Overheard during the Notre Dame game...

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by railguitar, Sep 1, 2002.

1. kasai

kasai New Member

Jul 15, 2002
    California
    Walton was on the radio today in SoCal. He attended high school in san diego at Bishops. This private school is the most elite in SD. He was always a two sport star and was recruited for both football and football (soccer). He was the leading scorer for the ND soccer team in his freshman year, but decided to play football after that. On the radio the interviewers asked him about his future in soccer and he alluded the question. He said he is concentrating on his football career for now. Too bad for US soccer.

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No offense, and I wish him the best of luck, but... well, we've made it to the quarterfinals of the World Cup without a single one of ND's leading scorers. I doubt if his absence will greatly effect the future of the national team.

3. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go muthafackin EAGLES beeyotch!

Even though we beat UConn by 8 only!

Walton, never heard of him in a soccer context, I've only known about him playing football.

So conversely, I went to BC, but I detest everything east of the New York state border.

4. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    This is really far a field, but you opened the door on Notre Dame...I would love to see the Rerun Show do a bit on the movie Rudy. Especially when Rudy is meeting with a priest about getting into Notre Dame. The dialog could turn quite lewd if it was handled the right way.

Back to why people hate Notre Dame...being a former resident of South Bend, many of the locals resent Notre Dame because they distance themselves from South Bend whenever possible. Town/Gown relations are rocky at best since ND does almost everything they can to limit local's access to the school. The only exception is when the city/county takes on large scale capital projects. ND loves whenever new water lines are run, roads are expanded or if the airport is refurbished by the city or county. Otherwise, they don't have the time of day for the locals.

One final thing about MANY ND alums--only their arrogance surpasses their ability.