Our Lips are Tealed!: Let's unbury the Bunbury conversation and talk Teal

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Ghost, Apr 3, 2011.

1. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Expansion team or not, I don't remember the last time Finley or EJ displayed that kind of skill and confidence in a game. Finley's got the speed and confidence, but not the skill. Teal could be a great replacement for an aging Buddle. All I know is right now I'm glad he had choosing the US.

2. alky13

alky13 Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Manchester/NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Findley.

3. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember, you can't spell Findley without the D. D minus, to be exact.

And yes, I agree with the consensus here that Bunbury has a higher ceiling than Agudelo. However, I noticed that the Agu/Teal partnership against South Africa looked huge.

With Agudelo, Bunbury, and Davies all coming into form, I don't really worry about Altidore's current lack of form.

4. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agudelo is shaping up to be the more modern winger/forward/allarounder that has become all the rage in soccer lately(courtesies of CR7 and Agudelo's teammate, Henry).

I view Bunbury as becoming the classic forward who is great with positioning/runs, brings his team mates into the final 3rd, and, of course, is a clinical finisher.

This could explain why they combined so well against Chile and provides bright hope for the future, assuming everything goes as planned.

5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also feel the key to the US success is to get these two playing time together. I have nothing against Jozy, I just think is time to let these two gel.

6. FakeFlopper

FakeFlopper Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Austin, Tx
    Mah bad.. will note and correct.

7. chalaron

chalaron Member+

Aug 15, 2006
    Baton Rouge, Louisia
  8. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hats off to the to first Go-Go's pun I can remember on these boards!

I like Bunbury's potential more than Agudelo's because the has the potential to be a real center forward. Something we don't have, unless BB suddenly decides to play Buddle.

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Bunbury in Zakuani's corner during recovery

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/05/20/sportings-bunbury-zakuanis-corner-during-recovery

10. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  11. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Has there been a more disappointing player in MLS this year? He got off to a hot start and has done nothing since.

12. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    a lot of times it has to do on just luck, I have seen him played many times and he looked isolated with no linking help. It looks KC got it going from many different players, not just his replacement. I think this is like the Rogers selection over Agudelo and Rogers bangs a couple on his first game.

13. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is never a shortage of disappointing players, but he certainly makes the starting 11 of disappointment. His touch in the home opener was atrocious.

14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he's still young, what's do you think is in his best interest?

-tough it out at SKC
    -ask for a trade to another team in MLS
    -go abroad

honestly, i don't know if Teal is good enough to make it abroad. he probably could do well in a 2nd division side or a scandinavian league or its equivalent but if that's the case, why not just stay in MLS? but at the same time, it doesn't seem like he fits SKC style of play and Vermes i believe sees Sapong as a better alternative. So, i believe that Bunbury with the choice of trying to find a club that needs a FW but where he can get the service to boost his stats. What club fits that mold?

Crew? Dynamo? Revs? Dallas? Sounders? Galaxy?

15. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Good points, but until Bunbury works overnight on his touches, his options are limited

16. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    And his replacement, Sapong, looks really intruiging. I don't think he's US eligible yet, but he's spoken of his desire to play for the US.

Let's be blunt here. Bunbury didn't light MLS on fire last year either. People were projecting that he'd be an impact player for KC this season. But maybe not. We'll see. If he starts playing well again, I'm sure the USMNT will take another look.

18. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    He was born in Virginia.

19. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC

Yea how did you miss that he was born in Virginia, haha.

20. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Bunbury rediscovering his scoring touch as SKC surge

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/05/bunbury-rediscovering-his-scoring-touch-skc-surge

21. dsirias

dsirias Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Sapong is a more complete forward. I think he and agudelo would make magic. Their respective strengths/ weaknesses complement each other.

22. bobunbury

bobunbury Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Sapong has 3 goals in roughly 1400 minutes played; Bunbury has 5 goals in roughly 1000 minutes. I agree that Sapong is a good player, but Bunbury is more dynamic. Vermes loves Sapong;s style at forward (straight line) as opposed to Bunbury's hybrid style, a la Henri. Overall, the USMNT will be fortunate to have these youngsters in their fold.

23. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Agree with this assessment... both should get solid looks at cupcake imo.

24. SoccerScottWV

SoccerScottWV Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Charleston,WV,USA
    I don't see why at least one of these guys wouldn't see action next month. Maybe bring Bunbury in for Costa Rica, then Sapong for a friendly in December after he's had one whole season under his belt.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Confident Bunbury striking at right time

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2011/11/teal-bunbury-sporting-kansas-city.html