O'Sullivan steps down from USA post

Discussion in 'Rugby & Aussie Rules' started by yankee_rob, Nov 17, 2011.

1. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.espnscrum.com/other/rugby/story/154385.html

O'Sullivan steps down from USA post

Former Ireland coach Eddie O'Sullivan has announced he is to leave his role as head coach of the USA Eagles and will instead pursue options closer to home.

The USA acquitted themselves well in the 2011 World Cup overcoming Russia 13-6 and giving Ireland and Italy a scare before eventually coming undone on both occasions. And O'Sullivan, who joined the USA in 2009 after seven years in charge of Ireland, believes now is the right time to step down from his post.

"I have thoroughly enjoyed my two-and-a-half years as head coach to the USA Eagles, it has been a rewarding journey working with all the players and staff," O'Sullivan said. "I was delighted with our progress and overall performances in the Rugby World Cup but feel that it is now time for me to consider other options closer to home.

"The win over Russia and the performance against Ireland on 9/11 was particularly special. I would like to wish USA Rugby every success in the future."

O'Sullivan's manager John Baker claims the 52-year-old has received some "interesting enquiries" as he ponders the next move in his coaching career

2. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I wish him well. He (and Nigel) have definately brought a degree of professionalism to the National team.

3. RuggerUA

RuggerUA New Member

Aug 6, 2011
    I'm sorry but your statement is ridiculous.
    Are you saying that the National team under Billups or Clark was not as professional as under Eddie? This is nonsense.
    Eddie and Nigel only collected professional-level salaries to run an amateur organization that remains amateur and in no better position than when they started.

4. yankee_rob

yankee_rob Member

Aug 1, 2006
    London, England
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any predictions on who will be the new coach?

5. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    disagree entirely. While I have no fault with Billups or Clark, they are fine men who did an admirble job. No question.

What I can say is that rugby can be very hierarchical game. What Nigel and Eddie have brought to the party is the ability to pick up the phone or send an email and get something DONE. They have a name and that (right or wrong) adds something. They have both done fine jobs. When Nigel took over in 2007 or 2008ish the game was dying here. DYING. He got some games back on ESPN, he helped get RWC games on NBC. This is no small measure.

Eddie also instilled a sense of professionalism by the way he ran the camps. That Churchill Cup game in Ottawa when we played England Saxons. I drove up for that game. There were USA players walking....yes WALKING into rucks in the 50th minute as they were exhausted. I'm not knocking any of the players but the level of a top flight athelete was not in attendance that day. Eddie has changed that in my opinion.

Again, no disrespect to Billups or Clark or whoever takes over next. It will be interesting to see if US Rugby goes with another foreign carpetbagger or someone like a Dan Lyle gets a shot.

6. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie O'Sullivan as a name has added nothing to the sport here. His contribution to the growth of the sport here if anything has been far less than the CRC in comparison (not a USA Rugby-organized competition by the way).

I put that more down to the Olympics announcement than anything and Universal got XVs as an add-on of "let's give this a shot". But good on having the games on TV.

this same team lost to the Saxons 87-8 last summer, it was an absolute disgrace of a game and a slap in the face to the organization that in the end funded the whole tournament; the reason for that result was to save them for Tonga, a game we wound up losing horribly anyway

I wouldn't say O'Sullivan did a good job or a bad job, he did an okay job. Look at the Canadians, with less resources, less name, less salary, and the same level players, Kieran Crowley at Canada blows Eddie O'Sullivan at USA's achievements out of the water (a few naysayers living on Vancouver Island aside). O'Sullivan's faults coaching the Eagles can be seen ironically in one of our victories, beating Russia 13-6. Anyone that watched that game: there's absolutely no reason Russia with 2 minutes left should've been in our half with a chance to tie. Numerically looking at results, O'Sullivan was better than Thorburn, better than Johnson, a little worse than Billups.

But if we're going to get a guy that does an okay job, hire American because we can pay him far less to get the same results and too much money is spent on the national team as it is to the point the colleges and high schools may secede altogether and take their CIPP money with them.

7. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tolkin maybe. He was the defense coach for the Eagles at the World Cup which was the part of our game that got high praise.