Owen article-interesting read

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Real Ray, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,9753,1349472,00.html

I didn't see this anywhere else-interesting piece.
    It's interesting dynamic now-makes me wonder if w/Hierro as captain, this would have gone over smoother. The Spanish lads run the show, as Macca was fond of saying, but when the captain of the club has a diva quality to him, as well being in the position to have to fight for his place (no thanks to Florentino, who keeps buying forwards)...well, you're asking for trouble in the dressing room.

2. Lockjaw

Lockjaw BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of crap. The piece itself, on Owen integrating is fine, but the Raul allegations are of course uncredited. Perez has denied being upset that Beckham was benched & the whole tie-in with the Camacho resignation doesn't hold water. Now I am not saying that Raul didn't make an arguement that Morientes should have been the first striker off the bench - he probably did. But that is a long way off from sabotaging the team's performance on the field. I am sure this type of fiction sells newspapers though.

3. illuminatus

illuminatus New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Malaysia
    I was just about to inquire about the credibility of this Sid Lowe character myself. I highly doubt any player could get away with sabotaging a team's results. I didn't see any evidence of Raul not passing to Owen, and i remember Morientes setting up Owen plenty of times. Other senior players have complained about Raul's supposed antics? I've never heard of any.

4. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, Illuminatus. Any one who actually saw the games knows differently. And who passed the ball to Owen for his goal against Valencia? Raul.

5. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, Lowe is a very good writer. Two, don't be naive: no player is going to put his name behind a quote saying that Raul tried to undermine the team.

As much as I like Raul, I find this very much possible. This is a fantasy team, put together by a president more concerned with "brand." And there have been other stories about the cliques in the dressing room-which Helguera did put his name behind a quote in this story.

Here's another way to look at this: If Raul was not a Spaniard-si no era el simbolo del Madridismo-would there be names behind those quotes? I think the answer is obvious.

6. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not buying it. There is no source named because it did not happen. I have watched every minute of every game this season. And your "very good writer" doesn't name a source which puts us in the position of believing our own eyes or Lowe's fairy tale. And it has nothing to do with who is Spanish & who isn't. The reality is, Michael Owen came off the bench before Morientes in the very first game of the season against Mallorca. Who has the beef - Owen or Morientes?

7. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well then sorry, you are naive.

Uh...the point point of the article is that Owen doesn't have a beef-that he's rolling with the punches with class and (in Lowe's view) deserves better treatment.

8. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    This is very much true, I was watching Revista de la liga and Guillem was assessing why Camacho left, and he has exact same views as Lowe.

Personally I believe this, and well...only ignorant Madrid fans will argue.

9. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    we gotta be realistic, the club is run by zizou, figo etc, and mainly raul.
    these guys call the shots, raul 'king of spain' has it how he likes, and until florentino perez loses an election, thats how its going to stay, so we betta get used to it!

10. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's funny how you claim others are ignorant when you have no proof at all to prove what you're saying has any basis at all....oh wait, I just noticed who wrote this. Nothing new. :D

If Raul ran the show so much, Morientes would not only not have been sent to Monaco, he would be a starting player. ¿Or are people now going to say that Ronaldo is better friends with Raul than Morientes? It's not like Morientes wasn't scoring for the team before Ronaldo came....so if Raul has that much power, it's not like it would have been mission impossible to keep him a starter.

#2: Camacho has said in his latest interview that Owen wasn't his signing, and it's been mentioned numerous times that he tried to keep Morientes in Madrid and promised him more time than he had gotten in his last year with Madrid. But no, Raul is the reason why Owen wouldn't get minutes (even though as already mentioned "Michael Owen came off the bench before Morientes in the very first game of the season") not like one would think: it being because of the coach's opinion. Obviously not. ;)

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't care either way what is true or not on this. All that matters is Owen is playing and scoring regularly now, and the team is picking up wins as a result.

Long may that continue.

12. Arwel

Arwel New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Crewe, UK
  13. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I trust my eyes more than what a journalist is peddling.

14. Lockjaw

Sep 8, 2004
    Kaiserslautern
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed your post. ;)

15. Fur Elise

Fur Elise New Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Sierra Madre, CA, US
    Agreed, if Raul had that much pull Morientes would be playing all the time.

16. KopThat!

KopThat! Red Card

Aug 16, 2004
    Isle of Wight, UK

Nice article. Especially where Robinson says Ian Rush was better than Raul. I agree completely. :)

17. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except this is a bit of a stretch:

18. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
  19. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Owen toasts passing his Spanish test

He has scored at the Santiago Bernabéu, found the net in the league, the Copa del Rey and the European Cup and boasts, although he would never boast, the best goals-per-game ratio in Spain. His family has, at last, left the hotel and settled into a house just north of Madrid. And now Michael Owen has flown through the final, toughest rite of passage yet.

Not sitting before his accusers in the media but standing before his team-mates and making a speech in Spanish. "We went out for a meal [on Tuesday]. There was no special reason - I guess it's just something they do now and again," the England striker revealed yesterday, perhaps unaware of just how rare such camaraderie is at Madrid.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1366271,00.html

20. gazzad_5

gazzad_5 Member

Jan 19, 2004
    sorry i only just noticed this now!
    no i dont know the place, i may try and find it actually!

21. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Owen: “The respect is won on the pitch, without complains”

This is the interview that is referenced in the Guardian article posted above.

The figures show that he´s the most profitable forward of the League. But he takes the situation quite naturally: “It´s my job. I came to score goals”. Owen says to be happy in Real Madrid: “I didn´t expect to come and play, I knew I would have to fight for it”. The English player rejected the idea of the team focusing only on the Rome game: “In the League we cannot let any more point escape”. And about his future he was conclusive: “I must win the respect on the pitch, without complains”. He´s a complete gentleman.

http://www.realmadrid.com/web_realm...icia.jsp?idnoticia=43675&sec=1&subsec=0&esp=2

22. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
    Owen: “My season would be very good with 20 goals”

Gravesen has made an impression on the players: “There was a lot of hope about him and he didn´t disappoint us”. Owen summed up in a press conference the impressions made by the Danish player. The number ‘11’ player ruled out any discomfort about Madrid: “I just want to score goals and play in this Club”. He said of the number of goals he would like to score: “It would be a very good season if I score 20 goals”. And he praised Luxemburgo: “He communicates very well, he talks a lot with the players and we know what he wants”

http://www.realmadrid.com/web_realm...icia.jsp?idnoticia=44191&sec=1&subsec=0&esp=2

23. Arwel

Arwel New Member

Oct 1, 2003
    Crewe, UK
    Re: Owen: “My season would be very good with 20 goals”

Hmm, interesting.

For another spin on the same interview, see http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1392781,00.html

24. La China Poblana

May 13, 2003
    Chicago
  25. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    You know, these reporters, they are the worst. I was watching his press conference on the news, and when a reporter asks you something like "do you like sitting on the bench" obviously he's going to say no, that he always wants to start, and then bam, the headline in Marca is that Owen is demanding that he replace Raúl as second striker.