Other Teams' Results [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by KMJvet, Mar 8, 2014.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #11776 falvo, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
    I remember Dave Kaval stated Beckham, when he was playing refused to play at Buck Shaw. I think he ended up playing 1 playoff game there but that was about it.

In other new, I'm hoping the SF Bay Area (Levi's-Stanford or wherever) wont' be left out of WC 2022....

;
    [​IMG]

World Cup 2026 venue decisions to be announced on June 16

by Paul Kennedy @pkedit,

[​IMG]

LongTimeQuakesFan'74 and mjlee22 repped this.
  2. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Oakland Coliseum still usable? :rolleyes:

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Correction:

I'm hoping the SF Bay Area (Levi's-Stanford or wherever) wont' be left out of WC 2026....

I heard there were too many Rats and Cats there.

DotMPP and mjlee22 repped this.
  4. LongTimeQuakesFan'74

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Nov 12, 2007
    Arlington, TX, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the question is...where will the final of WC2026 be played? There’s a consensus in the DFW Metroplex, that it’ll be at Jerry’s Big pimple in Arlington. The local radio soccer show (The Kick Around) wants it there.

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmm... Levi's Stadium! :inlove:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Honestly, I personally don't think it's that great for soccer. It's maybe better than Stanford but if they do pick Levi's, they still may need to re-do it somewhat.

7. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    My poor Norwich. :(

What a shellacking to end our miserable season. :cry::cry::cry:

8. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sorry buddy :(

Beerking repped this.
  9. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Gotta be honest, I don't want any World Cup matches in the Bay Area. I didn't want another World Cup in the US as FIFA needs to be dissolved and their profits given to relief of all the families of people who died building useless stadiums in Qatar.

TyffaneeSue and mjlee22 repped this.
  10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Congratulations to AC Milan scudetto winners 2021-2022!

11. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Although I don’t really follow Serie A if pushed I would say Milan would be my team for two reasons (i) Paulo Maldini is one of my favourite all time players and (ii) They’re English :)

Beerking repped this.
  12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Maldini actually built this team and they won the Serie A for the first time since 2011. Ibra was on the last team and on this team too. He scored on a head shot today but it was called back. I think it's his final game with the club but not sure if he will retire or not.

[​IMG]

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    Tuesday, May 24, 2022
    Key ingredients combined to create Nashville's soccer palace: Geodis Park
    by Arlo Moore-Bloom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  16. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, if it’s an issue of hierarchy and pay, what does that say about the quality of officiating at the youth level?

17. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I follow NWSL closely and a STH of the Dash. These comments are accurate. I can’t even list all the awful decisions. It makes the reffing at the beginning of MLS look like it was brilliant….

18. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You can thank USSF for this. They are much more interested in siphoning revenues from the grassroots referees than in actually facilitating the development of referees and improvement of the pool.

mjlee22 repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [​IMG]
    Wednesday, May 25, 2022
    Phil Schoen on sportscasting during American soccer's rise, his radio roots, and working with Ray Hudson
    by Arlo Moore-Bloom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beerking repped this.
  20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Interesting piece in the Athletic re player salaries
    https://theathletic.com/3330884/2022/05/24/mls-players-transfers-struggles/

Spending in MLS has jumped significantly in recent years, particularly on acquisition costs. Twenty-seven of the 50 most expensive transfers in league history have been paid since the start of 2020, according to TransferMarkt. A good chunk of those moves have been made for youngsters, with 15 of those aforementioned 27 fees paid for players who were 23 or younger at the time they were signed. The shift toward spending more on younger players will likely only continue moving forward, with the league last year introducing the Young Money/U-22 initiative that allows teams a new, cap-friendly way to splash multi-million dollar transfer fees on youngsters.
    That sounds nice on paper, but the execution has been lacking, especially with younger signings. Of the 25 players with the largest transfer fees aged 23 or younger at the time of their signing, 14 have a below average G+ rating in MLS. The group’s median career G+ score relative to the average player is -0.26. MLS teams have combined to spend $169 million in transfer fees on those 25 players, according to TransferMarkt. That’s an astonishing amount of money for relatively pedestrian overall production.

mjlee22 repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Unsurprising that young players are crapshoot.

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    That's not new. The throwing-the-checkbook-at-them tactic is. Kinda reminds me of the dotcom era when any untested, untried startup could get mega-funding in the hope it would be the next new new thing, and 99% of the time the investors bet wrong.

mjlee22 repped this.
  23. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    These guys can't be all that unknown in quality though. I mean some are 22 - that's practically old by today's soccer standards :). I think the failure is in understanding what kind of player will thrive in MLS. I don't know how, but in general MLS teams are still bad at it after all these years, some worse than others.

We've got Marcos Lopez, who's been pretty good more or less from the get-go for us, but nothing special. Not as special as Jesse sometimes made him out to be. I would not call it a fail, but maybe more of a "base hit" than a home run.

24. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    The article states that the idea behind Young DPs is to develop the players over years. Then it criticizes the signings clubs have made in less than a few years because those players don't have a good "G+" number.

Then it shows a chart that seems to indicate players who have had more years to develop have pretty decent "G+" numbers.

Then it goes on to give examples of how some clubs are expected to do pretty well with their signings.

So I feel like the article is a bit of a mess. They need to track enough players development over a sufficient period of time to come to any conclusions but it seems clear they haven't done that.

They also never explained why "G+" is an appropriate metric. In fact they explain that it has holes and isn't perfect, particulary for 'high usage attackers' (which I assume expensive young DPs would be). "But for this purpose it's solid" the article says. Really? why is it solid? Has anyone done the work to show that it's solid to measure development of young DPs? Maybe it is or isn't but they should at least provide a link to the reason they believe it's solid since they did provide a link to the reason it is not solid.

Quakes05 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I knew Roma would win a trophy as soon as Totti and DeRossi retired.

It was an omen.

This is Italy's first trophy in 12 years!

Bravo José Mourinho!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beerking and Quakes05 repped this.