose these players from their pool of talent but as annoying as it is both for the national teams fans and football associations, I can understand it from the players perspective, patriotism isn't the key decider, its the chance to play at a major tournament that is the key selling point in my opinion. Truth is international football and representing your country just doesn't have the same appeal as it used to, however every player still dreams of playing at a World Cup! I'd also think as a youth international and being relatively unknown, the other national options aren't available to you at the time, unless somebody decides to notify that nationalities football association.

Back to Hargreaves, good luck to him I'm sure most football fans would agree that on his day hes a top player and puts in the effort for the full 90 minutes and more hes asked to. Providing he can stay injury free hes a top signing for any club. :)

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    do you really think that after 2 serious knee injuries and surgery, and after 2 years of not playing soccer, and having him play on turf, that hargreaves would be a good signing??? IMO he's a done deal,,, game over for his career-- no happiness here in saying that

7. Chris Brookes

Chris Brookes New Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    So unfortunate the way things have gone for him. When at his best he was imperious, hope he manages to play on for somebody.

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    has any1 heard the rumor that the Caps will have a major announcement on wednesday, july 13 re: a major signing? -- word is that it is hargreaves

if it is hargreaves, this comes with a HIGH risk/embarrassment factor-- if he gets injured within a game or 2, the Caps FO will look more foolish than they already have this season

if he is able to play for the rest of the season, then hargreaves at 80% of his playing ability of 2006 will be the best caps player (maybe hassli compares if he ever gets healthy!), certainly as a mid-fielder, the weakest part of the team

the Caps still need 2-3 more quality players to change the direction of the club IMO

barber and soehn are playing roulette on this and their reputation and possible long-term employment with the caps is in the balance-- they have been wrong lots of times this year-- can we hope they finally have a made a good decision??

9. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Yeah, the word around town is it is Hargreaves...but nobody knows for sure. It could be someone completely different or unexpected. It will be interesting in the morning!

10. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
  11. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
    Hassli will pair with the new striker. Camilo will slide over to the wing where he has been supremely effective.

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    not sure this is good news, but here it is...

http://www.theprovince.com/health/Whitecaps+still+race+Owen+Hargreaves/5258510/story.html

if the caps do sign him and he has a good finish to the season (ie. no injury reoccurrences; plays near his standards), i wouldn't expect him back for 2012

so why would the caps take him just to finish off the season?? its not like he will help the caps make the playoffs or win a cup-- another poor decision by the FO in the making IMO

13. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I can't see why he'd sign here if he has a deal from West Brom. They may not be at the top of the field, but at least they are in the EPL where other teams can see that he is healthy (if he indeed is healthy).

14. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    The WBA deal is off I hear.....

15. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    the latest rumor has hargreaves under-going a medical exam for Manchester City

it was only a pipe-dream and a last resort that hargeaves would sign with the Caps-- he hopes to recover his career in Euro and play for england in WC 2014 in brazil... cant blame him for that

i doubt if the caps were truly interested in him anyways, but it gave the appearance that they were serious about signing another significant DP midfield player to improve the squad, something of which is not on their radar screen

it looks like what we have is what we will have for the rest of the season :confused:

16. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Jarju is looking more and more like he will be a 5 goal a year man. Considering they presented him as a striker, I am very disappointed with him so far.

He has had plenty of time to get game ready and perform.

17. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    because the caps team and coaching are sooooooo unsettled, it would take more time for a new player to settle in-- its not a healthy time to come into a team and have an impact
    i think we should truly evaluate him come 2012 and a new coach and hopefully a substantially better team

18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    as reported on ESPN, it looks like hargreaves has been signed on a pay per play basis-- it should be interesting to see how he does on a very talented squad of players that have to be molded into a team
    i wish him well on his last 'kick at the cat'

Man City have the resources and more patience than the caps would have had if they signed him-- the caps would expect a quick return on their investment while Man City can take more time to prepare him as they already have a loaded squad

a good result for hargreaves and for the Caps

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    this week, hargreaves played 57 minutes for Man City vs Brighton in the League Cup-- scored on a 27 yard shot into the top corner
    a good start to his comeback attempt-- whoever thought he would make his comeback with the Caps were wishful dreamers
    good luck to him!

20. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Dammit, sportie1, weren't you one of the wishful dreamers?? :)

21. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

However had he made his return playing for a crappy Whitecaps team on crappy field turf he'd probably have been taken off on a stretcher and his career over.

22. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it is always raining in your world.

23. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Actually I'm being intelligent. It's those that think Hargreaves opening game fortunes would be the same playing for a poor Whitecaps team on a terrible surface (even for those who aren't injury prone) who are living in a different world).

Sorry for being smarter than that.

24. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Dude, you are a miserable, lonely, negative guy who doesn't go out to games too often but thinks he is an expert.

Deny it all you like, call yourself intelligent. But, you really need to cheer up and have a happier existence.

I know you won't "get it" and all... but I just wanted to share some advice to you.

I am sure you will come up with some retort you think is intelligent; so if that makes you happy inside all the power too you.

But I think everyone on this board would be happy if you were not such a sour person. "Intelligence" does not have to be negative and serious all the time.

25. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

I don't need to come up with anything I think is intelligent to combat your idiocy. I am correct. Anyone looks better playing with better players, something that Manchester City is in spades over Whitecaps players. You don't understand that, that's fine. I don't think there is anyone here on this board except you that can't understand this logic. Discussing this with you is like a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

Stop trying to talk for everyone on this board, if they have a problem with me and my comments, they will do that themselves.

One further comment, if you want to make personal comments on this board, feel free to set a time and place to make them to me face to face. I hate cowards.