Open Cup QF: Burn-Rapids [R]

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by greenie, Aug 8, 2002.

1. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO

2. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Read in the paper that the Raps lost 1-0 in overtime. Dallas seems to have our number this year.

3. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I was able to watch the Rapids pi$$ away another glorious chance to salvage a season...

4. iluvsoccer

iluvsoccer New Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Attendance

It sucks we lost. :(

What's up with an attendance of 1,300 at the Cotton Bowl? Did the Burn not advertise this match at all? The atmosphere must have been awful.

5. Malaga CF fan

Malaga CF fan Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Fairfax, VA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance and result

Only 1300? There are high school matches that get more than that!

Bummed that we lost though. The Burn do indeed seem to have our number this year. I hope we don't meet them in the playoffs....

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    So you were at the game, Fashion? If so, how about a few comments on how they played?

I'm assuming we went with only defensive subs because there wasn't anyone else on the bench (great decision, releasing Beckerman to the U23 Reserve Tour of England).

Were Herdsman, Kingsley and Mastroeni tired or injured when they were subbed off?

Was Palacios even there?

7. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    Keep in mind three things:

1. There isn't a very long timeframe between the time the match is announced until it's played. Not a lot of promo time.

2. MLS attendances start with your season ticket total. Open Cup, you're starting with zero.

3. Let's face it, while I don't have surveys for "proof" not the time to do so, your average soccer fan in the US does not know about the Open Cup for one reason or another. It's not a widely known tourney, save for the diehards and a few others.

8. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Re: Attendance

You know, it really wasn't. It was actually kind of fun. More intimate, and you could really hear the jeering and chants of the Burn supporters' group. It reminded me of the atmosphere of a Class A baseball game (much better than the majors, which I can't stand).

As for the game, the Rapids just ran out of gas. Carlos was dead in the overtime. Garbage goal, but better to go out that way than penalties, I suppose...

9. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    So I take it the goal wasn't exactly like Ruiz's last night (brushed Goose aside, chips the ball over and around Conrad, solo breakin, perfect finish over Conway's left shoulder).

10. Metro

Metro New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Dallas
    Re: Attendance

Advertising...very little. I found out from bigsoccer and an e-newsletter.

Atmosphere...better than one might think. Rapids players seem to enjoy their pre-game jeering from the supporters groups. Titus was laughing about it during introductions. Titus not only welcomed our taunting, he threw a little back at us! Nothing mean though.

Overall, a very entertaining game. I hope we get another USOC game in Dallas.

11. Mr Hanki's Throne

Mr Hanki's Throne New Member

Mar 13, 2001
    Wellington, Colo
    Is this the kind of matchup that is hosted by two teams that would rather not host the game? :)

12. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I give you credit, Rapids you played well. I was there and it was exciting. I dunno why people don't follow the Open Cup (and you call yourselves soccer fans). The goal WAS NOT garbage, well not really. It seemed like a well timed run by O'Brien, and he finished it, what more can you ask for? Good game for both teams, you could tell Colorado was upset they lost but in a way glad it was over.

13. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    The Rapids had a few short weeks to promote the USA-Mexico game here, didn't seem to have a problem. Granted, that was two HUGE teams but getting the word out isn't very hard.

The Burn knew quite a while ago that if they won their 3rd round game they'd be hosting the 4th round game.

Not to mention, the Burn were offering $5 tickets. I think you just can't get around the fact that people just weren't interested.

Not necessarily; the Burn could easily have included this match as part of their season ticket package. Most every team includes one or two extra tickets that can be used for playoffs or exhibitions -- certainly it could have been counted for the Open Cup match.

And as long as the teams themselves fail to promote these games and educate their fans, it's not going to improve. Note that the Rapids hardly made a big deal of publicizing their Open Cup matches this year.

14. Jeff

Jeff Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Alexandria, NOVA
    The Burn could have done these things, but it sounds like they didn't. I understand that they knew they'd host a 4th round game, but that's a coulda/will ya until they actually win (promotion wise). That's where I was getting the short promo time from. Maybe a better way to say it is they had a short time frame from when they had a guaranteed match date until the actual match. They're not going to promote the fourth round until they've won the third round, or at least I wouldn't think. Slightly different strategy than "pay for your playoff tickets in advance" with a one-off.

I do agree it's up to the front office to get the ball rolling on making fans know about this.

15. He's In Fashion

Jan 7, 2000
    Littlefun, CO, US
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there, that was a sarcastic comment about the lack of a broadcast and the crappy tracker was horrible!

16. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    Yea, it would have been helpful to have Beckerman.

Titus, Herdsman, Mastroeni were all good. Chung had a good game. Two impressions were that you missed Spencer because you had little direct play. Carrieri is not yet the star striker that gives you direct play. You had the ball a ton but did relatively little with it. Most crosses were cleared, and you didn't have a lot of success with one-touch combinations in front of goal.

The Burn started out tired, and managed to play through it for the most part. It was a hard battle to run for some of both teams by the end.

Kingsley was decent but was about to get tossed. Chivas was eating him up on his side with his speed. He got a yellow for holding, and the longer it went, the more likely he'd have gotten a second.

It was excruciating to watch the Burn play 110 minutes knowing that the Fire game was only a few days away. Pareja, Rhine, Kreis, Morrow and Vaca all got shorter games though. Deering, Suarez, and Broome had to run the most. Chivas should have but he was either still tired or saving himself cause he decided not to make several runs he should have.

Titus was fun, Henderson is so good these days, just could not connect.