Originality in the Stands

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Medeiros

Medeiros Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Pawtucket, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont wanna be moving this thread "in circles" but hear I go. I firmly beleive that MLS and the REVs need supporters groups. This whole family first ideal hasnt exactly been bringing in amazing attendace figures over the past ten years now has it. When I look back at the best games Ive seen MLS or not, the atmosphere is key. And if all you people are complaining bout the fort its a good thing you people dont understand spanish (for those who dont) and heard what the hundurans and costa ricans were sayin. The simple fact that people can complain about a you suck chant makes me realize why most "Euro-snobs" get fed up with this new soccer nation...Im not saying we showed throw flares at the opposing keeper, but a supporters group in their own section should be able to do as they please without physically hurting anyone. Listen I love the REVs and if you are reading this thread its obvious you feel the same way so this argument isnt a matter of who has more passion/dedication to the REVs. One more thing, when I pay my 16$ and walk into the stadium im going to do as I please as long as it is reasonable.

2. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA
    Ok, two white suburban 16 year olds, they wear baggy pants, listen to rap music, whatever the "urban, hip-hop" style is these days. They walk up to each other hold out there hands for a slap and say "Wut up, N****R". Happens every day.

Racist? Absolutely.

Well, "You suck" is homophobic in just the same way. Frankly, I don't care, it doesn't offend me one way or the other. But the reason some people find it offensive is not because "suck" is a bad word, but because the phrase originates as a way to denigrate homosexuals.

I understand it's not meant in that sense, but the phrase is what it is. Those white suburban teenage 50-cent fans don't mean to be racist either, but the language they use is just that.

It's alright though, racism was much more cool 40 years ago, maybe 40 years from now homophobia will be just as uncool as racism is now.

Chanting/singing in the Fort: If that's the way you support the team, more power to you, keep it going.

Here's why I choose not to participate: To me, a song/chant/etc. isn't crowd buzz, it isn't a natural cheer, what is it? I don't know, it just sounds manufactured to me.

I was at Camden Yards last weekend (yes, I'm a baseball fan too), there were Red Sox fans all over the place, and sure there were quite a few "Let's Go Red Sox!" chants, what did they add to the atmosphere? Nothing really. Now what happens when there's a crucial moment in the game? Chants stop, buzz heightens, crowd noise grows to a crescendo. That's what crowd noise/participation is supposed to be (to me).

To those in the Fort, you do it different from me, that's ok, keep it up. But if you disappeared tomorrow and there were no more songs/chants, I wouldn't notice, so long as there was some crowd noise to take your place (I realize at this point, there probably wouldn't be).

Maybe it's the American in me, but like I said before, songs just sound manufactured to me, I would far prefer to hear the indescribable "buzz" that a knowledgeble fan base seem to bring to most American sports.

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See this is my problem with this. Your "knowledgable fan base" is defined by the noise that is manufactured. Our chants come from the heart, they come from the pride in our team.

We don't need to be told by the DiamondVision that hey folks, right now you need to make noise. We don't need to be told to chant "Defense, Defense" when the PA announcer or the music guy starts playing the beat. We don't need to be told "It's Third Down Pats Fans, time to make some noise!" We don't need to have every player being introduced three or four times a game to his own music. We don't need to have the "charge" music played for us.

That's the knowledgable fan base? The ones that are pretty much led into making noise during the dull moments of different sports?

And you say our singing is manufactured but all the crap I listed above is a sign of a knowledgable fan base? :confused:

4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fella, don't spin a kindergarten schoolyard taunt as homophobic. It's tacky and stupid.

5. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA

I don't know if you've ever been to a Sox game (whether at Fenway, or on the road with a sizeable Sox contingent), fans don't need to be told that there's two strikes time to stand up, or important at bat time to make some noise. Now maybe the Red Sox are a bad example (around for 100+ years, ingrained into Boston culture the way they are), but these are knowledgeable, passionate, and lively fans who don't need prompting to get going.

Maybe, I just don't have a ton of experience with sports, Red Sox, Maine hockey, and Patriots is really all I've seen apart from the Revs and US Soccer, but all of those teams have passionate bases of fans that can create a hell of an atmosphere without Diamondvision crap (although it's usually still there).

I'm just saying that TO ME, songs sound just as silly and manufactured as "clap-clap-clap", "charge!", etc.

If I'm in the minority that's fine, even though I find it silly, I'm glad you guys do it, not because I think it adds to my experience, but because you guys are out there supporting your team in your way.

6. Lothar is 1

Lothar is 1 Member+

Oct 21, 1999

I dont think anyone has asked for the fort to be seiged by 5 yr olds

we are simply saying, you got plenty of chants
    you've listed a bunch of ones here
    it shows youre all creative enough

why must you still revert back to the "you suck" chant
    which is something middle-school jerks yell out at high school soccer matches?
    it just gives the impression that soccer fans
    are just as mature as middle-school jerks

thats not how i think you want to sell the game
    because the league may have been around for 10 yrs
    but theres no garuntee itll be around 10 more
    we need every fan we can get

i have no problem with singing chanting,
    i sit sometimes in the fort, i sit sometimes on the sidelines
    i dont think either has a monopoly on true soccer fan bahavior
    there simply isnt one...

and i think stadium wide a lot of people would like to sing along with chants
    if it were a catchy enough tune, which came through the PA,
    or on the video screens on either end of the stadium

just "you suck" isnt a chant, its plain stupid
    it doesnt acheive any of those things you claimed you were after
    it doesnt help our players, it doesnt hurt their keeper

if you really want to be original, and fun
    you'll try to actually get under the keepers skin with original insults
    and more appropriate chants, like "seive, seive, seive"
    instead of something he laughed off before getting to high school

for those of you who still dont get it,
    (and have absolutely no clue what its like to have kids)
    we are not dissing on you for your passion or excitement
    we are challenging you to raise your standard of insult
    so that its not something pathetic, but intense and meaningful
    something worth getting into doing

and i bet when you head in that direction, you will see more people sing along

the ones magpie listed here are all pretty original,
    thats what the post was about... originality in the stands

not just copying a song brits chant, and adding revs words to it
    or using stupid songs chanted at high school soccer games
    because when you break it down...
    theyre right when they sing about us
    "we only have one song" and its still the rev-o-lution chant
    but they dont have any either, they just copy brit songs

bring back ones like "viva la revolution!"
    that are creative and fun

and please, leave the childish stuff behind
    afterall... is it too much trouble to chant seive, seive, seive instead?
    will anyone really miss sucking?

7. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't argue that Sox fans are passionate or knowledgable. I was just showing you that the dumbing down of sports fans goes across all sports. I've been to my share of Sox games, I've been a Pats season ticket holder for 11 years coming up, and I've been to my share of college hockey games, both up at Alfond and not.

I've heard the same "singing" and "chanting" at the UMaine games. So if our noise is manufactured, theirs must be too.

And yes, I'll venture that 75% of the time at the Pats games, people don't start to cheer until a) the DiamondVision puts up something trying to get them to make noise (the scenes from Braveheart and Animal House come to mind) or the stadium music guy starts playing something that will get people to follow on (AC/DC, "Defense", Rock n' Roll Part II).

Fair enough. So then according to you, whether it be the "Let's Go Red Sox" chant, or the Maine chants (some of which are classic BTW), or the Pats fans with the "Cut that Meat" chant last year during the playoff game. All of that is manufactured. Or the Celtics/Bruins with their big DiamondVision that proclaims right towards the end of commercial breaks that we should try and make the stadium like the Garden and they have the noise meter going. So coming back from break sounds like the place is just erupting.

Yeah ... none of that is manufactured. And yet, what we're doing is. :rolleyes:

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First you say

Then you say ...

So you want us to be unique and come up with our own chants. By using a hockey chant? Hmm ...

And first you tell us you don't need all the stuff that goes in Europe because it is done by the most "riotous of fans" (which includes the chanting/singing/drumming), but then you say you have no problem with the chanting? Which one is it?

We've made two issues out of one that doesn't exist. I think you'll see enough people on here that don't really care if the You Suck chant doesn't come back. I don't give a damn either way ... I play the drum to it, but rarely even bother yelling it any more.

You also realize that most of the chants that Magpie listed are used by teams all around the world, with the team names changed to their situation right? You also realize that there are some chants that we do that we'd like to think we've come up with all on our own. That's how it works.

Ahh ... this is just frustrating me at this point. I need to get the hell away from this thread now.

I'm going to go suck down my beer. :p

9. TheLimeChicken

Mar 27, 2001
    Dorchester, MA

10. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

11. Rev79

Rev79 New Member

Aug 17, 1999
    Just a side note, I was disappointed that the Riders didn't bring their drums and chanting down to the plaza after the Dallas game. Coming down the ramps after the Metrostars game to that sort of atmosphere a few weeks ago was electrifying... I seriously had goosebumps.

IMO, that sort of atmosphere can be appreciated by ALL. It's not upsetting to those who think some of the chants are vulgar and it's still boisterous, fun-loving and supportive of our Revs.

12. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Quick, fried cheese stat!

:D

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know ... this is a good point. Maybe we should try and make a concerted effort to do this every game?

Or did this only work because of the Mutts fans that were coming down the ramps?

Thoughts?

14. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When he got home that night, Mike asked if we'd done that after the game. I said we hadn't, and he replied that was kind of a shame, because it sure went over well after the previous game. I don't know that it'd work after every match, but I do think it's certainly something to try at least after a decent result.

15. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    I think we should definately do it there from now on......then make way to the cars, the fans seemed a lot more interested in joining in....plus its a good tradition to start when we have everyone gathering around as we celebrate

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said, I really like the idea ... I'm just worried that it might have been a one time thing with how well it worked.

17. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    If you are bothered by the "You Suck" chant, then for God's sake don't ever attend a match in Germany. Their version is "Arschloch, Wichser, Hurensohn! - look those words up!

18. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PLEASE--READ THIS POST 10 Times.
    It may be one of the more important posts on this Board this year.

As I posted right aftre that match the post MUTT game celebration was a HUGE vehicle for teaching fans how to cheer and encouraging them to come back. It should become a tradition after EVERY REV WIN. Don't worry that it might become boring--just the opposit--over time it will GROW bigger and bigger. The "common" where all fans must pass to get out of the stadium is ideal for a post game celebration. BANG THEM DRUMS and YELL--REV-O-LU-TION :D

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now this is good ... we need more of the fans not in the Fort, not only wanting us to do this, but hopefully joining in.

Our own version of the "Circle of Drums" from DC.

20. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I second that! I thought it was brilliant. One of those, geez I wish the Fort crew did this after every match. My nephews especially dug it. And plus, I got to hook up with a few Fort-folk (say that five times fast!) who I had seen in a while. It makes a nice celebration, regrouping, meeting spot, and a vehicle to embrace more fans -- fans of all ages -- in a celebratory manner.

Nice indeed.

With all the back and forth banter on what works, what doesn't, what's offensive, and what's not, all I can say is that we are in our infancy of fan celebration and support with our mighty Revs. Do what feels natural, even if a bit "forced", and years from now we will have cultivated an electric atmosphere. The Fort is certainly doing a mighty fine job toward that ends. In the meantime, at least those bouncing and jumping and singing along will have fun. Keep up the good work, boys and girls.

21. bostonbully

bostonbully New Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I normally agree with you, Monty, but not here.

This is our own version of our own thing. Although I do not know this for a fact, I'm willing to bet that you guys didn't march down to the exit with in mind to create a "Circle of Drums"... it was spontaneous. You were caught in the moment. It just happened. It was our own thing. Our own version. :)

The Revolution Victory March

Or call it what you may.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. We actually started walking out, and looked up to see the Mutts fans holding up one of their banners ... so decided to go into that little circle area and let them know we'd serenade them on the way out. :)

23. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Good post!

Pretty much my view.

I think the whole debate about whether "you suck" is obscene or not may be a generational thing (and it's making me feel old!). Our whole society is exposed to a much lower standard of obscene language in public than ever before (piss, suck, crap, damn, j-c, etc. were absolutely NOT acceptable language when the boomers were growing up). To some people, that makes it normal and no big deal. To a lot of others, it ain't pretty.

Would you use that kind of language around your niece? Your grandmother? Why is it okay to use it around other people's families?

I don't think I'm prudish by any means, but I really don't like going to ballgames (or anywhere for that matter) with my kids and hearing people dropping f-bombs and s-bombs, etc., with no concern for who is around them at all (and believe me, I know they hear it all the time, but that doesn't mean I have to like it).

Probably it's just another sign of a general lack of respect for others (like not using blinkers when driving or talking on a cell phone in a crowd) that I perceive, but some of the advocates of "you suck" are voicing exactly that attitude: "I'm going to keep doing it, and I don't care what anyone else thinks".

24. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    here we go in circles again

25. ElmCityBrewCrew

Jul 8, 2002
    Elm City, CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everyone should complain about it more on the internet. That'll change things for sure.