Originality in the Stands

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by SpeedyOne, Jul 14, 2005.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    George,

Believe me, I appreciate your sincereity and don't question it. However, I don't think the issue (and maybe I'm in a minority here) has as much to do with people in The Fort feeing some sense of superiority... that we're "real fans," but rather, and overiding desire to see the "family crowd" be a bit more expressive in their support... and you know what, they have been, and it has not gone unappreciated. The "Re-vo-lution" chant coming from the East side of the stadium has been growing each game, and I really hope that keeps up. It's been well-earned by the players, and I'm willing to bet they've noticed.

I also know that an overwhelming majority of fans who currently attend Revolution matches are much like yourself: prefering "not to sing, and sit and watch," and that's fine. Believe me, there are some soccer games I've been to (not Revolution or U.S. National Team games though) where I'd prefer to do much the same, and have done so.

Speaking for myself, I sometimes get defensive in discussions such as this because I know exactly how hard some people have worked to cultivate and maintain a place for supporters in Gillette Stadium where fans can sing, stand, etc. I also get defensive, in that - I understand that so-called "hard core" fans who regularly take in games from The Fort are not a recyclable entity, this unlike the family crowd, which the Revolution can always fall back upon to draw out new fans.

Anyway... just my two cents

The Magpie

2. B1

B1 Member

Feb 19, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, why is this subject now being discussed in three separate threads?

Actually, the guy Monty was responding to said just that:

Although to be fair his post was all over the place and he's seems to be contradicting himself at different points. So I'm not sure what he's trying to say.

As for the you suck chant towards the keeper? I couldn't care one way or the other about it. It's a chant that gets done only one half a game, and if there are no goal kicks it doesn't get done at all. So it doesn't matter to me if we do it, the you suck part is not essential.

3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Really? That's an interesting theory!

I guess I wish I had been more blocked and coddled! :D

4. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would this be a bad time to point out that "you suck" is patently not obscene? Seriously dude, it's G-rated language. The "Piss on the Fire" chant is a hundred times cruder, but I actually hear compliments about it.

5. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Like, seriously dude, like some dudes like find it like offensive

It like, doesnt like matter ya know dude that like you , ya know, dont

Dude

6. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot of us loyal, noise making fans would be grateful if you would do that.

Thank you in advance for being willing to listen to the valid concerns of other fans who are just as committed to the Revs as those of you who sit in The Fort.

7. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

Gillette Stadium :p

8. lufty

lufty Member

Aug 21, 2000

I honestly miss ********. Bring back the whole chant.

youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu suck ******** ha ha ha

9. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, IMO most people who attend out games would consider both itens to be vulgar. The fact that this is true does not invalidate your right to be vulgar if you wish. The fact that some of us believe that we can have a loud and meaning set of chants and cheers without resorting to vulgarity is also a valid position. We are asking those who have been using vulgar cheers to reconsider the matter and substitute language that is less offensive to those who do not wish to be bombarded with vulgarity.

10. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said anything about the Bruins??? :p

Mike

11. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

can we please close this thread, its the same stuff over and over

12. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Too much circular logic in this thread, it's giving me a headache.

13. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second that!

I noticed Saturday that the "YOU SUCK" chant was a little louder than usual.....I suspect as long as this "debate" continues the chant will get louder and LOUDER!!! :D

Mike

14. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA
    Im going to scream it as loud as possible at the LA game

15. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And maybe add an adjective or two!!! :D

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be too busy making fun of Landy-Cakes ... aka Baby Jesus ... aka Germany reject ...

17. Ultra Peanut

Ultra Peanut New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Achewood
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HE IS A FRIEND TO ALL LIBRARIANS, I TELL YOU

18. Sine Pari

Sine Pari Member

Oct 10, 2000
    NUNYA, BIZ

Why is he called "Landy-Cakes" ?

19. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Picture this: a local youth soccer group buys 100 tickets, almost always these will be GA tickets. They show up, come in the gate and hit the GA section right away, cool, lets sit here, right behind the net, right by the tunnel the players come out, great seats. On the way in they read a sign about the "Fort" and figure, couldn't be that bad, after all its billed as family entertainment, so in they go. All ages of kids and parents and coaches from ages 5 on up, after having it drilled into them to respect other players, the refs, teammates etc. Booing the other team, fine, not an issue. Then the first goal kick comes up. Instant turn off for probably 1/2 of them.

I see value in the fort, however I see it as keeping some families from returning, its hard to ignore when you are sitting a couple of rows behind it.

True there is a sign saying you can relocate to the other end, but the damage is done.

What about moving the fort to the other end? Keeps the fort intact, keeps families from unexpectadly getting an earfull and keeps parents from having to explain why what they teach thier kids is being ignored by others.

20. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's your father, who's your father, who's your father referee??? :D

21. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

cause he is SOOOOOO DREAMY ;)

22. Pyro

Pyro Member

Apr 18, 2000
    Fulton River District
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I despise threads like this....

People who start them typically forget that:
    1. They are in America
    2. The league has been around 10 years.

The fact of the matter is that US Soccer fans do not support their teams in the same manner as the rest of the world. Will this change in the future, who knows? Passion and chants and songs do not develop overnight. Americans have been trained to root in a certain manner (i.e. prompting from the PA, etc.) through other sports, so why do so many Bigsoccer posters think everyone should/would be going bonkers at MLS matches? Heck it took the Fire's Barnburners 8 years to figure out two chants that the crowd would join in on! Each of those only had one word in it: "Fire". Imagine getting a song going?!?

This US phenomonom also tends to make media and many BS posters think that American fans are incredibly outnumbered at national team games, when typically there are many more fans in attendance than it would seem (See: USA vs. England in Chicago). The true tally of fans can be told on the crowd roar when there is a goal or key play, not by how many are jumping up and down with a flag for the entire match.

Note: The "YSA" debate rages on in the Fire forum as well. ;)

23. edlova

edlova Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Somerville, MA

how about move the 100 kids to the other side, again, this is going IN CIRCLES

speaking of circles, I heard landon will be running in circles practicing before the match.......maybe he will take his shirt off :p

24. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Well, here's the thing:

* The Fort isn't the only general admission section in the stadium, and seldom are the other GA sections full, so there are options for a group that size to find alternative seating where the kids and everyone can enjoy the match...

* The Fort is a club-designated standing section, and that's clearly marked on the signs adjacent to section entrances...

* I've seen the Revolution billed as "family entertainment," but I've never seen that explicityly stated about The Fort...

* If this group of kids were in The Fort long enough, they'd also hear:

"We Love New England!"

"When the Revs Go Marching In!"

"Re-vo-lu-tion!"

"Supah, Supah Revs!"

"Here We Go!"

"(enter score) To The Boys In Blue!"

"Matt Reis (or any other player's name)"

"Come On You Revs!"

"Ole, Ole, Ole, Ole!"

"Viva La Revolution!' (old one that's not done much anymore)"

"Dum-de-dum-de-dum-dumee-dum-day, Oh New England!"

... and that's just a few.

Also, we've tried to move The Fort to the other end, or some other more isolated section in Gillette Stadium, but the Revolution won't go for it, citing costs as the primary concern.

Fans who want to be in The Fort, and be a part of everything that goes on int it, has no choice but to be in The Fort: they can't do it in other sections, and the fans don't have any other option. Fans who end up in The Fort, but who might not want to be in The Fort, have options... plenty of them, to sit someplace else.

Believe me, I appreciate and understand the concerns, but the flexibility doesn't exist where everyone's going to be happy.

The Magpie

25. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    And at least we did away with the "you suck, a$$hole" part of it... (as opposed to some other supporters groups that shall remain nameless;-)

Rand