Our Last Best Hope . . .

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by markmcf8, Jun 22, 2009.

1. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's crunch time.

07/03 - Fri @SaltLickers We will be lucky to tie.
    07/11 - Sat Home Toronto FC We should win.
    07/18 - Sat @Chitcago Almost certain loss.
    07/25 - Sat Home D.C. Untied Likely loss.
    August
    08/02 - Sun Home Flounders FC We better win!
    08/08 - Sat Home Crewless We might win.
    08/22 - Sat Home Wiz We should win.
    08/29 - Sat @CounterRevs Likely loss.
    September
    09/18 - Fri Home Crapids We might win.

I want to track our performance over these next nine games. We need six or seven wins if we even hope to be competitive. It's going to be tough. Let's hope for the best, and train hard. We might get some re-enforcements from July 15th on, but it is unclear how we will make space for them.

Go Quakes!! :)

- Mark

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm cautiously optimistic. Assuming that our players can get healthy, resolve the center midfield problem, and we can get a roster playing together game after game, I can see us going on a run again.

However, my optmism is that the team looks better and is competitive. We should get more wins and ties than loses, but it won't be enough. Just too big of a hole and need too many things to go right in order for the run to happen...

3. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last year, didn't we move Shea down to the dev roster, or am I making that up? I think we could do the same again, ie cut Roberts or the 3rd keeper or both and move Shea or Q or both, although they might have a contract structure that precludes it.

I think Denton is waivable, as is either one or the other of Ribeiro or Elliott.

Trades? I would prefer to keep the forward group and Cannon/Leitch/Zaher/Alvarez/Hernandez and obviously Hucks. Although I'm starting to get scared (the vet in me) about the repetitive nature of Hernandez' injuries.

I believe we're stuck with Cochrane. Don't know that anyone wants Convey and probably we should keep him for the departure of Hucks. Corrales is our best, expendable large chunk of cap space.

It would be odd to trade Pitch so soon after acquiring him. I think we'd be foolish not to keep BMac as a dev.

4. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So given that our last lineup was a patchwork, and that Frank usually runs out the same guys if they win ... Who do you expect to get the start on July 3? and who do you want to get the start on July 3? And how much change is too much?

Go Quakes!! :eek:

- Mark

5. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it depends if Jason and Arturo are healthy and Glenn returns from vacation. I don't think the team played well enough for the lineup to stay the same. Also, will Elliot be back from South Africa (He looked decent in the games).

Ribiero needs to sit and McDonald should move from center defense to midfield. Too many unknowns at the moment to discuss the lineup...

6. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting ideas.

We can sell Elliott to Wellington. He is not fast enough for this league, I don't care how he looked with his nats. He's not getting any younger. So we should sell him asap.

Corrales we proabably cannot trade. If we can, we should. Otherwise, I think we are just going to have to waive him. This is why I keep suggesting that we make him a youth coach, or scout. Let's move him to some other part of the organization if we can't trade him. But let's get him off the roster.

We probably can trade Pitch, but I'd like to keep him and start him next to Jason, at least until we can find a better replacement.

Ribeiro? I don't really care. Keep him, cut him, trade him, sell him, whatever. He doesn't make enough money that it's a big deal (at least this year he doesn't).

BUT, if Frank is not willing to part with Ramiro or Simon, then Antonio Ribeiro must go.

I think we should keep Convey because we will need him next year.

Zaher, Leitch, Jason we keep for sure, but we will need backups, especially for Leitch who is getting on in years. We can ditch either Corrales or Denton, but probably not both. Denton we can cut or waive at the end of the season and sign a much younger replacement. Denton is cheaper than Ramiro also.

We should try to trade Roberts. Frank is never going to play him, so it's a waste to have him on the roster.

Cochrane we need to trade or cut the instant he gets healthy. I'm not sure we'll get many takers. Probably he goes on a conditional draft pick basis. If he can stay healthy for his new team, we get a decent pick, if not, we get a warm case of Yoohoo.

We're almost certain to lose Hucks at the end of the season.

I'll have to wait and see who else I think should go, other of course than Frank and JD who I wanted to sack three or four weeks ago.

Go Quakes!! :(

- Mark

7. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, if our "last best" hope doesn't work out, I'm holding out for our "last 2nd best" hope. :)

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over in the Gold Cup Callups thread ThreeApples wrote:

- - -
    The final rosters were released and DeRo and Serioux are skipping to Gold Cup to stay with Toronto.
    - - -

So that's going to hurt our chances against the Hosers. DeRo is one of their main men. Serioux is a starter for them, yes? In any case, it's not helpful and we need to be successful now.

It was weird hearing Wondo and Ribeiro saying that they thought our team was good. But their perspective is: 2-1-1 and 1-1 respectively. They only just got here. We're going to need to keep up that 2-1-1 pace if we hope to make the playoffs.

Go Quakes! :eek:

- Mark

9. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's crunch time. One down, eight to go.

07/03 - Fri @SaltLickers - 1:1 tie
    07/11 - Sat Home Toronto FC We should win.
    07/18 - Sat @Chitcago Almost certain loss.
    07/25 - Sat Home D.C. Untied Likely loss.
    August
    08/02 - Sun Home Flounders FC We better win!
    08/08 - Sat Home Crewless We might win.
    08/22 - Sat Home Wiz We should win.
    08/29 - Sat @CounterRevs Likely loss.
    September
    09/18 - Fri Home Crapids We might win.

We need six or seven wins in the next eight matches if we even hope to be competitive.

Go Quakes!! :)

- Mark

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think signing another 2008 Huckerby like player would do the trick too!

11. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, but we have not even heard any rumors that our brain trust are looking to sign anyone. They have cleared two roster spots, and as some are quick to remind us, depending on how many allocation shekels we have in our piggy bank, we may be able to sign one or two quality players.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and pouring libations to the Soccer Gods. I suggest you do the same.

Here's a depressing thought. If our season continues to head south (and yes, we've been doing better lately) a new coach will get a "You Suck" allocation, plus plenty of roster spots and salary cap space when he sacks a third or so of our players. Oh, and a new coach will almost certainly get Huck's salary back because Hucks is going to go home. :(

go quakes! :(

- Mark

12. oofinalheavenoo

Oct 30, 2006
    Daly City, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no more hope for this season. As soon as you accept this fact, the sooner you could look forward to next season and enjoy the other good teams in the league such as Seattle, Chicago, etc...

13. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I tried rooting for Chitcago once, but I broke out in hives.

Come on! I can't root for other teams! I can barely watch other teams! I find myself rooting for the refs. "Send him Off!!" "Eject their coach!" "Fine them!"

And I think that I have reached that stage where I believe that our season is done. We would need an epic run just to pretend that we might make the playoffs.

Maybe we get lucky and beat the Hosers. Then, we get a couple of new players in on July 15th. A center mid, and a central defender (because that's what JD and Frank are thinking). Our midfield comes together better, but we still lose to Chitcago because the new guys have only been in camp a day or two when we play The Wet in Chitcago. But starting on July 25th, at home against DC Untied, we go on an epic unbeaten streak that takes us all the way to the playoffs!!! And then ... And then ... my alarm clock rings. Oh Shit!

Nah, we're screwed. This is a hopeless mess and JD and Frank are getting sacked at the end of the season along with about a third to half of the team.

Woe is us. :(

go quakes

- Mark

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

I don't really remember what happened from 2000 to 2001 but from what I rem,ember two fellows named LAndy & Agoos turned it around in 01. We need two impact players of that caliber but there are none to be found. It seems that as soon as we try, they are all gone or another team signs then....either way, I agree, these guys just will not cut it!

10 Arturo Alvarez M-F 1985-06-28 USA S 6
    25 Quincy Amarikwa F 1987-10-29 USA S 0
    9 Pablo Campos F 1983-11-29 Brazil S 0
    1 Joe Cannon GK 1975-01-01 USA S 10
    5 Ryan Cochrane D 1983-08-08 USA S 5
    11 Bobby Convey M 1983-05-27 USA S 5
    12 Ramiro Corrales M 1977-03-12 USA S 10
    7 Simon Elliott M 1974-06-10 New Zealand S 7
    13 Cornell Glen F 1980-10-21 Trinidad SI 3
    31 Mike Graczyk GK 1985-07-26 USA SD 0
    21 Jason Hernandez D 1983-08-26 USA S 4
    6 Darren Huckerby M 1976-04-23 England SI 1
    19 Ryan Johnson F 1984-11-26 Jamaica S 2
    4 Chris Leitch D 1979-04-01 USA S 7
    14 Brandon McDonald M 1986-01-16 USA SD 1
    27 Aaron Pitchkolan D 1983-03-14 USA S 4
    8 Antonio Ribeiro M 1980-10-08 Portugal SI 0
    18 Jamil Roberts D 1986-03-04 USA SD 1
    15 Shea Salinas M 1986-06-24 USA S 1
    24 Andrew Weber GK 1983-08-09 USA S 0
    17 Chris Wondolowski F 1983-01-28 USA S 4
    23 Michael Zaher D 1985-09-24 USA SD 1

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, some of these guys at least better be good enough or we're going to suck for the next three or four more years.

First off, in 2001 it was a lot more than just two guys that came in.

We dumped: Abdul Thompson Conteh, Azziz (went home on his own), Harut Karapetyan, Mauricio Solis, Mike Burns, Jamie Clark (gone in 2000), Gio Savarese, Dan Calichman, Travis "Red Card" Mulraine, Ryan Tinsley (retired), Justin Evans, Gabe Eastman, Ryan Edwards.

That's a lot of guys. We had a good core of players to build on, but we traded or cut half the team.

We brought in: Agoos, Lagos, DeRo, Junior Agogo, Zak Ibsen, Dayak came back, Ekelund, Landon, and Eddie Robinson. Oh, and Wade Barrett returned from being injured nearly all of the previous season.

That's a good bunch of players to add to a decent core.

We have some decent players now. They might be a lot better if we had a few more good guys and better coaching. If we had two really quality center mids, if Convey can stay healthy and always play left-mid for us (I'm thinking of next year already), if we can bring in another really good central defender, we need someone to backup or replace Leitch because Chris is getting on in years, one more killer forward and Cornell Glen might actually be that guy!

The most frustrating thing is that we have a fair number of good pieces. We just need to use them correctly and inspire them. We wasted so many games early trying to make our team work with Corrales and Elliott or Corrales and Convey in the center of the midfield.

We still have a narrow chance to make a run for the playoffs, but realistically, I am just hoping to see improvement, and by improvement I mean wins. Not gritty ties, not games where we were close. I want wins.

We need to crush the Hosers this coming weekend. Let's hope!

go quakes :eek:

- Mark

16. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    I'm not sure if you did this on purpose or not, but we also brought back a guy named Ramiro Corrales from MetroStars.

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    FYI - out of 26 players on the roster at the beginning of the 2000 campaign, 11 were still there by the beginning of the 2001 campaign (in bold).

2000 SJ Earthquakes

0 Jon Conway
    1 Joe Cannon
    2 Dan Calichman
    3 John Doyle
    4 Mike Burns
    5 Esmundo Rodriguez
    5 Gabe Eastman
    6 Jamie Clark
    7 Justin Evans
    8 Richard Mulrooney
    9 Scott Bower
    10 Travis Mulraine
    11 Khodadad Azizi
    12 Harut Karapetyan
    13 Ryan Tinsley
    15 Ian Russell
    16 Abdul Thompson Conteh
    17 Jimmy Conrad
    18 Wojtek Krakowiak
    19 Ryan Edwards
    20 Ronald Cerritos
    21 Giovanni Savarese
    23 Mauricio Solis
    24 Wade Barrett
    27 Dario Brosep
    29 Mauricio Wright

2001 SJ Earthquakes

0 Jon Conway
    1 Joe Cannon
    2 Eddie Robinson
    5 Ramiro Corrales
    6 Ronnie Ekelund
    7 Ian Russell
    8 Richard Mulrooney
    9 Scott Bower
    10 Landon Donovan
    11 Manny Lagos
    12 Jeff Agoos
    13 Chris Carrieri
    14 Dwayne De Rosario
    14 Harut Karapetyan
    17 Jimmy Conrad
    18 Wojtek Krakowiak
    19 Troy Dayak
    20 Ronald Cerritos
    22 Zak Ibsen
    24 Wade Barrett
    27 Dario Brose

18. futbol monkey

futbol monkey Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Not before they make a few more horrible signings. Here's what I saw on Twitter yesterday:

We're not signing anyone from the Mexican National Team so I'm assuming JD was looking at players from Panama, Guadaloupe, and Nicaragua.

I'm feeling a lot better about the second half of the season knowing JD is on the job. :rolleyes:

19. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not, but not for this reason. There are some good players there.
    You sound eerily similar to Euro soccer snobs who believe there can't be any good American players just because the league in America is a lesser league.
    You think the Quakes would beat those teams?

20. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was just a mistake. Sorry.

- Mark

21. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the Nicaraguans play for rec league sides. Still, Guadaloupe has some decent players and so does Panama, and there may even be a decent Nicaraguan or two.

But we should have scouted these guys last season so that we could snag some in between seasons. Bringing in re-enforcements midway through the season is weak. We need to start the season strong. It's one thing to sign a player or two to bolster your side, to replace a guy who got hurt or sold to another league, but we are looking for essential players who should have been on our roster long ago.

So did JD scout the Costa Rica - El Salvador game? There are certain to be good players there. He ought to be scouting Honduras too. What with the political turmoil there, there may be some players looking to bail out.

And of course, we ought to be looking at their club teams. Anyone care to bet that there is at least one or two attacking midfielder types languishing on the benches of CD Olimpia, Municipal, Saprissa, Alajuela, and others who think that they ought to be starting in place of some aging vet who is clearly past is sell by date? That's what we need. Young guys hungry to prove themselves. Guys with chips on their shoulders. Guys who think they ought to be on their Nats, but aren't. And want an opportunity to shine somewhere so they can get a look with their Nats.

Maybe I should apply to the Quakes to be a scout? I could use a trip to Central America, or at least a subscription to Galavision, GolTV, and Telefutura! ;)

Go Quakes!! :eek:

- Mark

22. Via_Chicago

Via_Chicago Member

Apr 1, 2004
    Bay Area, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To sum up our situation at present, allow me to paraphrase David Bowie:

"Seems like we're trying not to lose...[when] all we've got to do is win."

23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not even that brining in re-enforcments midway through that's a problem per se. All teams use both their primary and secondary transfer windows.
    It's more that if they're scouting seriously for this transfer window it's pretty scary, unless it's players who have been targets and they're negotiating already and just there to "confirm" it's a player they want. Timing-wise for this season, they should have mid-season targets that are signed, very close to signed, (or battling with some other league for the signing) and are just waiting for the transfer window to open to actually play. If we bring in late window signings, it'll be about next year and probably just the dregs.

24. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    <sigh>

You are so right.
    We can only hope that when JD went to Costa Rica he actually looked for players and got some negotiations started.

go quakes :(

- Mark

25. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    The answer to the trivia question: "what MLS team had Dwayne De Rosario, Eddie Robinson, Jimmy Conrad, Ramiro Corrales, and Jon Conway on the bench?"
    :eek: