Other Sports from Portugal

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Frank Cunha, Jul 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Back then they did it with a lot of sacrifice, something this guys can bare to do it. A example with another sport, baseball pitchers use to pitch 11 innings, know they have a guy to pitch the 6, 7 and 8 and the closer.
    Know all this guys if they win two racers they will be on top of the World. I don't have a list of the guys that did twice and miss a third by inch's, but I will try to find out in the future.

2. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I was always 100% soccer and still am, but this sport of cycling is up there.

3. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The Tour usually starters early but to do the WC they had the race in late July.
    Spain use to have it before everybody else in early May, with a lot competition with Giro of Italy.
    They change it in the last 10 years to the month of September.
    Giro around Portuguese day between end of May to the the middle of June.
    Spain La Vuelta the hardest they have to go against Soccer, but still get there publicity.
    Spain in the last 15 years real invest in the Tour of Spain.

4. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Like you I follow all sports, I got all the respect for all of theme. The doping its there and always will be but its like the Catholic church, you got believe.
    The sacrifice, on this guys faces, its tremendous.
    What makes it more of important to the portuguese fans its finally we got somebody we can cheer.
    180 started the race and been in 5th or 10 its quite accomplishment.
    Will open doors for other portuguese cyclists.

5. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I would love to see more Portuguese riders because I know there are some good ones.

Hopefully in La Vuelta a Espana, I will see some more.

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Maia Milaneza will have a strong team again. Sporting about 15 years ago had a team in the Tour of France. One of the riders I believe Paulo Ferreira, was his name won one stage, I think they finish the Tour with four riders.

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Jose Azevedo finish the stage in the peloton, he continues in 5th place.
    Twomorrow is D Day for Jose Azevedo, its the trial stage, the men against the clock for 50km. Some of the best trials cyclist's are behind him, so with very few second separating theme I would be happy to be at least 8th overall at the end of twomorrow stage.
    Sunday usually a picnic, its a feast on the way to Paris, only the green shirt is a stake.

8. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Here is the final results of the Tour De France.

Lance Armstrong finished 1st overall for the 4th straight year.

And Jose Azevedo came in 6th in his 1st ever Tour De France.

O V E R A L L S T A N D I N G S
    Pos. N° Name Nat. Team Time
    1 001 ARMSTRONG Lance USA USP en 82h 05' 12"
    2 021 BELOKI Joseba ESP ONE à 07' 17"
    3 158 RUMSAS Raimondas LTU LAM à 08' 17"
    4 032 BOTERO Santiago COL KEL à 13' 10"
    5 024 GONZALEZ GALDEANO Igor ESP ONE à 13' 54"
    6 022 AZEVEDO José POR ONE à 15' 44"
    7 137 MANCEBO Francisco ESP BAN à 16' 05"
    8 101 LEIPHEIMER Levy USA RAB à 17' 11"
    9 003 HERAS Roberto ESP USP à 17' 12"
    10 057 SASTRE Carlos ESP CST à 19' 05"

Next we have A VOLTA A PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Jose Azevedo is ranked 69th(up 97 positions) among all cyclists as per the International Cyclists Union:Ciclismo - José Azevedo sobe 97 lugares no «ranking» da UCI

O sexto lugar de José Azevedo conquistado domingo no «Tour» valeu ao corredor português uma subida de 97 lugares no «ranking» da UCI.

A boa prestação de José Azevedo, pela ONCE, no «Tour» refletiu-se numa grande subida no «ranking» da União Ciclista Internacional (UCI), que deixou a 166.º posição para integrar o «top» 100, ocupando o 69.º lugar.

Contudo, caso a recente suspensão do lituano Rumsas venha confirmar-se, o ciclista português poderá ascender uma posição na classificação do «Tour», e progredir ainda mais no «ranking» da UCI.

Os cinco primeiros lugares da classificação da UCI não sofreram alterações após a Volta francesa e Erik Zabel continua a liderar a tabela.

Classificação geral:

1.º Erik Zabel, Ale, 2483 pontos
    2.º Paolo Bettini, Ita, 2042
    3.º Lance Armstrong, EUA, 1938
    4.º Erik Dekker, Hol, 1735
    5.º Francesco Casagrande, Ita, 1637
    69.º José Azevedo, Por, 566

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Very proud of Jose Azevedo to finish in 6th place and could get move to 5th place the wife of Rumsas the Lithuania was caught crossing the border with illegal substances. I guess she was with him the all Tour.
    Jose Azevedo wife was in Portugal just flew to Paris yesterday to be with here husband at the end of the race.
    Jose Azevedo did good in the Trial stage Saturday to keep the 6th place.
    He also finish the Giro of Italy in 2001 in 5th place, his name will go down next to Joaquim Agostinho.
    Hope some other teams will invest on some young portuguese cyclists, will be keeping a eye on the Volta of Portugal starting at the end of the week and La Vuelta in September.

11. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Rumsas team has suspened him until the investigation is over.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Don't look good for Rumsas.
    I found out Joaquim Agostinho finish 8 times in the top 10 in the Tour of France. 1978 and 1979 finish in 3rd place.

Joaquim Gomes winner of the two portuguese Tour, and a very good climber and trial cyclist, finish many times in the top 10 in the portuguese Volta a Portugal he commented it was about time we are getting the recognition. It kept Cycling on TV the last couple weeks that going to help the sport.
    Joaquim Gomes in the early 30's is do to retire at the end of the season. He probably will get into coaching. He was a coach and cyclist of the old LA Aluminus.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Vitor Gamito the winner of the Portuguese Tour two years ago still a question mark for this year Tour, is health is in question.
    Vitor Gamito before winning the Portuguese Volta, finish in second place three times.

14. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Jose Azevedo just arrive in the airport in the city of Porto, he was surprise by the amount of people waiting for his arrival. ''I am use to see this type of crowd in other sports'' also waiting was his 10 month daughter Mariana.
    Good to see the people reacted in a positive way.
    I believe he will participate in La Vulta in Spain for the Once Team, he needs time to recuperate, and help some other Once Teamate in Spain.

15. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    He deserves every bit of that grace.
    He was great for the sport of cycling and Portugal!!!

16. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    You going to see the excitment in the Portugal Volta, usually the stage ends around 4 Pm.
    Rtp2 televise two hours, live.
    To bad Vitor Gamito is a question mark he will be a favor, of mine. Orlando Rodrigues ex Banesto a past winner will be a favor of mine. Candido Barbosa will be in the top 20 a ex Banesto in Spain, he will do good in trials, plain, but is no climber.
    I will keep hading names. There is a guy Teixeira he use to race for Boavista Recer he was a good climber.

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Jose Azevedo arrive late at night 11 pm, in Sa Carneiro airport, because he spend a day with his wife in Paris. Some of his ex teamates from the Maia Milaneza team took time to be at the airport to welcome him.
    The only politician was the mayor of the city of Maia, Mario de Almeida.
    His going to see a dentist today, because a rock went thru his mouth in the 5th stage and broke one of his front tooth.
    He will spend a couple days with a family he will starter getting ready for the Spain La Vuelta, going to be televise by the OLN TV.
    Don't expect to much from Jose Azevedo in the Spain La Vuelta, he will be helping his teamates, and will be thinking about next years Tour.
    Like I said before its hard to prepare yourself for the Grand Slam. Cyclist usually concentrate on one of the three.

18. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Basketball European Cup

A bunch of portuguese teams qualify for the European Cup of Basketball to starter in the 1st of October
    Group A
    Oliveirense [Portugal]
    Birmingham Bullets [England]
    Tenerife [Spain]
    Benetton [Switzerland]
    Dexia Hainaut[Belgium]
    Saos JOA [France]

Group B
    Ovarense [Portugal]
    Portugal Telecom [Portugal]
    Estraburgo [France]
    Eupheny Liege [Belgium]
    Montan [Austria]
    Ourense [Spain]

Group C
    CAB Madeira[Portugal]
    FC Porto [Portugal]
    Carire [Italy]
    Towers [Holland]
    Stulht [Belgium]
    SIVC Basket[France]

19. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Tour of Portugal, starters on Friday for great coverage check www.record.pt
    they the best for Cycling news.

20. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Thanks Frank.

21. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    According to the Record Vitor Gamito still a question mark, for the Portuguese Tour. The trial stage starters Friday.

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Maia Milaneza the only portuguese team invited to the Tour of Spain. LA Aluminus Bombarral and Boavista Recer were hoping for a invitation.

23. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    What a shame.

24. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Check the thread Portugal vs England
    you probably saw it today, in the 24 horas newpaper, changes for the national team.

Twomorrow starters the Portuguese Tour with 47 portuguese cyclists the rest are from all over Europe.

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    BigMat Auber 93 from France will be the first team to leave, for the 11.7km
    teams will be separated every 5 minutes
    Polish CCC-Polsat will be the last
    two of the favorite teams will go one after the other first Maia Milaneza of Portugal, then Germany Coast