our fans are piss poor support for our team!

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mixmastermatt, Nov 3, 2004.

1. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    im ********ing fed up with these so called "fans" at highbury - especially in the west bank. every time i go to a game no one but me n my friend make any noise or chants. its a ********ing pathetic joke!!!

im not saying its everyone who goes to the games, before people start flying off at me, but it is a large majority.

there is a damn good reason we are known as the library - im ********ing sick of it so make some ********ing noise!

what must the players think? they probally are worried and they have a good reason too.

plus some ********ing security guard told me off for swearing too much last nite - im in the ********ing stadium, pissed off with our performance, pissed off with the fans - and im not allowed to swear!

BOLLOCKS TO THE WHOLE PISSING ************ ********ING THING!!!!

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH

rant over.......

2. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    on a plus note me and my friend managed to smuggle some beer into the stadium so we could drink all the way thru a UEFA game!

3. mis-e-one

mis-e-one New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Bedfordshire
    I've never understood why the atmosphere at Arsenal was worse than at other grounds.

Is it the type of fan who attends games? Probably not, since I'd reckon most other big clubs in England have more of the 'middle class fan' (so to speak).

Personally I think it's the shape of the ground. Other grounds (like Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge) are more bowl shaped whilst Highbury is four seperate stands. I dunno, just a theory. :)

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    First, to be pedantic, it's called the West Stand, not the West Bank, that's in the middle east.

Second, ask yourself these questions:
    1. Do you want to see the best players in the world at Highbury?
    2. Do these players cost a lot of money in transfer fees and wages?
    3. Do you want a new state of the art 60,00 seater stadium?

If the answer to all of these is "Yes", then the only way to do it is to raise vast wedges of cash. And the best way to do that is to put up the price of everything to do with games, from tickets to programmes to merchandise to hot dogs. Obviously this means richer people will get to go to more games, many of these have latched onto football as the flavour of the month and don't sing at games. It's not news, so I'm not sure what this outburst is about.

5. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    micheac, im not a glory hunter!

now dont get me wrong because the players we have and what we are doing is fantastic, but id gladly swap that for atmosphere and passion amongst our suppoters at the ground

6. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Well its singing isnt mandatory. I dont sing much, and it took southhampton going ahead last week for enough emotion to stir for me to make some noise, but even so couple of reasons it mighta sounded quiet.

1) The stadium has open corners so sound leaks out

2) It was a night game and the stadium always sounds different at night for some odd reason

3) There are a lot of 30 year season tickets in the West, and i imagine they seen it all :)

4) It was a UEFA game which means larger hoardings and a few thousand less fans in attendance

5) We only sing when were winning, siiiiiiing when were wiiiining

6) You were a wee bit drunk and your perspective is off key :)

7. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    We'll just have to wait till Ashburton Grove.

8. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thought you were a glory hunter never entered my mind. Just making the point. I think it's easier to make loads of noise when you're not as used to winning as we are. When do you hear noise at Highbury? When things are going against us, when we're behind, when there's a particularly inept display, when penalties are given against us, that sort of thing. It's easier to get wound up enough to shout and scream when you think the world is conspiring against you rather than when you're serenely cruising towards an unbeaten championship season!

9. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    What I've seen from past experience: The American football team here in Denver had a great old stadium, which was extremely loud and one of the toughest places to win for a visiting team in the NFL for 40 years, until it was deemed too outdated and torn down so that they could build a state of the art 75,000 seat stadium a couple years ago.

So once the new stadium opened, there was such a lack of atmosphere because of two reasons:
    1) The architecture doesn't trap sound as well because they wanted to make wider concourses and aisles
    2) With all the new amenities came a rise in ticket prices
    3) A lot of people just wanted to go to the game to see the new stadium and it became a trendy place to be on a sunday afternoon

I fear the same will happen at The Grove.

10. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i wasnt saying you were calling me a glory hunter but imo to want those things over atmosphere and passion you would pretty much be but thats my opinion!

we had a pretty bad performance yesterday and i still didnt catch anyone chanting or singing same as when were leading in the game aswell as when they had just scored!

and people im sorry, but the excuses its an open stadium, it was a night game, the advertising boards were longer, the wind was blowing in the wrong direction or the fact solar flares were interfering with radio transmissions just does not cut the mustard - they just arent an excuse!

look at pompey and their fans. their fans are fantastic - just look when we beat em 5-1 and they were chanting non-stop or when they held us to a 1-1 draw they were chanting "thierry sign for pompey"!!!

put yourself in the players shoes..... your playing at a stadium away and the place is just buzzing - thier fans are intimidating - electric!

then they get back to highbury..... need i say anymore???

11. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    well at least somthing is being done about this!

<a href=http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?article=235685&lid=NewsHeadline&sub=Make+some+noise+at+the+Carling+Cup!&navlid=&sublid=&Title=Make+some+noise+at+the+Carling+Cup!
    >
    Make some noise at the carling cup</a>

12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    i sat in the Lower West Stand last may against Leicester. My section never shut up, but I think it was because we had won the league and everyone was happy as hell.

13. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Is there I link im supposed to click on?

-N1

14. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I've never been there, but I recall really only hearing the crowd go nuts when a goal is scored.

15. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    We only sing when were winning :)

So matt, you going to the Everton League Cup game?

16. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    sadly i cant as i will be back at uni and cant afford/ have no means of getting to the game - but rest assured i will be in the bar!

i was at 2 home carling cup games last season v wolves n v boro!

17. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    heh its only £15. You'll spend twice that in the bar!. Bloody students - bunch of piss heads the lot of ya :D

18. The Singer

The Singer New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Burnt Oak, N. London
    The West Bank? Maybe you're thinking of the sc*m up the other end of Seven Sisters Road. It's the West Stand. I'm guessing as you rarely get to a game you were sat in Block T. Normally the home of away fans. I'm also guessing if you don't know the correct name for the stand you were in, you probably don't know the correct words to the songs. This being the reason why no-one joined in with you.

On Tuesday night it was only the West stand that was singing. And they always sing, maybe not as loud as other parts of the ground, but they most certainly sing. Block S are usually the ones to get it going. Especially as it's the block next to away fans. Try being in there against ManUre, Sc*m or chel$ki.

Anyway, at night matches, after a long hard days work, it's nice to sit in the peace and quiet. SShh

19. Dave_M

Dave_M New Member

May 25, 2004
    Enfield
    Wow you got all that from one typo. Im impressed. You should probably tell me next weeks lottery numbers while your at it... :D

20. mixmastermatt

mixmastermatt Member

Nov 18, 2003
    St Albans, England
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    rarely get to a game?

Not at all sir. Why do you disrespect me in this way?
    I demand a dual at dawn for I have been to all games when at home in Hatfield, yet when I am at Uni two hours away, I am unable to attend. This however does not mean that any of my passion is lost. I demand, old chap, that you take back those harsh words......

21. Jasonisimo

Jasonisimo New Member

Jun 3, 2003
    Boston
    hahaha surprisingly calm and collected retort, mmm. :D

22. Fabregas' no. 1 fan

Fabregas' no. 1 fan New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I only support Cesc

We started a fair few chants in the East Stand on Tuesday, but something usually happened e.g. we were just gettin into "VIEIRA, WHOOAAHH" after he made a good tackle, and then we nearly scored, so it finished.

Anyway, they say art is best observed in silence ;)

23. surfcam

surfcam Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least there are traditions and song for the English teams. Over here at NFL football games, we get "Who Let the Dogs Out" :eek:

24. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    or Rock and Roll Pt 2

thank you Gary Glitter and the Chicago Bulls

sha na na na na na na, HEY, na na na na

25. The Singer

The Singer New Member

Jun 26, 2002
    Burnt Oak, N. London
    6, 13, 15, 24, 36, and of course 49.