OT: Anybody heard from Sormun lately?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Cweedchop, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    :D

Just curious as to why our most popular and most Negative Nellie has been not seen pretty much all season?

I know a lot of the Barra/Screaming Eagles have seen him out and about on occasion, but seriously, where is he?

I'd be real interested in hearing how lucky United was this year..

2. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably busy on some Reading FC board complaining about Convey. :rolleyes:

3. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He was at the NE playoff game just gushing about United and their chances. He said pregame, "If they win tonight, they'll win the Cup" This came of course after 15 minutes of Convey bashing. :D

Although he did say that Gomez was what the team needed all along to allow Jaime to be himself. Then he told me he was going back to Romania for the next 4 or 5 years. Hope he comes back on BigSoccer....

4. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have enjoyed his posts better if he'd made more use of his enter key. Big long paragraphs kill my eyes.

5. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Me too. He always got so much crap on this board, and most of it was undeserved. I for one learned to enjoy his contrary views and hope he returns one day.

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Don't know what you got til it's gone
    Don't know what it is I did so wrong
    Now I know what I got
    It's just this song

7. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Anytime anyone references a Cinderella song on Big Soccer, it just warms my 80's crappy metal heart. :)

Seriously though, I wish Sormun would jump on every now and then just to tell me how wrong I am.. :D

8. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    See, in the end Sormun turned out to be legit. He always was calling for the missing flair in the team. In the end, we found ourselves with a team that had grit and flair. Glad to hear that Sormun caught it before he headed back to Romania. He truly was one of the people trying to inject reality (albeit negative reality) on to these boards when we, myself included, were grasping at straws.

9. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    You are very wrong...always... :p

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Yes and no...

Yes, this team did lack a bit of flair in recent seasons, but to suggest that was the missing ingredient is an injustice to the players on this team that worked their collective asses off all season long..

Need I remind you that some of sormun's "reality" included jettising United's strickers for the Richmond Kickers strickers?

Look, we all were right on some things, we all were wrong on a lot of things.. My main beef with sormun was that his versions of reality were often flights of fancy rather than actual solutions to problems this team had.. We were all looking for solutions that made sense and that were applicable to this team and I felt at times that he went over the top on a few different occasions..

With that being said though, you are absolutely correct in stating that he was harsh on this team because they deserved to be criticized on most occasions..

I just wished he would have had a healthier outlook for the team rather than constant criticism.. And this comes from a fan who has been very critical of this team on the air and in print as well..

Come on back Sormun, we miss you!!

11. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    Point taken.

We were ALL grasping at straws to some extent.

12. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    He's a stand up guy who I've met at a couple of offseason get togethers.

I feel badly because, as stated above, a lot of the crap he got was very undeserved. What angered me the most was that some people with conflicting views would make fun of any grammatical mistakes, being negligent of the fact that he had just moved here and was learning English.

In some ways, I'm glad he hasn't been around the boards that much becuase that was just appalling. It made me sick that because he liked to slam Convey in broken English that some would trash him over his view.

Not trying to say anyone in this thread did it, but hopefully if he does come back to the boards he is treated with a little more respect.

13. GrillMaster

GrillMaster Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on, Todd!

I wonder whether some of the Sormun bashers have a fraction of his cajones when it comes to personal interaction? I suspect most of them would be shrinking violets when given the opportunity to discuss contrary opinions with the coaching staff. Not Sormun, however! ;) Even at Ray's buy the fans a beer night he was asking his pointed questions of Ray.

It was good to see you the other day, man. Hope you make it back for a game or two soon, and maybe we'll catch you online.

GM

14. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    This is funny. I was thinking of starting a Convey Curse or Coincidence thread just to lure him back in.

You know:

DCU championships with Convey = 0

DCU championships without Convey = 4

Once he was unloaded, DCU reclaimed their former glory. Coincidence?

15. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I think I was one of the last to interact w/him here.

His last words were "I see what the coach is doing and by the end of the year the team will be good." I wasn't convinced. Turns out he was right, cause we improved. Plus we got lucky. But given how anti-Convey he was, I'd guess he'd attribute a lot of the resurgence to Convey being out, like eldiablito said.

I have no idea if he's around or not-but of course you can't blame him for not being around given the level of viciousness directed at him by a few.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think so. It wasn't a curse or anything, but Convey, for all his talent, didn't make DCU a better team.

Now, early in his career, he wasn't responsible for the downfall. That was the team getting older, a little complacent and some poor choices by management.

But, once they decided to build around Convey, that was a mistake because Convey is a supporting part. A good supporting part, no doubt, but not the kind of player that carries a team the way Donovan does or the way Jaime and Marco did. As much as we may have wanted it to happen, it just wasn't going to because that's not the type of player Convey is.

I think one of the smartest things Peter did was refusing to play Bobby centrally and mainly use him on the flank so that when he did leave, he was easily replaced by another flank player rather than disrupting the center of the midfield, which is the most important ingredient to the team's success.

For the record, I think that once he adjusts, Convey will do just fine in England - on the flank - and be a good player over there. But, he's never gonna be the star that, say, Beasley or Donovan or Eddie Johnson have a chance to be.

17. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Without Convey:
    1996: Win Championship
    1997: Win Championship
    1998: Lose in Championship Game
    1999: Win Championship
    2004: Win Championship

With Convey:
    2000: Miss playoffs
    2001: Miss playoffs
    2002: Miss playoffs
    2003: Make playoffs, out in 1st round

Maybe it's a good thing sormun ain't around for this :eek:

18. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    [​IMG]

19. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
  20. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Seeing as how Convey was with us for the first half of the season, I would not say we won without him. He was still an important factor for our success, We had a respectable 3-3-4 record in games he played in and a 2-3-2 record without him. I say we broke even with him on the field, and he played his part in our successful campaign.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Very apt.

22. mikedett

mikedett New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Springfield, Va. USA
    Club:
    DC United
    for those of us who dont follow assball...who is that? and why should i care?

23. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Former Yankees first baseman Don Mattingly. Top notch hitter and a quality player, but ring-less.

I think he was the hitting coach for this year's Yankee squad.

I had a long conversation with Sormun at one of the Happy Hours at Summer's. Great person to talk to about United, and the game itself. I'm glad I got that opportunity.

24. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Yep. Also, the Yankees were in four World Series between 1976 and 1981, winning two of them. Mattingly joined the team in 1982 and had a very distinguished career (a possible Hall Of Famer) until his retirement in 1995, but never got to play in the World Series. The next year, the Yankees won the World Series, as well as three of the next four, thus making Mattingly probably the greatest Yankee to have never won the World Series.

Right now, Convey is the best United player to have never won MLS Cup. May he continue to have that title.

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I think there's a certain Bulgarian who might take umbrage with that comment. And I don't mean that hairy-chested defender Ray brought in last year!

And what about Abdul Thompson Conteh?.... Mike Amman?.... Juan Berth Suarez?