Optimists unite

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Jun 11, 2011.

1. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok here goes the 1 good thing about this Panama disaster:

Bob is going to have to make some major changes in the back, most likely back to the Gooch/Boca pairing with Bornstein/Lichaj on the left.

Ok thats all I got :(

2. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't feel very good about being an optimist.

3. Area Man

Area Man Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it too late to try something radical? Play Adu? Keep Jones in and sub out Jr? Wear those shiny green shoes?

4. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Change is good, but Gooch? :confused:

5. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    There's not too much to get excited about right now.

6. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can't be worse than Ream was tonight. Boca/Goodson? At least they might create a header between the 2 of them.

7. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've always depended on set-pieces.
    There were quite a few, and we didn't capitalize on more than one.
    I am optimistic that we will have more chances vs Guadeloupe and finish them, whatever formation and players BB decides upon.
    Would not want to be him right now.

8. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is big soccer, do you really need to start a thread, this the home of questioning your country is unpatriotic. The fact is that anyone can still be optimistic, we can still win this thing, but at least recognise that this team perhaps has been heading in the wrong direction for some time. I still see a US team not as good as one that exsisted 5 years ago.
    We're not getting stronger but still may be talented enough to win the Gold Cup.

9. SweetLife

SweetLife Red Card

Oct 4, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gooch should not have been droped. I still don't understand how you drop a player based on a game against spain in which he was not really even the worst.

10. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What are you talking about?
    Gooch was on the bench tonight, in fact I saw him warming up and thought the Bradley was gonna put him in.

11. Agudelicious9

Agudelicious9 Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I'm the biggest optimist I know and I'm struggling. Would like to see Gooch back. Maybe this Cans bradley. Here's my optimist PR spin... we just got woken up before it really matters. The fact that we're through two games and moving on is still in doubt is embarrassing.

12. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I'm kind of referencing is if Ream/Goodson duo would give us 'false positives' all the way into the semi finals, the truly bad game would happen under much more important circumstances.

At least now we know he's not ready and can go back to something different.

The reason Heaps got the start in 09 was because he had a decent performance in one game earlier in the tournament I forget who the opponent was.

13. FIREbradley

FIREbradley New Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    It was just one poor game. I'm sure our boys will take care of business against Guadeloupe. We'll take care of Mexico in the final.

14. aarond23

aarond23 Member+

Feb 24, 2006
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry I don't accept the 'one bad game theory' against inferior CONCACAF opponents...we should never lose at home vs CONCACAF other than Mexico.

15. starbuck9000

starbuck9000 Red Card

May 17, 2011
    i'm optimistic for the future. We have a lot of clever young players.

But I'm not optimistic for this tournament. The team Bradley selected has too many weakness's. There is no way in hell our back 4 will be able to deal with Chicharitto and Dos Santos.

We have an aging back line and inexperienced forwards. Agudelo is only 18 and doesn't even start for NYRB. It's crazy just throwing him in there and asking him perform. He's done pretty well considering he's not ready.

16. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There doesn't need to be a sunshine pumping optimist thread, but there does need to be a pragmatist thread.

No coach should ever have more than one cycle!!!!!!!!!11111!!!

Seems that's what Germany, England and Spain are planning on.

How can Mike Bradley start when he's been on the bench all spring!!!!!

And what midfielders do we have that haven't been spot performers, at best, all spring?

Falling behind early is the coaches fault!!!!!!!!

Apparently, it takes a goal or two for Americans to follow their marks...

We have to hire an awesome Euro coach!!!!!!!!!!

Like who?

Klinsmann!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't Germany fire him? If he was so awesome, why didn't anyone else hire him?

Wash, Rinse, Repeat

17. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It used to happen all the time. Not to mention, MLS and the NCAA has certainly helped improve the quality of CONCACAF players, not to mention, more of them than ever are playing in Europe and Mexico.

18. ignatz brick

ignatz brick Member

Dec 18, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at work during the match, waiting for CONCACAF tv site to update their "on demand" section before I can watch it, but idk. This team would have to play abysmally for me not to think they could bounce back. The yellow cards worry me, but refereeing here will always be a crapshoot.

I do agree that Bob's squad has its weaknesses, hearing that Wondo missed a sitter makes me even more depressed that he made it over Bunbury. Nonetheless, this team has what it takes to win and I'll stay optimistic until proven otherwise.

(Of course I say this having not watched yet. Maybe I'll be suicidal by the time I'm done with that, who knows.)

19. thejuggernaut

thejuggernaut Member

Mar 25, 2007
    PA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a sitter.
    In fact he could've been sitting down and he still would've scored.

20. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Lol, that's a very nice literal translation (and sadly true).

As for my optimist view..we can still win the group (though it doesn't seem likely), and our fate for advancing is totally in our hands, which is nice.

21. smokey

smokey Member

Nov 21, 2000
    Cali
    As a nat fan, I know this program needs to head in a different direction. I am optimistic that Bob Bradley will get exposed when this team does not make it out of the group stage. Finally, Sunil will have to do somethiung!! His instinct to hire a new catch were correct after the world cup. He just got cold feet. Concacaf is so lame that its possible this group can do well. US moderate success in concacaf will only mask serious issues with this program.

22. CTS26

CTS26 Member

LAFC
    United States
    May 26, 2008
    Kannapolis
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell would Germany fire him after he coached them to the WC Semifinal in 06 even though they lost to the eventual world champions Italy he still coached them to third place. Germany asked him if he would like to do another cycle and he said no leaving the reins to his then Assisstant Coach which will all know. I guess you were trying to be funny, would explain your yellow card.:rolleyes:

23. Grogtank

Grogtank Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Vegas Baby
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My optimism is grounded in Bob's incompetence. Eventually he will be replaced and the odds of getting someone better are at least 50/50.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is better to lose a match like this in the Group stage than in the knock out rounds.

Tactical moves need to be made as mentioned (especially in the back) but a leader on the field has to emerge. Donovan, Bocanegra, Dempsey, somebody needs to step up and lead the way verbally and in actions.

25. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Would 1 win in last 6 matches, 5 goals for 10 against convince you?