Open Tryouts in Febuary

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by ButlerBob, Jan 13, 2009.

1. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Red Stars are having an open tryout next month on Febuary 12th. It's going to be at the Max McCook Athletic and Exposition indoor facility. Does anyone know anything about the size of it. I hope it's as big as something like Northwestern indoor football practise facility.

I would imagine that they will get a pretty good turn out for this tryout. I think they will get some players with some pretty good skill. But at this point I'm guessing the team will be looking for role players that can play a couple of positions. With an 18 player roster you need to have flexible players at the bottom.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ektid7300.aspx?team=chicago

2. pegasus5

pegasus5 New Member

Feb 20, 2007
    Midwest
    The McCook facility is 136 x 53 yards if you use the entire turf area. Most of the time teams use 100 x 53 for games or 2 half fields of approx. 68 x 53 to run 2 separate scrimmage areas. It's a nice indoor facility, 2 years old with good turf, just a bit narrow compared with good outdoor venues.

3. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the update. I wasn't aware of the facility. I would imagine that a place like that does pretty good business during the winter. In cities like Chicago, having a facility with a full size indoor pitch could be a good business venture.

Here's a link to their site.

http://www.max-mccook.com/index.htm

4. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  5. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Back to the tryouts. Does anyone know players that will be attending. I know a couple NAIA players that will be there. I wonder if the team will mix in some players that are already invited to camp, so that they will have a standard to measure the other players to. I know some of the W-League teams do this when they have tryouts.

6. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a link to video of the tryouts from Peter Wilt's blog.

http://www.chicagoprowomenssoccer.blogspot.com/?team=chicago

Also here is some more info from his blog.

The pool of seventy players who participated the first day was narrowed to thirty for the second day. Six players were selected from the tryouts to join the Red Stars for the first official preseason training sessions starting March 1st. The chosen half dozen are Tina Estrada, Shannon Schneeman, Erin Walter, Molly Uyenishi, Bonnie Young and Michelle Wenino.

7. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Tina Estrada is in full form, she will be great. She was a player for Santa Clara who was very dangerous, but suffered some injuries that slowed her down. If the injuries are over with, she is a premier player.

8. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007