Opposing Goal Kick Chant

Discussion in 'Sons of Ben' started by Z010 Union, Jul 19, 2010.

1. i8ntdaone

i8ntdaone New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    well if you dislike it give us a new one im open to change. pref one thats more offensive then you suck asshole

2. kba26

kba26 Member

Mar 17, 2008
    What exactly is the point of going out of our way to be offensive? I have no probably with the profanity if its clever, but having it be the objective seems pretty immature.

3. i8ntdaone

i8ntdaone New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i was joking man lighten up

4. alessandro2016

May 23, 2006
    I'll admit that I enjoy it. While it may lack originality, it can be fun. Also, if the concern is that "every other supporters club does it," then we need to get rid of "We Love You" too.

5. KnightofNi

KnightofNi Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    how about "Yooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr mother is a disease ridden whore!"

would that work? :D

i never understood this one for home games.

6. i8ntdaone

i8ntdaone New Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    i like the cut of your jib my friend

7. Danny Le Torres

Jul 15, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Wow.

As of today, that's quite an even distribution of votes!

8. Coonpath

Coonpath Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Shamong, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm waiting for one of the goalies to stop on his run up to kick the ball to throw the River End off.

9. spiritof76

spiritof76 New Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love it. Anyone else??

10. VDub2174

VDub2174 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I noticed some people in 135 were kind of off when singing that and in turn, it threw me off.

11. cpurdom

cpurdom Member

Mar 3, 2008
    127 F
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I think the Zulu style Zolo which was coming through loud and clear on a couple of free kicks would work well for the kickoffs, even better if it was more of a chant - might throw the timing off.

12. tehgraarg

tehgraarg Member

Feb 9, 2006
    West Berlin, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dale Oh chant was a cluster fook in 135. I was watching for the hands being raised in 136 and 137 to get in sync but people don't know the Dale part of the song. So they sort of kept saying Philadelphia way too many times and not in a crescendo.

13. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could always just condense it to "Ooooooohhh....********!", taking out the overt bad language and replacing it with something that gets the message across a little more stealthily

Like. Would sound pretty cool with everyone together.

14. angryhugo

angryhugo Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Philly Phorever
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    screw it. we should just go all in and change it to "ooooooooohhhhhhhhh! you suck, you, fcuking c**t!!!"

15. TerrierFC

TerrierFC New Member

Oct 23, 2007
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wasn't a huge fan of it, but I agree that I still smile and laugh every time it happens. We have lots of original chants and will continue to have more, but there is something to be said for the ones that are easy and really get everyone into it. For example, the view from my seats at the top during the "woah woah woah!" part of "We Love ya, We love ya!", when everyone swings their scarves and jumps up and down, is just ridiculously awesome. And that's cause it's easy and everyone knows to just jump up and down and yell.

Also remember that the only people that even realize that a chant is "overused" are the other supporters who actually pay attention to that stuff in other stadiums. 16,000 other people in PPL and all the people on TV just think it's funny (or crude) and VERY LOUD.

So my vote is to keep it and fully embrace its stupidity, childishness and overall awesomeness.

16. weeszel

weeszel Member

Feb 3, 2010
    sec 139
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agree for 139 we had 3 capos on sat and you could see they were having a hard time picking up 137 from the front of the section though we have our own upper mid section group whose chants get picked up and spread through 139 and 140 getting better though each week dale oh never gets over here very coherently and you could see the fist pumps for jersey shore but i it didn't get picked up i think it is just a sound thing the sound just goes straight to the field not to the sides we need to pick up the chants from 138 better i guess

17. Io sono Unionista

Jun 24, 2010
    WE ARE 138, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I voted like it. I don't have a problem with the language, but I would prefer something more original. Good enough for now.

If you have a problem with the word asshole, you probably haven't been to another Philly sports event. It's been a chant here at least since I was a kid (I'm sure before, but I can't remember anything before I was a kid). I don't see what all the fuss is about all the sudden. Was soccer supposed to be the sport for wholesome fans?

18. Badtz

Badtz New Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people do think soccer is only supposed to be for little kids and wholesome families, and they're the ones causing the most fuss. :rolleyes:

I'm with you (and others) who don't love this chant, but it's okay. I don't care about the language aspect, just that it is overused. I'm not sure it really has the desired effect of shaking up the keeper.

I did have to laugh, though, when I saw someone on Facebook say his 8-year-old son yells, "Union gets goals!"

19. Crudson

Crudson New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The language isn't an issue at all for me, I just think it's just a bit weak.

We have a mix of original, standard club, international (USMNT) and old-school chants. I hadn't heard "she fell over" since I used to watch Reading at the old Elm Park years ago, but that one still hits the spot.

The mainstay goalkeeping chant in England used to be "OooooooOOOHHH....you're shit, aaaaahhhhhh", which I think has a bit more bite than the "asshole" one, while still being amusing and reasonably inoffensive.

Ultimately though, it's one of the few chants that everyone in the stadium seems to get behind, and as such I can't decry it too much.

20. SoItGoes

SoItGoes Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Section 109
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Exactly. I would welcome an alternative, but I can't say that I don't scream it, either, along with pretty much everyone else.

21. yahmpy

yahmpy New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could give or take it. I like it because using loud profanity in public is fun. I don't like it because it does lack originality.

I would be happy chanting ******** you (fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yoooooooou, fuuuuuuuuuuuck you.....) at the goalie until he kicks the goal kick.

22. School House Merc

School House Merc New Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Pittsgrove twp.
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sit in section 109 and you can hear it loud and clear (good job). It does not seem to bother anyone around me, it does get a few chuckles.:)

23. Dbird76

May 12, 2009
    Buggytopia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as much as it is a rip off, it doesn't grate me like the "Frosted Flakes" chant. Plus we pretty much sound the best because it comes so natural.... maybe we should add a big "pooooonto! You Fat Bastard!!" after the Y.S.A. and cover everybody's goal kick chant....

24. VDub2174

VDub2174 Member

Sep 23, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I tried to sync up to the other sections too but i kept hearing someone say Dale way too many times and it really threw me off......lol

25. ZoloFootball

ZoloFootball New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Temple University
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I'm fine with curses (although I find them to be unnecessary), but the chant is just so lame and unimaginative. Can't we come up with something better?