Pre-match: Oranje vs. Bulgaria & Italy

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Brilliant Dutch, Mar 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nurvin

nurvin Member

Feb 11, 2011
    He didn't have much work to do today. Hoedt would have been better if it wasn't for the goal episode, at least tried to construct the game.

Depay is absolutely a winger. Promes can play as CF. It would have worked better.

I strongly disagree. I liked only Depay, Zoet and Sneijder. Toornstra also looked good, he used to have a good positioning but touched only few balls, he deserved more play time.

2. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think BMI experience really stood out in the game over hoedt. If you look at Van Dijk and De Vrij,both had a nervy start when they jumped onto the international. With more games I think Hoedt too will will become a good centre back.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  3. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Toornstra is over all a better player than Klaassen, but unfortunately Danny only let klaassen suck his ballzzz.

4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I hope the KNVB keeps Grim for the next few qualifiers and gives him at least a chance to see what he can do

5. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I really don't think Depay is a solution for the 9 position. He's not a real winger to me, and definitly not a pure striker neither. He falls in that category of players that should play 9,5.

If you analyze Depay attributes and compare them with the attributes a good 9 should have, you'll quickly realize that he can't hit a ball with his head, he's not a great finisher at all, his positionning has always been bad (a lot of off sides)...He is a good player to combine with, but with him as 9 we'll get a much poorer version of Van Persie.

Now, instead of player that silly midfield with Klaassen-Wijnaldum, I'd rather have Depay behind a striker as long as there's no good attacking midfielder coming out.

6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Donnarumma will be one of the best keepers in the world in a few years. Mark my words!

forza_azzurri repped this.
  7. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Van der sar

8. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Naa,his outings for u 21s proved he is in the same boat as danny.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You realize that he is only 18 years old?????:D

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    correct. We really don't know if he had any influence at all on this game other than selecting the lineup and making the substitutions. The NT deserves someone with an established track record at the senior level. I don't know if anyone wants the job for this qualification cycle.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are right in theory but I'm envisioning a different kind of front three with lots of interchanging of positions. This mandates good ball skills. Depay was really strong today and had some good moves. Look at the Barca MSN line (not that we have players of their ability), They are all good on the ball. Suarez is the best in the air but nothing great but they move all over the place. That's the kind of front line you need these days. A static 3 man front with inverted wingers doesn't cut it any more; it's too predictable.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We also have to remember this was just a friendly, and Italy didn't even have their A-team out today

13. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    And Netherlands did?

Missing Robben, De Vrij, Van Dijk, Janssen

14. That's the problem I've been mentioning several times the past years. The Dutch teams are so immobile/static that it is easy to defend and forces the u shape circulation. The players in front have to be on the move continually, so the opponent's defense cannot stand in one spot, but have to move too, thus creating penetrating opportunities and giving the midfield forward passing possibilities.
    But it is also a stamina problem. In the match of Heerenveen against Feyenoord I already mentioned the lack of stamina that broke up the Herenveen squad. When they had the energy their constant movement made it difficult for Feyenoord and made the match exciting. But Dutch teams are conditionally weak, so the front line strolls instead of run and move around. It's not for nothing Manu said about the perception of the Championship players about the Eredivisie as a league sooo slooow. We waffle much about quality, but when we donot prepare physically it is impossible to come into the quality zone. It's a coaching job to make teams physically ready to go for the full match and not, as Heerenveen only 35-40 minutes.
    In fact, if the individual player's stats show he hasnot done enough during the match he should be "punished" by making him spend the "saved" energy in training. So it is ridiculous to talk about Ajax dropping points against Excelsior because of the thursday EL match, as in the Eredivisie matches the energy spending is too low to even consider that as an excuse. It would only be so if the match was against Feyenoord or PSV.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You got 3 out 4 right, I'm not sure Janssen would be a starter ahead of Dost right now

16. 2nd_striker

2nd_striker Member

May 21, 2008
    London
    If dost is no1 right now we are in trouble. Why not use robben as false 9 and promes/depay either side?

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I generally would prefer Janssen over him as well, except he's seen so little playing time this year for Spurs

18. venema20

venema20 Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Janssen is well ahead of Dost. Janssen can actually score in an Oranje jersey. Dost is just useless

19. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yup, clearly the next Buffon. I'll be honest, even as a Juve fan, I think Donnarumma has made more impressive saves in the league than Buffon has this season. Juventus have a better defense so we probably don't see as many dangerous chances created by the opposition but still. And yes the fact that he is only 18 years old is also extremely impressive.

20. curbo

curbo Member

Apr 14, 2012
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    The biggest problem is the KNVB as they choose the trainer and staff, and influence all of dutch football. They, the leading people at the KNVB does not understand the game and which trainer would suit the current or future or past top 20-30 NT.. if you look at the people who run the place, then its no wonder we are fcked.

The Hiddink/Blind combination was such an enourmous huge idiotic decision from the start and the worst thing is they sticked to it as long as they possibly could in the hope to be proven right.

Break open champagne that Blind is gone, but as JC said earlier the rot is at the KNVB and we shouldnt get distracted from that just because they finally fired pappa blind.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  22. Frysk Bloed

Frysk Bloed Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    For me the best possible line-up we could field right now with everyone healthy would be this:

Zoet
    Karsdorp - de Vrij - van Dijk - Blind
    Wijnaldum - Strootman
    Sneijder
    Robben - Memphis - Promes​

Obviously it still has its flaws, but with the right coaching they could be very potent I think. There's a good combination of work rate, intelligence, skill and movement here. The problem, as far as I can tell, is a lack of depth really (besides the obvious coaching issues). There's guys we're waiting on to take the next step like Aké, Vilhena, Janssen, Kongolo/Willems maybe, van Ginkel, Riedewald, etc. that could really help in the near future but aren't ready yet. Then even further down the line maybe guys like Bergwijn, Nouri, van de Beek, de Ligt, Kadioglu, Kluivert, maybe Sierhuis and co....we'll see.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel. Qualifying will be difficult but we should still be able to with the players available to us.

23. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Yeah but Barca is Barca, they have been playing with this system and tactic for long years and with top players.

Many other teams tried it like Belgium with Mertens as ST and it's terrible.

The fact the team had some nice attacks in a friendly against Italy means nothing, there was a friendly against Italy in 2013 where we played great football with Maher and Ola John in the line up...

24. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    The people who think Van Gaal will save us are dreaming. Van Gaal was lucky to have the Robben, Van Persie, Sneijder, Huntelaar, Nigel, VDV etc. when they were still performing at a top level.
    All these players contributed a lot in the WC 2014 qualifiers and of course during the world cup. He was dependant on these players (and especially Robben) much more than any other coach. Without Robben we wouldn't pass the group stage for sure. And with the current situation I'm not sure Van Gaal would have done better than Hiddink/Blind in terms of results. I don't think he would be stupid enough to put De Ligt as a starter though, but Van Gaal can also be very stupid and non logical like not being able to put Krul for the penalties against Argentina because he made some useless subs before and admitting it himself...

Remember the season 2009/2010 of Bayern please, Van Gaal took the team and Robben was injured a lot the first part of the season, Bayern hardly made it through the CL group stage. Then Robben came back and saved Van Gaal with scoring each goal that qualified the club to the CL finale. The following year Robben got injured again and Bayern was at the 9th place of the bundesliga in november so Van Gaal had to be sacked.

How is this not a proof Van Gaal was completly dependant on Robben ?

Was Wijnaldum a different player under Van Gaal or was it the same boring midfielder we're watching with NT now ? Second option.

What did Van Gaal do in Manchester last year ? Could he make Depay to progress ? No.

The only thing I like in him is that he got balls and would probably be the only one able to remove the Ajax privilege and Klassen for example. Otherwise I don't see any reason he would save dutch football while Hiddink couldn't do it.

nurvin repped this.
  25. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    vGaal did us a favour by not putting in Krul, it prevented us from losing our 4th WC final in a row (against Germany no less)