Open Cup Draw: Wolves at Tucson Tuesday 5/14

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising FC' started by kenntomasch, May 1, 2013.

1. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US Open Cup draw is out, and the Wolves are headed to the Old Pueblo to play FC Tucson on Tuesday, May 14 at 7:30 pm PT at Kino Sports Complex.

2. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tucson after dark, that's scary. I wonder when tickets will go on sale and how much they will be.

Will this be at the old baseball stadium or the smaller field where they played the desert friendlies?

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supposedly "Field 5," which I THINK is their normal FCT home field.

4. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    90% chance of going.

5. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, Kenn. I'd rather watch at a smaller stadium than a converted baseball stadium.

I'm planning on going unless something comes up between now and May 14.

6. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We will be arranging car pools if you are interested.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't go on the bus?

:)

8. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did find a short bus for $2,500 I thought about getting for us.

9. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got an e-mail from FC Tucson about the game. Tickets are $16. They are billing it as 'Defend our house!' You think they'd realize not everyone on their e-mail list is a FC Tucson fan.

I was going to drive, but I'll let you know if I change my mind.

10. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's also a $2 fee, just so you're aware. And no worries on the carpool thing, just throwing it out there. Gas is expensive.

11. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but, to be fair,the bulk of that audience would be.

12. Matt117

Matt117 Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Tempe, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just bought my tickets. Total was 36.92 for 2 tickets. More than I expected, but it's reasonable. I might make it a work/soccer trip and go earlier in the day. Me or someone else at my office may need something done in Tucson. I'll let you know though.

13. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you planning on driving down, a couple of notes.
    • Do not buy gas from the Chevron at the corner of Ajo and I-10. Its a ripoff. Its always $.30 more per gallon compared to every other gas station in Tucson. Today, the Chevron was at $3.50 a gallon, while at the Circle K two blocks away was $3.20 a gallon, and the Costco next door was $3.15 a gallon
    • There's not much around the stadium. No bars or restaurants within walking distance. There's an In'n'Out, a brand new Costco, a brand new Wal-Mart SuperCenter, the overpriced Chevron, and a decent Circle K next to the stadium. That's basically it.
    • The game is at the Desert Friendlies Stadium, not the Desert Diamond Cup stadium.
    • The Padres have a game at the exact same time, but that won't effect traffic at all. It's free ticket Tuesday (just show up and you get in for free), but they'll only draw about 2,000.
    • Sorry about the prices. FC Tucson is becoming a joke when it comes to ticket prices for any of its events.
    • Beer is $5.50 a bottle in the stadium. They only serve Budweiser, Bud-Light, and Michelob Ultra.
    If you heckle anyone inside the stadium, please heckle the PA guy/the DJ. His music is always shit. No joke. & I think FC Tucson is going to make you guys (PHX supporters) sit in your own section.

14. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the info, do you guys have music piped in during the match?

Also how much is parking?

15. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Music is not piped in during the match. Rather, the music selection is so poor during the pre-game, post-game, and half-time that we literally run out of the stadium at the end of the match. Think of a 6th grade dance music selection.
    Parking is free for everyone, but its first come, first serve (but it shouldn't be full with the $18.26 ticket pricing.)
    & two other notes that I forgot to mention.
    • There actually is a brewery/bar/restaurant two minutes away from the stadium. Nimbus Brewing Company. http://www.nimbusbeer.com/main.htm . It's literally a two-minute drive away from the stadium.
    • & Tailgating is allowed at Kino North. The Cactus Pricks petitioned Pima County to remove the alcohol ban at the park, since alcohol was allowed inside the stadium. Pima County removed the ban.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Antonio hasn't been playing well, that's for sure.

Gotta get one first, though.

19. Killersheep

Killersheep Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, doing Pittsburgh, Dayton and Tucson in 6 days is going to be a challenge. Still the Tucson guys have barely played together so far.

20. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New email from FC Tucson
    No shit LFR has bought more tickets than the entire FC Tucson fan base. What does FC Tucson expect? You're charging $18.46 A PERSON for one ********ing game, and no discounts for season ticket holders. This email also confirms that FC Tucson has sold less than 100 tickets for the match.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People aren't going to Tempe in droves, they're going to go to Tucson in droves?

You would swear they are wagging the dog on this.

22. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, what do you expect? It's the US Open Cup final, according to the email.

23. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been told that if PHX would have won the coin flip, tickets would have been $5-$10, depending on the section. Don't know if fees and taxes would have applied.
    And yes, these emails are becoming desperate. Still waiting for the LivingSocial or Groupon deal before I buy my ticket. Tried convincing a good amount of friends last night to go to the match, and the general reaction has been "The tickets are just to damn expensive. If they were $10, I would go."
    The worst part is that the Padres will be playing a home game across the street, and tickets are FREE. Its Eeggee's Free Ticket Tuesday, every Tuesday this season. So if you're a Tucsonan, are you going to go to the Triple A baseball game that's free to enter, or the Single A vs. Double A soccer game that's $18.46 per person?

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we sure there WAS a coin flip? There is only a coin flip if both teams are willing and able to host. You have to express a willingness and have an adequate facility.

25. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, they won a coin flip, according to all 4 FC Tucson owners. PHX did send in the paper work to host US Open Cup matches (at least for Round 1 & Round 2).