Our league is becoming to foreign!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by soccerfan, Nov 22, 2004.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going into the 10th season and i am somewhat worried that any team can actualy field 11 foreigners per new rules of 4 SI , 5 youth internationals and green card holders.

If you think about it some players have green cards and not eligible to represent USA, that means a team can field 11 players who have no future representing our Nats. If not for the strict salary cap we could be seeing this a reality and in some cases we will see this on some teams come next season.

THIS IS NOT GOOD for the future development of the american player.

This is worst then the NASL at least they had a rule of 2-3 minimum american players on the field at all times.

2. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    couldn't any team, in any previous season, have fielded a starting XI of all green-card holders?

our USMNT is doing great, more MLS teams with expanded rosters mean more opportunities for the young American player, and as they improve they can go overseas to make other leagues "too foreign" (if such a thing is possible in the world's game).

what are you really worried about?

3. Detective40oz

Detective40oz Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    American players are still undervalued in the international soccer market, thus as long as there is still a salary cap in place in MLS there will be plenty of spots for american players. They perform at the same level as most of the foreign players in the league and are cheaper...more bang for your buck.

4. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the American talent is there (and I believe it is and only getter better & deeper), the Americans will play. I think there is little to worry about under the current configuration.

Lee

5. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't you mean "too foreign"?

J/k

I actually don't mind that our league is getting more foreign talent. Most of it is from the CONCACAF region, which is something that I like.

6. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    The team has become steadily more American, in terms of minutes played, each of the last three years, after remaining essentialy stable for the first 6 years of the league's existence.

These kinds of histrionics ignore the fact that, although a team might be able to field 11 foreigners, they're likely not going to do particularly well. The quality of American players will prevent any situation like the one you're suggesting from presenting itself.

Comparing MLS's current domestic/international situation with that of the NASL is patently ridiculous.

7. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So - MLS expanding by two teams is somehow bad for the American soccer player?

Its bad because MLS rosters are being expanded by some 40% in an effort to expand the player talent pool?

This is bad because MLS wants to improve the level and quality of play at the same time it expands rosters?

This is bad? This is worst than the NASL?

And its too foreign. Our league is becoming too foreign!

And its not.

8. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I hate to agree with soccerfan, but...

No, wait. I don't agree.

9. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    The day we see teams consistently field a side without an American or two on the roster is the time to worry. The "cup is half full" side of this is that we definitely want foreign talent on our teams, if for no other reason than to promote diversity of play and the opportunity to show our young future players that the game can be played in many ways.

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    See.... I read the title wrong. It says:

'Our league is becoming to foreign' and I thought the sentence simply hadn't been completed for lack of space.

The sentence should read (I thought):

Our league is becoming to foreign players! , meaning that MLS is now an attractive league for foreign players. They want to come here to play. Ain't that nice!

But, no. It's just a misspelled title that's supposed to read:

Our league is becoming too foreign!

I don't agree with that.

11. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I wanted to join in the grammar check fun.

This is worse than the NASL. At least they had a rule that required, at a minimum, 2-3 american players on the field at all times.

12. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Paging Pat Buchanon

Paging Michael Savage

Paging all xenophobes

13. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    I love threads like these. I love threads started by mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers who fail to master the difference between:

"to" and "too,"

"lose" and "loose," and

"there" and "their."

It gives me a feeling of security knowing that the "No Child Left Behind Act" is working to teach our nation's public school students the power of the English language.

14. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really surprised that none of you see my point,

of course this 11 foreign scenario might not happen but then it might, and there is nothing to stop any team from doing that

Lets go back to 1996 they started out with 4 SI and some green card holders but that was the exception and not the rule, later on they cut it down to 3 SI .

Things started to get out of hand last season allowing under 23 foreign players but even that wasn't that bad they had a limit per league.

Starting next season you may be very watching a game with no americans on the field, will it happen maybe not but it could and that is my point.

yes i admit my english is not perfect, but i know my soccer and as a USA fan i am worried for what it might be

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You can't discriminate against the green card holders.

For all practical intents and purposes, they're Yanks with accents.

16. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    So by the logic, Brad Friedel has a green card?

17. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road

All joking aside about grammar, soccerfan... I think people see your point but very few people concede that it has validity. Some teams in the EPL and other leagues in Europe have more "non-domestic" [but EU-nationals] in the squad than they do domestic players; This is due to the allowances for EU players.

Increasing the allowances for foreign players into MLS won't lead to an innundation of foreigners into the league. Nor will it lead to an attenuation in the development of the domestic player, either. The net gain for roster spots/roles for domestic players far outstrips any "losses" in opportunity due to the inclusion of more foreign players in MLS.

Recall:

1. The small salary cap makes MLS less of an attractive destination for the top foreign players.
    2. The limits on "non-domestic" players in MLS is as strict/moreso than in other leagues.

In sum, I feel it is a non-issue as far as limiting opportunities for the domestic player. I also feel it is decidedly a positive as far as improving the on-field product for MLS.

18. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American players are not going to get crowded out. Only the two expansion teams will have 9 foreigners on the squad. The rest will have 4SI and 3TI. By playing with highly skilled foreigners the level of play will increase and the Americans will become better by playing with them. This will help the level of play in the league and raise the Americans.

You're focusing on one aspect of the rule changes this year. What about the fact that each team will have four more roster spots making more room for young Americans. The team will have 28 players, 7 or 9 of whom are foreign. 68% or more of each team will be American. This is nothing to get alarmed about. It is time for the xneophobes (sp?) to go home.

19. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    This is comedy gold, if you like linguistic humor that is.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bradley speaks a propeh Engleesh. It is you with an eksent.

21. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are two ways of looking at it, i was looking only at the side of the domestic player being left out. In my original post i did say thanks to the salary cap or else, and i never mentioned " top foreign " .

On the other side this is great move for MLS and its fans to keep the level of play as high as posible, for our resources are limited when it comes to quality players .

There is no problem "yet" and i am sure if clubs would start no domestic players MLS would impose some kind of rule.

Ask any english soccer fan how he feels having 2 domestic players staring for Arsenal for ex. and so on, what this does to the english national team.

I am not paranoid about this, and there is no need to worry, just be aware of what might be.

22. Khan

Khan Member+

Mar 16, 2000
    On the road
    Are you sure? Didn't you start this thread with the following:

So which is it? Are you "somewhat worried," or do you feel "there is no need to worry" about this?

Rework your theories, and get back to us, soccerfan.

23. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal fans don't mind the foreigners on Arsenal.

[​IMG]

The only people who mind are the ones who support teams who are (a) losing to Arsenal, or (b) not winning with their own foreigner-laden squads.

And the last time I checked, both England and the US National teams seem to be doing OK. Better than France, at least.

24. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I find that when chunks of sky are going to fall far from you they make a sort of deep *whoooosh* sound... but when they are going to hit close to you that they make kind of a loud whistling sound... so if you should hear that latter sound, make sure to take cover.

25. soccerfan

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I worry,

was telling you, you don't have to, but be aware, smartass

Obie, again yes Arsenal fans are happy, english fans might not be so happy

USA is doing well, again be aware of the future