Out in the round of 16 and into pot 3: The Rivalry thread

Discussion in 'Barcelona NSR' started by jfcule, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfcule

jfcule Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Continued from here.

Yes, my fellow cules, I know they're a nuisance, but we have to host the madridistas for a while longer. :rolleyes:

Same rules as always:

2. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    So, Macaluca, am I to take it that you wouldn't want a president to stay because of the fact that the club was being run well enough to win a huge amount of trophies? You don't like trophies then, I presume? Last season must have been incredible for you. Don't mind these glory hunters, we all wish we had the integrity to follow a tiny little club like you do.

3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Calderon wasn't dropped because he lacked success. "Last season..." and all, he had two League titles and a Basketball side not doing too bad (better than this season).

In fact, Calderon's League titles prove that success and how a club is being run aren't really depending on each other as much as people would like to think.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    His argument does seem a bit hypocritical, doesn't it? Anyway, this topic has already been beaten to death in the previous thread. Nobody was convinced that Madridistas support Real Madrid for any reason other than their trophy haul in the ancient past. So might as well just leave it... :(

5. Cormhag

Cormhag New Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Ireland
    Right then, what are the other hot topics up for debate? Well, Messi is the big one at the moment but they all seem to agree with us on that now so no point really . . .

6. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Whoa! :eek:

:(
    This is sad.
    In August 2008 some Madridista came up with the novel idea to begin a "rivarly thread" because A) their club had just successfully defended La Liga in grand, historic fashion, B) Barcelona was in massive turmoil with an unpopular president having only just survived a vote of no confidence from its club membership, and C) a young, inexperienced, raw coach was takling over the Camp Nou hot seat in what was believed to be, at best, a season of reassessment.
    "What field day this will be", White Trash Nation must have thought to themselves upon the opening of the new thread.
    And now here we are, 20 months later, and the Madridista-inspired topic is seeing a second consecutive run in the Barcelona forum because the LPB faithful are too bitter, belligerent, embarrased and ashamed of how their €250 million planned A Por La Décima! celebration has crashed down in spectacular fashion.

Looking back at that first post...

Oh, the irony.

7. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    If you'll excuse me breaking thread protocol for a moment and trying to explain this thread to a poster who seems to be taking this far too personally (though at least he hasn't sent me fffffffffffuuuuuuuu pms yet Cormhag) ...

Not as sad as a glory hunter, who keeps saying he's done with this, and then keeps coming back for more.
    'Needy' is not attractive in a man Unclesox.

Well firstly the Rivalry Thread was started on the back of another thread which was aimed at the Dutch posters who were making their presence known in our forum. It was kind of aimed as a fun way to mend a few fences, but (and I will admit this) it went a bit wrong.:D
    So I came up with the rivalry threads, which were not just aimed at Barca to start with but for all other fans who wanted to come to the Madrid forum and have a bit of banter.
    As it progressed, and following conversations with JF and Monty, we thought it would be a good way of getting our two forums interacting with each other without the trolling that was becoming an issue at the time, and from there, alternating the host forum became part of the set up.

As interesting as your theory of how this all started is, it is of course nonsense. I know you think you are fighting on the front line for your second club here but I'm afraid the truth is far more mundane.

Seeing as most Madridistas are quite happy posting on the thread while it is in the barca forum, and it is just the second team supporting glory hunters who think they are making a statement by not posting in the Madrid forum, your point doesn't really stand up does it?

The irony is that you have been crying about me calling you a glory hunter for page after page now.
    What exactly have I cried about?
    We've just had post after post of you going 'quote me, quote me, quote me, boo hoo, I'm not a glory hunter, I'm going, no wait I'm coming back again'

@Cormhag. Of course trophies are important, but they are not all I'm interested in regarding my club.
    If for instance my club's president was using my club for his own personal and political gain, was employing non-catalan/english speaking waitresses that he met working at a hotel bar, in our publicity department and having them travel the world with him as an easy f*** while the club paid... then I might just have a little interest in that.
    I guess glory hunters don't.
    My bad I suppose.

8. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    I understand where you come (because I am against what Laporta is doing) but this situation is special. He is about to be gone, he is footballing wise the most successful president of all time in our club. Somethings can be swallowed even if we don't particularly like it. I bet people who voted for President Obama don't like certain things about him, but can swallow them for the fact that he is good in other areas.

Lets move on cause this got old.

9. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    I was ready to move on at the end of the last thread, but Glory Hunter couldn't seem to let go.;)

So when that injury to Messi comes, as it surely must, do you guys agree with Pep that you're heading for la segunda?
    As cule whores go, I'd guess most of you would rather bed Leo before Flavia Massoli. Hell, if Laporta had done that, he might still have a wife and family.

10. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    You probably can't read, he said he would be coaching in Segunda, not Barca. ;)
    Does it still hurt we developed the world's best player and you had to spend 96 million to bring in the very arguably second best. :rolleyes:

11. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    And who exactly does he coach?:rolleyes:
    I'd rather spend 96m on Ronaldo than 1 Euro on Ibra.

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That sounds a bit gay. :p

13. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, there is such a thing as being fired....you madridistas are really acquainted with that, no more need of me explaining.

Well Ibra won us a Clasico, scored an away goal in the CL, and did not get beat by Alcorcon. Ronaldo has failed in all of those. The worst thing for him, is that either his old team, or his rival team will win the CL in his turf.

14. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    So naturally you picked up on it straight away.
    Not that there's anything wrong with...

Ah I see, so Pep would be fired without Messi. Well that's a good point jcv, and not at all one I was hoping you'd make...

...But on the off chance you did, I had thought we could start a poll of your fellow Cules on the options you have raised..

So based on Pep's comments and the only three possible interpretations of them... Without Messi, would:
    a) Barcelona be relegated in the blink of an eye?
    b) Pep be exposed as the shit coach he is and get fired?
    c) Both of the above?

It's good to see true (non glory hunting) cules, like jcv, exploring the real issues surrounding their club. Kudos to you guys.

15. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    BTW its manager not coach. Coaches are something else.

Yes Pep is utter crap, I mean the guy has only Managed for a year about to be two. He has done nothing, Messi just goes out and plays on his own. Pep is just a figure to pretend like there is manager, when in fact its Messi doing all the work. Messi said, lets get rid of Dinho, Deco and company. He also decided to play himself through the middle to be more effective against English opposition.

Hell Pep is so bad, he needed Sylvinho last year to tell him to make substitutions in Stamford Bridge to waste time after the goal. Lets get Rid of Pep now! *brings out Pitchforks* :rolleyes:

16. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    I'll put it down to English not being your first language, but no, it's coach.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. It was you who suggested the sacking option.
    I'll put you down for option A then shall I?
    Now anyone else want to vote in jc's poll?

17. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Its not, but I am sure its manager...maybe its the videogamer in me, but the game is called football manager, not fooball coach...just saying.

Ahh the bliss of ignorance. I played with you long enough. Obviously when Pep said what he said he was exaggerating. I believe you native speakers call it a hyperbole.
    It was stupid of me to believe you would have the mental ability to understand an abstract concept. Forgive me.

18. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Consider it a freebie language lesson, but 'coach ' is fine.;)

Ah Pep was exaggerating was he?
    Thanks for explaining, I'll modify your poll then to allow for the "hyperbole"...

So based on Pep's comments and the only three possible interpretations of them... Without Messi, would:
    a) Barcelona be a distinctly average mid table side?
    b) Pep be exposed as the average coach he is and end up managing a different distinctly average mid table side?
    c) Both of the above?

I hope this is better.
    Shall I keep you down as Option A?

19. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    This only confirms that your avatar and your posts truly do go hand in hand. Am done.

20. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Is this a Glory Hunter type 'am done' meaning I can expect you back in a minute?
    Does someone need to pm you if I reply?:D

21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    More in the, I should stop talking to the fool 'am done' :p

22. macaluca

macaluca Member+

Nov 24, 2005
    Park bench
    Are you done now (again):rolleyes:

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol So true. :p

24. El-CapitanoR7

El-CapitanoR7 Member

Oct 30, 2008
    La la land
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Last I checked-Real Madrid were first in La Liga. Barcelona are really trying hard to stop our engine, but somethings are just unstoppable.

[​IMG]

25. Richarded

Richarded Member

May 16, 2006
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You do remember the last time you guys came to the camp you lost right?