Orlando City S.C. - What do we call the supporters?

Discussion in 'Supporters Group' started by AdamSoucie, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I've been away for a couple of days. Let me first address the name "Hooligans". No offense to our good friend in the Midlands, but the security situation at sporting events in America is completely different than in Europe. True, we have a lot of gun violence in the States (it's like the Old West but with cars and cell phones now). But we have never had any problems at stadiums or arenas. It is a tradition here that anyone in a minority can say what ever they want and not expect a physical beating from the majority. You can wear a Miami Heat jersey at the Amway Center. You may get a little trash talk directed towards you but you will not be injured in any way. The F.C. Tampa Bay supporters can call themselves a "Mob" and no one at the Police or Sheriff's Office gets too excited. Bottom line is, I wouldn't worry about a tough-sounding name or look. Let's be honest. This game (at least in the United States) needs a little "attitude" associated with it.

Welcome to all the newcomers. Every new name that pops up on the BigSoccer / Orlando threads makes us think there is something awesome about to happen here.

Let me repeat our position. We now feel there are too many creative people in the Orlando area to just force them all to join one group under one name / banner and meeting spot. There's some great names and logos being proposed and there's nothing wrong with several groups marching into the Citrus Bowl, proudly displaying their individual ideas. We will call for a "congress" of groups shortly so that we can present a united coalition on opening day.

The Orlando Odyssey group is waiting on a commissioned artist to finish our logo. We plan to unveil it within the next couple of days. And it will have "attitude".

2. deadland

deadland New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I couldn't agree more. I think a lot of the reason most people just don't bother much is because there really is a lack of "attitude" in the states. It's almost passive in its attempts to expand a wider audience.

3. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Good post and it sounds like you've got your finger on the pulse.

I also get what you are saying, the crowd dynamic for all sporting events I've been to in the US has been entirely different to what we see in England, although I was unaware the term hooligan is interpreted differently there so apologies for misreading the situation.

Good luck with it anyway, Lee.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is generally the case. And any exceptions generally tend to be individual in nature. We don't have whole groups who are violent toward opposing fans, certainly not at the events themselves. But it remains that this is part of the reputation of soccer in America, because of the high-profile holligan riots that have occured, particularly in the 1980s.

5. CheeseAndOatcakes

CheeseAndOatcakes New Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Reminds me of this american documentary.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNPXF8YRgIU&feature=related"]YouTube - Italians Fans VS English hooligans[/ame]

What the narrator forgets to tell you is they rioted because the security knowningly let in their fans with house bricks and other missiles and before it even kicked off they were pelting the English fans which obviously caused great anger from the English contingent.

6. dstefano36

dstefano36 New Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    great post Papadop. The inter-Supporter's Club challenge will be to see which has the most fun, that's the group I want to hang with!

7. Leondecollao

Leondecollao Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Loving the I-4 Brigade or Rangers idea. Very clever and great job on the logo Rays!

8. ClayMontgomery

ClayMontgomery New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh just call yourself "The OC" like the teenage drama tv show, maybe you can attract some support with that.... It's nice and safe and likely a honest representation of your "group."

Of course the (road) Rangers are the crew that assist the broken down and stranded and that may be good for when the owner moves the team (again) and your left without a team.... Good luck...

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to toot my own horn too much, but I-4 Rangers was actually my wife's idea. Can you please credit Mrs. SoccerPrime here and on the OSSC's facebook page? Thanks. :D

10. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lulz

seriously though, anything but I-4 rangers or whatever other name you come up with that includes I-4. You are seriously contemplating naming your SG after a highway? C'mon you guys.

11. deadland

deadland New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah. I think everyone can come up with something a little more creative and unique.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at our rich Orlando soccer past we found... Nothing really. There is no Rowdies or Rowdie Ralph to draw on here. Only thing (maybe) is something to do with the Sundogs or WC 94.

13. deadland

deadland New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Maybe it doesn’t have to be directly derived from Orlando? Maybe something that has to do with new beginnings or the team or the fans or something along those lines. Or if everyone is wanting something to do with Orlando there could be names drawn from tourism or how a lot of the people living here aren’t really from here; nomads, I think someone previously said something about travelers? Or Marauders? Oooorrr something else?

14. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I-4 is a big deal in Orlando.

NO SUNDOGS.

I have a gut feeling it will end up being whatever Papadop is working on over anything else.

15. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC

I thought the samething about how the Rangers help broken down cars.
    I would vote no the I-4 Rangers

16. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I went to college in Deland and traveled through Orlando on the way to visit relatives in Tampa often enough to know full well what I-4 means to Orlando.

worst.traffic.in.Florida.

17. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mrs. Soccer Prime, Thanks so much for weighing in. We like the "Rangers" concept, I-4 or otherwise, but one problem with large groups is lots of good ideas and not a lot of agreement.

I guess the "Rowdies" name is available??? We wouldn't want to make the people at "Ralph's Mom" mad. Just a friendly joke. You guys sure like to dish it out - but can you take it? We can, and its all good. We love the friendly competition and it motivates us even more.

We don't have a final decision on a name for our group. We don't want to rush something as important as our name. Good call, Speedcake. You seem to want to help us out. Tell us the story of how you came up with your great name.

I'm serious.

18. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched that name evolve here on BS. Army, Outlaws and Sons of was taken, and the Rowdies connection had to be maintained, hence "Ralph" (the old mascot) gets mixed with "Mob".

...and they lived happily ever after.

19. dstefano36

dstefano36 New Member

May 17, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Prime - I wouldn"t be too quick to lament Orlando's (lack) of soccer history before digging a little deeper. The Lions regularly played against and sometimes beat or tied some of the top clubs in Europe and for several years were an magnet for international teams looking for games in the US. There was a regular international smorgasbord of games here such as the Orlando vs The World series circa 86-87. We are home of 2 FIFA World Cup winning teams and 2 Olympic medal winning teams (US Women). Mia Hamm became the all-time leading goalscorer in the world (vs. Brazil) in Orlando; we hosted the World Cup in 94 when everyone said it was impossible; the Lions won 2 regular season USL championships in the early 90's; we hosted the MLS All-Star Game, and we have been the host of numerous youth and professional national championship tournaments Orlando's soccer history may have somewhat flown under the radar because the NASL was dead and buried by the time the Lions arrived on the scene but Orlando's history is still substantial and something we should be proud of

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to learn (sic) these people about Orlando's soccer history.

21. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I have nothing but respect for what the Lions, Lionhearts& Kraze have done. Heck my personal Orlando soccer moment was when the Kraze in 2004.

But none of that comes close to the Rowdies, with big stars pulling in 30,000 a game in the 70s.

22. Papadop

Papadop Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Metro Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would like to take this space to announce we will be unveiling our new supporters group logo tomorrow, 11-11 at 11:00 pm (EST) . Now, I tried to explain to Z that the delegates at the World War I armistice talks were lambasted by historians for trying to be so clever. They decided to end the war on the 11th day of the 11th month on the 11th hour. Of course, hundreds of lives would have been saved if they'd just called it quits then and there (two days earlier). Z argued there are no lives at stake here and why not have a little mystery and intrigue.

We hope you'll all like it. Just a warning, it's not like your average stripes and hoops in a crest with stars and soccer ball stuff. It's all about the 'tude. Afterall, Orlando fans aren't average.

We just want to clarify, this will be the logo of the old Orlando Odyssey group. It is not intended to replace the Reeve's Army logo, I-4 Rangers emblem or any other logo/emblem that other groups have been working so hard on.

See ya tomorrow on this thread.

23. deadland

deadland New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Florida
    Club:
    Eintracht Frankfurt
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Looking forward to it. :D

24. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am going to push forward with Reeves' Army for the central group. Do I have any objections?

25. Orlando FC

Orlando FC Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, glad to see Adam has everyone doing some serious thinking...

Just wanted to throw my two cents at this bad boy:

Orlando Alliance - As Adam is aware, The Outlaws of Orlando want to be included in establishing a tradition of enthusiasm and passion for soccer. It's primarily a symbolic gesture, as Adam's supporters group probably has a much higher membership that the lowly AO Orlando chapter. But still, a name like "The Orlando Alliance," with or without "The" in there, would be a nod to Orlando's very diverse population, and the two organizations coming together to support our common cause; Orlando Soccer.

OCSC Supporters Club - Self explanatory. No need to beat around the bush, no confusion over who we support.

Something Ultras - "Ultra" has been done to death, but it's still classified as the pinnacle of soccer support. It's an obvious choice, but the name still packs a punch.

Central Florida United - anyone who went to grade school in or around Orlando, and played footy as a youth, probably played for the old CFU back in the day. This would be a nod to that club, which since changed it's name, and would help our brothers and sisters who live in the neighboring counties, who often support Orlando sports, feel included. Don't overlook the simplicity of this one; it looks really good on crests and logos.

Something Lion Related - If we want historical context, why not give a nod to Orlando's first pro soccer club? Lions are dope, do not debate me on this.

That's all for now, feedback would be appreciated.

Also, anyone interested in playing some 11v11 for a club team (The Outlaws in the CFSL), I'm going to be holding tryouts in December (I'm calling them "tryouts" but if you're dedicated you'll make the cut) and I try to host a least a few pickup games during the offseason. Get ahold of me via email (I neglect my BigSoccer account, admittedly)...

johnApaz at gmail