Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    This was in the middle of the extra period during the break when the game was tied. Just talking about how the coaches used that time.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way I saw it, Cincy was bunkering by the 34th min. I think they had 5 in the back for the rest of the game. I felt like they deserved to lose. I thought the same of LAFC in the following game, but Houston was just too sloppy to score.

I hope the Crew can be as relentless In MLS Cup.

The CIN game also made me curious about coach Wilfried Nancy. I was shocked to realize he had very little of a pro player career and had only coached in Quebec before this. Really makes me wonder where his coaching “genius” is coming from.

3. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #16453 JazzyJ, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    Well, he also coached FC Montreal for almost 2 years. And he was amazingly successful there, for a club that's kind of Quakes-like in talent level and roster spending - 37-25-17 - finished 2nd in the east last year. By comparison they finished 10th this year. Apparently he had some kind of falling out with the owner there, which is why he wound up in Columbus. Columbus was smart enough to pursue him, and paid Montreal for the transfer because he was still under contract there. Note to CL, hey, we could have done that.

But yeah, looks like he barely played as as professional, but got into coaching really early in his career, even coaching high school level (?) while playing in college.

Anyway, I haven't followed him closely but from what I've seen he's impressive in every way. They asked him last night before the game, "would you rather have style or substance" in this game or something like that. He looked at the guy like he was from Mars. Like, um, yes? Basically, it was we're going to play like we play, and we hope we get positive "substance" from it.

As for the game, I think Columbus throws numbers forward and they're good at holding the ball, so you really don't have much choice but to defend and counter. They're inviting you to play that game, knowing that they're susceptible to counters but they don't care. They are dictating the way the game's going to go. (Remember Jesse, and "we're gonna come into your town and impose our will on you!"? - Columbus actually does it).

LAFC likes to play the fast counter game and they're pretty good at it, so I think they'll be comfortable in that role. Heck LAFC had 29.7% possession against Houston, so I expect the Col-LAFC game to be in the 70-30 range in terms of possession and I think both teams will be happy enough with that. The difference between Houston and Columbus is that Columbus actually has talented attacking players. Houston has Baird and Bassi and Carrasquilla - not so great.

Boysinblue repped this.
  4. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ohhhhh i thought you meant post conference.

Noonan was defeated. Human emotion got him. Happens to all of us. I remember playing in ODP games and Olympic Trial games in the 2000's and theres games you just know your gonna lose and you can feel the door swing back into your face.

JazzyJ repped this.
  5. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah Noonan did a great job as a coach this year. But yeah I think he knew he was in a losing battle by extra time. You don’t see that very often in soccer, where one team basically has the other in an arm bar. Those F-C-C chants got quieter and quieter until I think it was like one guy at the end.

6. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I felt bad for FCC they're a good team that ran out of gas and ideas against a team that was going 100mph.

I agree with you and said it many times this year, the Crew play some of the best if not the very best soccer in the league.

I wish we had the offensive players they have. I'd be curious to see what Nancy would do with our team, he'd change our formation for sure like he did the Crew, add 2-3 game changers like Rossi and I think we'd be playing like them!

Luchi is going to disappoint me again probably.

JazzyJ repped this.
  7. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ManCity v Tottenham was a miracle today.

8. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    We need a couple more impactful attacking players to play that style. CL is on the clock for that. If it happens we’ll see what Luchi does. I don’t think he’ll ever be as uncompromising as Nancy. He’s more of a situational manager who tries to build a lot of tactical flexibility into his system. Nancy is dogmatic - in a good way IMO. When Leitch coached he was more Nancy school, so it’s a bit ironic that he’d hire a “game manager” type of manager.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So because Cincy was eliminated, that means Matt Miazga will miss the first 3 games of next season.

He is currently earning a base salary of $1,500,000 with the FC Cincinnati, with a guaranteed salary of $1,500,000.

Over a 34-game season, that is $44k a game.

Does this mean he will need to sacrifice $132k of his game salary, a fine or will it be both?

10. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 5 mins of regulation in LIV v FUL = insanely Goonie.

11. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a great game to watch, but, what was the miracle?:confused: City not putting the game away in the first half??

12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i felt the miracle was
    (a) Tottenham coming back to tie against ManCity
    (b) Tottenham coming back to tie against ManCity in the umpteenth minute
    (c) Tottenham coming back after Son scored a goal and then an OG. So hard to get over something like that, mentally.

13. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 5th place team coming back from a goal down to to tie the 2nd place team is a miracle? And City had drawn their two previous games.
    They tied the game in the 90th minute, it wasn't even extra time yet.
    That all happened in the first ten minutes. And the OG only tied the game up. Most of the game was left to play and they were still on level terms at City. I doubt they (or he) was that mentally crushed. And Son somehow was able to set aside his mental anguish to assist on the second Tottenham goal.
    Don't be so shocked at what professionals are capable of who play at the highest level. Did you see the goals Liverpool scored in their comeback victory against Fulham??

14. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re right, it’s hard to remember that after watching the Quakes and MLS for so long. :D

> Did you see the goals Liverpool scored in their comeback victory against Fulham??[/QUOTE]
    Yes, those were crazy goals too, although obviously Fulham lost their nerve at the end.

Look, everyone has their own definition of miracles, right? Tottenham, who have a huge number of injuries, came from behind to tie the best team i the world. You asked why I thought the game was a miracle, and I told you. You don’t have to argue about it. :p

15. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I noticed that USSoccer is selling bobbleheads for $80 each. !!!
    Is that the going rate now for bobbleheads?

https://store.ussoccer.com/

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    8DC1B40A-1872-4924-9AA1-66CB12F97A6F.jpeg

Quakes got a draw against Tottenham back in the day. Miracle? :)

17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    2024 Copa América -

CONMEBOL COPA AMERICA 2024 VENUES

Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada
    AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas
    Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina
    Children's Mercy Park in Kansas City, Kansas
    Exploria Stadium in Orlando, Florida
    GEHA Field at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri
    Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida
    Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara, California
    Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia
    MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey
    NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas
    Q2 Stadium in Austin, Texas
    SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California
    State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona

18. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I have no memory of that game, so i don’t think we went to it. Funny that Gareth Bale looks like Roy Kent!

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very curious how Allegiant will turnout for that. Will MLS pull the same?

20. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the game. Not because it was a 0-0 draw, but for the older Croat men running down to the railing at Buckshaw calling out to get the attention of Modric and Kranjcar, "Niko, Niko!', and "Luka, Luka!"

Beerking, mjlee22 and Boysinblue repped this.
  21. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 5 games against City Tottenham has 3 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw. so, I guess last weekend was like their 4th miracle in 5 games. :D

22. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need more hobbies! :p

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I want to know how they are going to play at SoFi Stadium in Inglewood?

From what I read on wiki:

FIFA said the stadium lacks a regulation-sized soccer pitch due to its narrow width, which has been criticized by FIFA officials.

To satisfy FIFA requirements, several field level seats would be removed and the turf surface replaced by a grass pitch.

In September 2023, Stan Kroenke threatened to pull hosting from the stadium until a dispute regarding revenue sharing between him and FIFA could be resolved.

This doesn't sound to good for a Copa America or a World Cup so i don't see how they will make it work.

It would have been better just to play at the Rose Bowl or the LA Coliseum.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmm… Levi’s Stadium! :inlove:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G