Orlando florida- soccer graveyard

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by gyr0, Jan 12, 2008.

1. gyr0

gyr0 New Member

Mar 31, 2002
    NYC
    If the tampa was the market that got away from soccer, Orlando must been as the one that never was. Despite playing host to numerous international matches, minor league pro sides since the 94 world cup-- local media has failed to follow the plot.

But with a dirth of coverage elsewhere in the market, soccer maintains one sole advocate: Orlando Sentinel writer Brant Parsons.

As the Sentinel's resident "soccer guy", Parsons regularly endures the ridicule of his fellow sports writers. But as the author of the Other Football, an Orlando based blog with over 1.2 million annual visitors, Parsons represents a leading voice of the local game. Read on to learn his thoughts on subjects ranging from Miami's bid for MLS and why Orlando will never play host to top flight soccer to media's flagging bias against soccer.

2. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Nice find...:)

3. Leedarby610

Leedarby610 New Member

May 13, 2005
    South Florida
    I'd have to disagree that it's a soccer graveyard. I believe Miami is the graveyard as MLS will find out. The Marlins moved north in order to capture a more affluent fan base that could support Major League baseball. MLS will find out that's what they will need to do after the fan support dwindles in downtown Miami. The folks that have the money down here are in Broward and Palm Beach counties.

4. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Marlins are moving south. And they didn't move north. They play in the same place they always have, in Dolphin Stadium. And they started playing there because at the time Hiuzenga owned both teams. And ever since they have been trying to move south in Miami, where they believe there are more baseball fans. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen.

The same goes for MLS they ended up in Ft. Lauderdale in the past because they couldn't nail down a place to play in Miami. Not because Broward is more affluent. And they also believe they will do better in Miami where they believe there are more soccer fans, and that also remains to be seen.

5. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    yes, but the folks with the money aren't going to go to soccer games besides a few soccer moms and kids. the mls must target downton inner city locations to capture the target audience for soccer

6. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason, I wrote an e-mail to MLS Feedback today.

I asked them to bring the MLS Cup to Orlando in the future.

7. Leedarby610

Leedarby610 New Member

May 13, 2005
    South Florida
    Sounds good in theory, but it won't work. Money drives all sports and in Miami it's in short supply. Broward is still the best answer to capture all 3 counties. If I had my choice it would be in Palm Beach county but logic would have it in Broward. I can't recall the survey that was done but it did determine that the majority of Marlins season ticket holders came from Broward and Palm Beach. Whether that's still true, I'm not sure, I don't work at the same company I used to, we had access to that sort of marketing data.

8. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No matter how badly you want MLS in Broward or Palm Beach it's just not gonna happen. I mean I would like it too, seeing that I live in Broward. The whole time the Fusion played at Lockhart people said it would fail because it they did not play in Miami, so now (hopefully) they will have their chance. If you're a big soccer fan you'll drive to Miami. You should be driving there to see Miami FC, they are who we have now and deserve your support.

9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree with the above statement...actually Miami is the soccer graveyard just look at the Miami FC attendance last year

10. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much hatred it's amazing. Every time you post it's anti Miami. Concentrate on getting your Tampa team and not on hating.

11. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not hatred it's the fact...how can someone honestly support a team and drive 4 hours to games when the Miami locals don't care about their team...

Tampa was and is a soccer city, and we will prove it yet again with the olympic qualifiers in Tampa

12. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    while i would rather have a tampa team, im gonna be thankful for a miami team if they get one in the next few years. it will be more mls then we have now

13. Leedarby610

Leedarby610 New Member

May 13, 2005
    South Florida
    I went last year and it was a big disappointment, bad area, poor stadium, poor concessions. I might go back if there was a soccer specific stadium built but even then it's questionable.

14. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right it's not the best, but it is live soccer. And we need to support what we do have. It's better than nothing. Give it another shot, Zinho is the coach this year and it should be exciting.

15. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States