OT:ya vodochki xlopnul...The Vodka Thread

Discussion in 'Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, & the former Soviet Repu' started by Zenit, Jun 10, 2005.

1. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: OT: Vodka appreciation thread

Ohh, how could I forget?? Absolutely.

Salted cucumbers & cherry tomatoes, as well.

3. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD
  4. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Typical of Ukies. They treat what essentially is lard like it's some kind of a holy grail.
    Actually, homemade salo will often have traces of bacon in it, since it is nearly impossible to cut it into perfectly white slabs in the conditions of your own kitchen.

5. Metalist

Metalist Member

May 3, 2005
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv

oh Shurik i beg to differ... there is a time and place to consume vodka BMEPy

if one needs to still be able to talk yourself out of a traffic ticket but did not drink enought so as-to burp onto the cop and make him passout from an alcoholic poisoning of inhaling one's burp...

...or lets say to be a nice social lubricant to a nice white party... in which case you only need alcahol to jolly up the mood a bit and be merely a compliment, and not the star of the gathering....

...and only after such a party if you need to pass out - do you drink vodka in the context described by you

6. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

OMG, Repped repped and repped.

7. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Pehaps, though since the number of Russians that have actually attempted the above maneuver equals roughly zero, we can safely assume that vodka was originally designed for different purposes. Thus the complete irrelevance of taste ans "quality".

8. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

I still belive Stolichnaya is the top. Too bad they stopped making Stoli Caffe. In my opinion the best flavored Stoli on the market ever.

9. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Do you realize, people, that if Russia were a big playground people like you would be punched in the mouth repeatedly?
    You've been in America entirely too long.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Zenit --> Since you're in Minnesota these days, have you tried Shakers?

11. VLADYD

VLADYD Member

Mar 25, 2000
    WASHINGTON, DC

For once Shurka, you are telling the truth. However, will be visiting Leningrad and Sverdlovsk this August. Wait, cant find those on the map :eek:

12. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There's one Russian store in town that is really bad about this. But the one nearest me (about 5 miles away) generally is pretty good about keeping the stock relatively fresh. But, you are right, one does have to keep a careful eye out.

BTW, they're pretty easy to make yourself.

1/ c. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1/3 c. red wine vinegar
    1 tsp. whole mixed pickling spices
    Bay leaf
    2 (4 1/2 oz.) jars whole mushrooms, drained
    1 sm. onion, thinly sliced, separated into rings

Bring sugar, vinegar, salt, spices and bay leaf to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat, add mushrooms and onion. Turn into a jar; cover tightly and chill overnight. Drain before serving.

13. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup, numerous times...the pride of Benton, Minnesota, and judging by the prices they charge quite the hot little item. I've tried both the original & the rye version, not the rose variant (what the ???). Both very good, but I canb get a bottle of Finlandia or Tito's for about $10 less/liter, so I don't buy it too often.

14. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York

As always, this thread disintegrated very quickly. To bring it all back to square 1, without further adu... here's my top 5 list:

1. Grey Goose - yes, overpriced due to brand strength, but w/o a question the premier vodka available.
    2. Russkiy Standart - very high quality stuff and certainly unique.
    3. Christiania - maybe not as well known, but, boy, when you drink it, you'll feel the difference. Best thing to come of Norway since... well, you gotta start somewhere, right?
    4. Balinoff - whatever it loses in quality from Grey Goose, it makes up for it in price.
    5. Finlandia - undoubtedly, the best of the budget / 2nd tier brands. No headache next day either.

Honorary mention - Zyr - not in the same league, but good stuff.

Things I would not drink unless I had to: Ketel One (how it ranks up there w/ Grey Goose in the world vodka pecking order is beyond me), Belvedere (just totally "blah" vodka), Stolichnaya (I can see why other people like it, but just doesn't do it for me).

Things I would not drink even if I had to: Absolut (absoultely no, but good ads though, kinda like Budweiser), Smirnoff (might as well drink ethanol), Gordon (it worked when I was 15 and it was $10 per bottle, but not anymore), Stalingrad (had that once, don't want to ever have it again), etc, etc.

15. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

And, if you turn your heads upwards, you will see a pompous attempt by a complete virgin to appear knowledgeable on the subject, where the wealth of centruries-accumulated expertise boils down to: "Exhale loudly afterwards".

"Wouldn't drink if I had to"... THAT will make you popular in a typical Russian company! Blargh.

16. loden

loden Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Forest Hills, NY
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv

[​IMG]

17. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Sean, I thought you knew better than to take it outside. Ts-ts-ts...

18. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York

a) Speaking of pompous - the mirror can't be far away from you, can it?

b) I have a strong feeling I've been in Russian company a lot mroe than you have, and have fared quite well. Granted, I don't work around the clock putting pictures of Soviet kits on the net, but hey, maybe some day... if I work really hard... maybe I will be allowed that honor. (Now, to be perfectly honest, I enjoyed reading those, just would never consider taking the time to actually put that together).

19. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Keep at it and maybe in a few short years you will graduate to Yo Mama. Of course, there cannot be any guarantees, you know. But there will always be your boss with that paycheck to soothe the pain, I am sure.

Yes, I know, the Big Brooklyn Programming, Real Estate Or Financing Firm Or Something, Inc., where two of the faceless drones staring at their monitors included Misha Katsnelbogen and Zhenya Axelrod.
    The highlight of your well-faring was no doubt the time you first affixed that flippy cell phone to the belt of your khaki shorts at the company picnic. Just before The Boss came around with the condescending vodka query, to which you replied at great lengths without the slightest regard for the glazed look that suddenly sprung on his face. Many a soothing dream have ensued.

20. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York

5 out of 5 for effort. 0 out of 5 for correctness. You get 2 more tries.

21. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Shurik i Gosya, would the 2 of you stop this sh|t. You keep hijacking all the threads now.

As for vodka, to me personally,they all taste the same. I drink it fairly often, but don't consider myself an expert. What me and my friends can afford is either Smirnovka, Stoli, or Absolut. However, for a present to someone, we occasionally get Grey Goose, Belvedere, or Chopin. Overall, same goddamn drink.

22. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

Sorry, I would truly be happy to if not for the total lack of interest whatsoever.

23. gosya

gosya Member

Feb 6, 2001
    New York

Apologies. In my defence, though, my first post on this thread was directly referring to the topic. We'll take our discussion to a separate thread.

24. Shurik

Shurik New Member

Nov 2, 1999
    Baltimore, MD

If you can go through 200 grams without trying to punch a hole in the floor with your head, you know all there is to know. If you can also keep up a semi-intelligeble conversation, you are an expert.
    Everything else is pure pretention.

25. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

Well, in that case, i guees i'm an expert. Hooray!