OT: Fury stuff

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by Sundevil9, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a kid that grew up in South Jersey, my first soccer match attended was the Fury.

In this time of retro, I was looking for some Philadelphia Fury shirts and stuff. I thought Toffs sold stuff, but they don't have anything. Does anyone have a link or 7 that'll help?

Thanks

2. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Toffs used to have a Fury jersey which, frankly, looked nothing like the Fury's jersey. You're not missing anything.

www.classicsportslogos.com has a Fury practice t-shirt, as well as some other Fury t-shirts.

[shameless plug] No one who has ever tried to duplicate a Fury jersey has ever got it right. One reason why is that the Fury had actual designer uniforms. Go to www.philadelphiaatoms.com and click on the link about the Fury to read all about it. [/shameless plug]

3. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Steve, don't worry about your shameless plug, I've been to your site several times.

4. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    man I would give my left nut for a shirt with the Fury logo on it. They were the first soccer team I ever saw play live. good stuff

NASL didnt last too long did it?

5. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on your definition of long...it was around from 1967 to 1984. 18 seasons.

It was only in Philadelphia in 1967, 1973-76, and 1978-80, though.

6. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    really, I didnt know that.

79 and 80 are the only seasons I remember

7. PhillyFury

PhillyFury Member

Slavia Prague
    United States
    Jan 1, 2004
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've actually got at home an Admiral, burgundy and yellow, polyster-itching Fury jersey, sitting in my parents' attic with a long-sleeve royal-purple Fever shirt.

8. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fever ruled. And Kixx isn't much of a nickname.

I wear my www.classicsportslogos.com Fever t-shirt and people always ask me about it.

Tony
    (the only member of the Wilkes-Barre PA Joe Fink/Fever fan club, but this was 1978?)

9. soccerphan

soccerphan New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Philadelphia, USA
    dude, that website rocks!!!

just ordered a Fury T-shirt

thanks for the link

10. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only for one year (1978-79). That was the year they were basically a United Soccer League (Philadelphia men's league) all-star team, with Fink and Fred Grgurev as the only "ringers." A joy to watch; they made it to the finals that year. Woody Hartman, Ed Sheridan, Alberto Alves...

Alas, many of the local players were jettisoned to make room for Serbs from the Fury in 79-80. The fans never forgave the team and the fans stayed away in droves.

FWIW, the Fever did have one of the better logos at the time.