Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danny Musovski may never play for RSL again, if he's a trade option or free agent would you guys want him? I would take him in a heart beat.

2. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    #15802 JazzyJ, Sep 20, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2023
    Well, Toronto looked much better than I thought they would for at least the 1st half of that game if not more before falling apart. I think Insigne and Bernardeschi were trying to make a statement - "Hey we're superstars too!".

I guess Messi and Alba had a recurrence of "muscle fatigue"? What exactly is going on? First we heard "muscle fatigue" and then Twellman said before the game that he's carrying bit of a calf knock, but the team denied it?? And then he came out in the 1st half, and no report yet... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ He looked kind of rusty and didn't play great, by his standards.

3. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let’s face it, Messi has “Golden Goose Fatigue”

4. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Just not happy we let him get away.

SoccerIsOurLife and Kaitlyn repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I remember Josh when we was on Carlos Brazil’s Santa Clara Sporting team. Good for him challenging that stupid ********ing MLS discovery rule. I’m not a lawyer, but that sure seems anti-competitive and illegal to me.

https://theathletic.com/4880299/2023/09/20/josh-cohen-atlanta-united-mls/?amp=1

A representative for American goalkeeper Josh Cohen, who is currently without a club, has alleged that Atlanta United violated MLS rules while attempting to sign the player, in a complaint to the league that was viewed and verified by The Athletic. After this story published on Wednesday, an MLS spokesperson told The Athletic that no rule has been violated.

In MLS, unattached players have to be signed via the discovery process. In the discovery process, each MLS team maintains a list (the “discovery list”) of up to seven players that it will have priority right to sign ahead of any other MLS team. Teams can then either negotiate a deal with the player or trade the player’s discovery rights to another club.

Cohen, 31, is on Atlanta United’s discovery list, and had been in negotiations to join the club after spending the previous four years in Israel with Maccabi Haifa, where he appeared in the UEFA Champions League, won three league titles and was named the 2020-21 Footballer of the Year in Israel. Cohen’s contract expired this summer and the goalkeeper wanted to pursue opportunities in MLS or elsewhere.

The 2023 MLS roster rules state that a team must make a “a genuine, objectively reasonable offer” to keep a player on their discovery list within three days if another MLS club offers $50,000 in general allocation money for the player’s discovery rights. MLS’s position is that Atlanta United made Cohen such an offer.

[​IMG]
    GO DEEPER

Q&A: Maccabi Haifa GK Josh Cohen on facing Messi and Mbappe, USMNT hopes

In the complaint, Cohen’s representatives allege Atlanta offered a deal that was well below market value for Cohen. The complaint does not specify whether another club offered Atlanta the requisite allocation money.

According to the complaint, Atlanta’s final contract proposal to Cohen before the MLS roster freeze on Sept. 15 would have placed him on Atlanta United 2 — the club’s second team, which plays in the third tier of professional soccer in America — for the rest of the season. With Atlanta holding his rights, Cohen could not negotiate with other MLS clubs despite not being under contract.

The complaint has requested that MLS remove Cohen from Atlanta’s discovery list, and also states that they will not negotiate with Atlanta in the future.

Atlanta United provided the following statement: “We’re aware of the complaint but, per club policy, we won’t comment on contract negotiations nor on an ongoing complaint.”

Cohen can still sign abroad right now, as free agents aren’t beholden to transfer windows closing, but if he wants to pursue MLS, he will have to wait until the winter ahead of the 2024 season as the roster freeze date has passed for the 2023 season.

Cohen made six appearances in the Champions League group stage last year with Maccabi Haifa and was included in a U.S. national team camp in June. He won three league titles with Haifa and was named Footballer of the Year following the 2020-21 season in Israel. He made 161 appearances with Haifa after arriving in 2019. He previously featured for Sacramento Republic in the USL Championship.

(Photo: John Dorton/USSF/Getty Images)

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  6. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I understood the list as a way for a team to get first crack at a player, not as a tactic to keep a player from getting a job. I don't know about MLS rules, but seems like a violation of federal and probably state right-to-work laws.

7. SoccerIsOurLife

Feb 14, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Josh Cohen gets the justice he deserves. Not only was he disrespected by being given the "opportunity" to play with MLS Next Pro, but from what I heard the salary offer Atlanta made was barely above league minimum. I hope he can find a place in MLS and if it has to be with Atlanta, I hope is paid handsomely for his experience and talent. If I were him, I'd like to be as far away from Atlanta United as possible. I thought Garth Lagerway was better than this.

mjlee22, TyffaneeSue and bsman repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    Saturday, September 23, 2023
    Kristoffer Lund's super summer: Danish-America defender debuts for USA after move to Palermo
    by Brian Sciaretta
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    I guess it's very windy and that's probably a factor, but at the half, Philly - xG = 0.2, LAFC = 0 (0 shots). At this point of the season it just seems like MLS parity is taking over and everything is turning into a slog.

Edit: OK, 30 mph wind and rain, I guess that explains it, mostly.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I forget why the Quakes got rid of him initially.

Was it Jesse or Matias who didn't like Musovski?

12. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Matias said he aint good enough, he's back starting for RSL tonight, his contract holdout is over.

falvo repped this.
  13. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #15813 JazzyJ, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    Miami Dolphins 70 - Denver Broncos 20

Why don't you see 60's and 70's or even many 50's in pro football? Seems like most teams would run down the clock with runs into the pile when the score is that lopsided? Maybe someone had a score to settle with someone?

14. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No NFL team has scored 70 since 1966 — nearly 60 years ago (before @Goodsport was born).

Goodsport and JazzyJ repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Does Mike McDaniel have a score to settle with Sean Payton? If so, I guess he settled it even though I guess they passed up on the opportunity to set the NFL record. I think 70 points was enough humiliation.

16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not aware of one. I read they knelt on the last drive or it might have been worse.

17. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All right-thinking people should detest Sean “Bounty Hunter” Payton. Man should have had a lifetime ban…

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    James G will now be leading @falvo’s Las Vegas Raiders against the visiting Pittsburgh Steelers on NBC’s Sunday Night Football.

[​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, today’s San Jose Sharks preseason home game against the Vegas Golden Knights is also currently streaming at the Sharks’ website. :)

-G

20. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Someone posted on fb that an announcer referred to him, mistakenly, as "Kenny G". I guess that was a mashup of Kenny Pickett and Jimmy G. :ROFLMAO: Now QB'ing for the Raiders...!!!

[​IMG]

Goodsport repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #15821 falvo, Sep 24, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    I haven't really been a Raider fan since they first moved from Oakland to LA.

don gagliardi repped this.
  22. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a residency in Las Vegas, no doubt. :D

-G

JazzyJ repped this.
  23. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you now no longer follow the NFL? :(

-G

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Posted here..

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's like a college football "body bag" game score.