Opinion on the BC Place roof/tarp/cover

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by ArsenalACE, Apr 8, 2014.

1. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    I am in Atlanta and are excited about the idea of MLS finally coming to Atlanta/the Southeast US. The stadium the team will play in will be the new Falcons stadium and will have a similar covering to BC Place. My question is what do you guys think about it at BC Place? Does it feel like a smaller stadium or add to the atmosphere? I would love to hear from you guys since you are already experiencing this.

2. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Hello.

The problem with our stadium is the turf. I hope you stadium is better, or has grass.

As for the covering of the upper deck with the drapes. I love it and it makes it look like a full one level stadium, instead of a half empty stadium.

Good idea for your club to do it.

3. ArsenalACE

ArsenalACE Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Rome, GA
    Unfortunately it will be turf not grass. It will have a retractable roof which can be nice for air and sunlight and can be closed to keep the sound in.

Here is what it will look like.

[​IMG]

4. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    about 5 000-6 000 seat in the lower bowl are usually tarped off (exceptions being when a team like seattle or portland come with their supporters group and another 2 000 are opened up); the lower bowl seats about 27 000, but the caps call 21 000 a sell-out- with that kind of logic, why dont chivas tarp off 18 000 seats, get a crowd of
    9 000 and call it a sell out?? its called dumbing down the product and trying to fool the fans

having said that, the lower bowl with 21 000 provides a great atmosphere and the noise is kept in

the upper bowl had drapes hanging down and you can only get glimpses of the seats- its a lot better than tarping as it keeps the noise in the lower bowl rather than it drifting up to the top rafters

this draping off the upper seating is the right way of getting a great atmosphere in the lower bowl and atlanta should do the same in their monstrous stadium which will be over 20 000 more seats than bc place in vancouver; i would expect a lot of tarps in the lower bowl as i doubt that atlanta fans will pack 31 000 into it

one major problem has been all the trade shows, etc that have been placed over the turf which has resulted in a very poor playing field for soccer- after only 3 years, it is worn out and more like concrete- my guess is that a hybrid grass will happen, maybe for the WWC in 2015 where the semis and final game will be played- how that will hold up with all the other non-sporting events remains to be seen, but it surely must be better than field turf.. or at least i hope so

6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    now that a law suit has been launched by some star women players for the WWC 2105 with major games in vancouver, there is even more hope to see a better field surface for 2015

7. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    their suit is to play on grass.... getting a new turf for bc place will not solve that problem. get your head straight

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

well my head says that something will be done to placate the women so my best hope is a new turf just before the WWC that starts in june, 2015

i agree that it will not be grass

9. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Actually, it's called limiting supply to drive up demand.

If people know there are only 21 000 seats and that those seats usually sell out, they will commit early and purchase tickets.

If there were 50 000 seats and fans knew they could always get walk up tickets, all but the hard core fans would never commit in advance. Instead of 21 000 every game, there would be a couple of larger crowds for rivalry games and a whole bunch of 15 000 to 20 000 games. The team would rather take the assured 21 000 with the associated concessions sales and the perception of "hard to get event" status.

If the Whitecaps continue to sell out and if they have a solid waiting list for season tickets, expect the number for a sell out to gradually creep up toward 27 000.

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

i will be interesting to see what the demand for STs is after the 2014 season ended with a lot of positive hype and energy- if the caps reach another 2 000 ST holders added to their existing 13 000, then the seating might go up to 23 000; i do think, however, that massive games vs portland, the galaxy and seattle should be seen as special events, heavily promoted and aim to sell out the lower bowl of 27 000- its worked in seattle where crowds of over 60 000 come for games vs portland- the caps need to be more aggressive with their marketing and go after the soft supporters, which one would hope, would become future ST holders

11. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    Quite nice to know the Caps never revealed their 2014 season ticket number; but you seem to know what it is.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    yes i do- some of us have solid inside info, unlike some speculators who have little knowledge of the game or the whitecaps, just trolling to make themselves important

13. soccerman2013

soccerman2013 Member

Oct 4, 2013
    The day you stop making up shit, is the day you matter on this board.

14. England_FC

England_FC New Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sorry to hi-jack this thread, I've only just joined and I can't create my own forum yet.

I'm visiting Vancouver in September and I want to get tickets to the game against Colorado. What's the best / most fun section to sit in? I go to the Emirates a lot to watch Arsenal and the atmosphere can be dull. I want to be involved with the crowd where all the chanting / singing / banter goes on. Basically, I don't want to sit in the family enclosure.

Any help would be great!

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    sorry that you had to pick colorado as they are 1 of the weakest teams in MLS and rarely offer anything dynamic to a game- having said that, they are a thorn in vancouver's side- for whatever reason, we always struggle against them

also: The Southsiders (the largest supporter group) are located in Sections 248-254 of BC Place so you would want a seat around there or section 201-207 which are other designated home supporters sections. chants, singing and some brutish sounds can add to the fun for you

http://www.ticketmaster.ca/vancouve...g-0_11004E51842E5AAA&brand=vancouverwhitecaps