Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  2. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Inter Miami finalizing Luis Suarez signing on one-year deal
    By The Athletic Staff
    Dec 5, 2023

Inter Miami is finalizing a deal to sign Uruguay forward Luis Suarez to a one-year contract, sources briefed on the deal tell The Athletic. The agreement will reunite Suarez with former Barcelona teammates Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and Jordi Alba, who won four La Liga titles and a Champions League from 2014-2020.

Nothing is completely sorted on what designation Suarez will hit the cap at, sources say. The league will discuss potential roster rule changes this winter. Miami, and all other teams in MLS, will have until roster compliance date to finalize designations on their roster. Roster compliance date is the Friday evening before opening weekend in MLS.

MLS clubs are permitted three designated players (DPs). Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and Gregore finished last season as Miami’s DPs, though Miami can buy down Gregore to free up a spot if they so choose.

Inter Miami let forward Josef Martinez leave this offseason, clearing the way for Suarez. The club also has Ecuador international forward Leo Campana on the books. With the amount of games Miami is expected to play in 2024 between the league, U.S. Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions Cup and Leagues Cup, the club will need several options at all positions. The attack will feature Messi, Suarez, Campana, Facundo Farias, Robert Taylor, Robbie Robinson and others.

Suarez, turning 37 in January and whose deal with Inter Miami was first reported by the Miami Herald, spent the last year with Brazilian side Gremio, where he had 24 goals and 17 assists in 52 appearances (4,557 minutes). He’s been hampered by a knee injury that requires constant medical attention so he likely won’t be fit to play every single game for Miami, even though he did feature 52 times for Gremio and once for Uruguay in the calendar 2023 year.

‘The truth is that the first steps I take in the morning are very painful,” Suarez told Urugay’s 100% Deporte radio show on Monday “Anyone who sees me thinks it is impossible for me to play a game. My son asks me to play with him and I am not able to.

On the inside I have cartilage wear and that hits the bone. No liquid is generated but sometimes it gets stuck. Before games I take three pills and inject myself.”

The former Barcelona star has spoke about his desire to play with Messi one more time before they retire.

“I’ve earned the right to decide, to say enough and to enjoy the place where I’ll play next,” said Suarez over the weekend. “And for my kids, who have had little vacation time lately in order to stay with me and support me.”

Suarez starred for Liverpool, Atletico Madrid, Ajax, Groningen and Nacional during his storied career as he inches closer to heading on a new chapter in MLS with Miami.

Reporting: Tom Bogert, Felipe Cardenas and David Ornstein

[​IMG]
    GO DEEPER

Luis Suarez: Biting, racism, on-field genius - the most divisive player in world soccer

(Photo: Fernando Alves/Getty Images)

3. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Revolution considering Bob Bradley; Union, Bedoya reconciling; Seattle’s new DP? What I’m hearing around MLS
    By Tom Bogert
    Dec 5, 2023

There’s just one game left in the 2023 season, with MLS Cup between the Columbus Crew and LAFC set for Saturday. All 27 other teams are firmly in offseason mode and, within 48 hours after the trophy is listed and confetti is cleaned up, the league’s offseason calendar begins in earnest.

Ahead of the official offseason kicking off, here’s the latest I’m hearing around MLS.

Revs coaching search identifies candidates
    After naming Curt Onalfo sporting director, the New England Revolution is fully focused on their coaching search.

The club is considering Gio Savarese, Caleb Porter, Robin Fraser, Dom Kinnear and Bob Bradley, sources briefed on the search tell The Athletic. Tom Quinlan of WPRO first reported the club’s consideration of Porter, while Seth Macomber of The Blazing Musket first reported Bradley, Fraser and Kinnear.

Savarese was previously head coach of the Portland Timbers, making two MLS Cup finals during his time with the club. Porter last managed the Columbus Crew in 2022, leading them to win MLS Cup in 2020, as well as leading the Portland Timbers to win MLS Cup in 2015.

Dom Kinnear is currently an assistant on Pat Noonan’s FC Cincinnati staff and won two MLS Cups with the Houston Dynamo (2006, 2007). Robin Fraser was previously head coach of the Colorado Rapids, leading the club to a first-place Western Conference finish in 2021.

Bob Bradley was fired by Toronto FC in the summer and then went to Norwegian club Stabæk, where he failed to keep the club from relegation, taking over with 11 games left.

The Revs have already begun their offseason roster moves, triggering the purchase option for winger Tomas Chancalay to keep the Argentine at the club as a DP. New England’s roster is a strong one, led by Carles Gil, Chancalay, Dylan Borrero and others.

[​IMG]

Pedro de la Vega is a rising talent with Lanús. (MARCELO ENDELLI/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)
    Seattle’s young DP target
    The Seattle Sounders is in negotiations with Lanus over a deal for Argentine youth international winger Pedro de la Vega, sources briefed on the discussions tell The Athletic. No deal is agreed or done yet, but the Sounders have been working on a deal for de la Vega for a while.

De la Vega, 22, would be a young DP if signed, meaning he hits the cap at $200,000 instead of $650,000. It also means clubs are permitted to use all three U-22 initiative slots. He had six goals and seven assists in 40 appearances (3,219 minutes) across all competitions for Lanus this year. He featured at the 2019 U-20 World Cup for Argentina.

The Sounders have a DP spot open as club legend Nico Lodeiro leaves this winter. He’s eligible for free agency and a source expects Lodeiro to stay in MLS rather than return to South America. By the time the Sounders made the playoffs, Lodeiro had fallen out of the starting lineup, with Albert Rusnak playing as a No. 10 and Leo Chu and Cristian Roldan on the wings.

De la Vega is a winger who likes to drift in. He has already made 126 first-team appearances for Lanus.

Seattle has other targets for their DP spot, but if a deal gets done for a young DP (as de la Vega would be), Seattle could add two further U-22 initiative signings. Leo Chu is the club’s lone U-22 initiative player.

[​IMG]

Bedoya has been a leader with the Union since 2016. (Jeff Dean/Getty Images)
    Philly opens the door for Bedoya, Wagner returns
    After initially telling club captain Alejandro Bedoya he wasn’t part of the club’s plans for 2024, the Phladelphia Union have re-opened discussions about a return, and those talks are ongoing.

The decision to mvoe on from Bedoya caused a rift between the front office and locker room, with head coach Jim Curtin and several players public with their support for Bedoya to return. Cooler heads have prevailed and a return is a strong possibility.

“We made some mistakes in communication, all of us,” Curtin told media at a press conference on Monday. “Now we have an opportunity to rectify those, we have to find a solution that (makes sense for everyone). Talks are ongoing. … You guys know how much I value and respect Alejandro. We still have a chance to do the right thing and have Alejandro wear this jersey and only this jersey.

“I’m confident and hope that will be here in Philadelphia,” Curtin said.

Bedoya, 36, joined the club in 2016 and Curtin has said Bedoya is “bigger than anybody that’s ever been at this club, myself included” after the club’s playoff loss to FC Cincinnati.

The club is also back at the negotiating table with Best XI left back Kai Wagner. Wagner is also out of contract and after months of dormant talks, the Union now have put an offer on the table. Philly put a deadline on the offer, but Wagner has yet to make a decision.

Wagner, 26, has made 170 appearances for the Union. He was signed for a negligible transfer fee from German third-tier side Wurzburger Kickers in 2019, one of the best value signings of the last few years across the league and a microcosm of what has made the Union so successful. He had an offer from AEK Athens and would be among the most coveted free agents within MLS if he hits the market.

Elsewhere, the Union could lose forward Julian Carranza this winter as interest abroad continues to swirl. Philly rejected bids for Carranza last summer as they looked to keep the core intact ahead of the playoffs, but the club is open to a deal this winter.

Carranza, 23, has just one year left on his contract, lowering the potential value of any transfer offers as he could be signed for free in a year. He has 33 goals and 20 assists over the last two years after arriving in Philly.

Additionally, the Union is in talks with academy standout and U.S. youth international David Vazquez over a homegrown contract. The 17-year-old appeared in all four games for the United States at the U-17 World Cup this fall.

(Top photo: Fred Kfoury III/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    "The club is considering Gio Savarese, Caleb Porter, Robin Fraser, Dom Kinnear and Bob Bradley"

Ouch, MLS coach retreads-ville.

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I wouldn't want Suarez on the Earthquakes. Too much downside along with the upside plus he's getting close to 40.

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Too much downbite to go along with the upbite.

SoccerIsOurLife, mjlee22 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You know, I made a conscious effort to avoid the low-hanging fruit there.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Well, someone’s gotta be the one to take the first bite of the apple!

9. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Crazy that Suarez has to inject his knee in order to play a game, maybe every game? Sounds like the poor guy needs a knee replacement at 37. Altho he has a lot of past chemistry with Messi et al, it seems like Suarez will be a poor investment.

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    He was not exactly a bust at Gremio this year - 27 goals - all competitions. Still plenty of bite to his game. And he’s still “only” 36.

https://theathletic.com/5110916/2023/12/05/lang-suarez-brazil-gremio/

11. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And I hate the first two. Puke Portland green.

JazzyJ repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, i saw he still scored a lot of goals this past year, but the question is, how long can you keep injecting your knee and taking pills before a game? That’s what Maradona was doing towards the end of his playing career. The article didn’t say what pills Suarez is on, but obviously it has to be pain related and therefore at some point could lead to addiction or complete failure of the joint.

bsman repped this.
  14. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone thinks Suarez is gonna job out in MLS will be terribly disappointed when he doesn't. I think they will pace him next season, he's gonna score a shit ton of goals if he stays health.

15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #16490 JazzyJ, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    I think he is probably thinking one more year, or two at the most. One more reunion with his Barca bros before retiring.

16. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, won't be seeing him on fake turf.

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quakes05 repped this.
  18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why they have Campana who isn't a sloth.

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hasn't Klopas already been Fire coach like 3 or 4 times already?

don gagliardi repped this.
  21. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Imagine all of the chances that Messi and company served up to Josef Martinez that he blew, and that Suarez would not blow. But Campana is very good also.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “New Heights” Bid for the Right to Host the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup
    U.S. Soccer is proud to share that today we officially submitted our joint bid with the Mexican Football Federation to host the 2027 Women’s World Cup. (Link to bid book). Hosting the 2027 Women’s World Cup would be a once-in-a-generation opportunity for U.S. Soccer. The “New Heights” bid proposes an integrated partnership model that brings host cities, stadiums, partners and FIFA together, allowing the ecosystem to collectively tap into greater economic benefits and drive the women’s game forward. This is an important milestone in bringing equality to the FIFA World Cup tournaments, and we’re deeply proud to be leading this change. You can read more from the official press release here: https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/20...-bid-right-to-host-2027-fifa-womens-world-cup

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What’s the length of a generation? US hosted in 1999.

24. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    20-25 yrs?

25. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m listening to Garber’s 2023 State of the League Address on MLS Season Pass. I had never noticed before how much Don Garber looks like the pawn shop Men in Black alien Jack Jeebs who repeatedly gets his head blown off.

32E25525-0777-4829-9571-306E9DC31DF2.jpeg

DotMPP, bsman and TyffaneeSue repped this.