Open Cup 8/3

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by ej_dad, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four pieces of "hardware":

MLS Cup
    US Open Cup
    Brimstone Cup
    and the Supporter's Shield

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Well these were rested starters. Good thing they didn't play against the Rapids. :( And now they'll be at well less than optimal effectiveness in 2 days when they play the Metros in Dallas. I said it before and I'm saying it again, I disagree with the decision to play the youngsters in Colorado and the starters in LA. That said, Jeffries has done a magnificent job this season, so I really shouldn't be second-guessing him.

Hang in there, you can still win the Supporters' Shield and get home field advantage all the way to MLS Cup 2002. Oh yeah ... beat the Metros please. :D

-Tron

3. NICDT Coach

NICDT Coach Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Cd'A, Idaho
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about the Brimstone Cup, but, as much as I would love it if Dallas won the Brimstone Cup every year forever and think it's a very cool concept, I don't think you could really claim to win a treble if you won say MLS, US, and the Brimstone cup.

4. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The second goal was the game.

I had no problem with the Burn down 1-0 on that unsavable shot by Ruiz. But after that pathetic effort by Jordan on the Cienfuegos goal (beaten to the near post from 20+ yards!) it was over. It was almost as weak as the goal Hartman gave up last week in the Cotton Bowl. Pitiful.

5. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: Generic Keys to beating LA tonight

0-3
    check
    oops
    so-so
    nope
    white kits

1-6 didn't get it done. LA would have beaten most anybody that night, especially anyone on one day rest. LA will not get to play anyone the rest of the season on one day rest.

6. jeffmefun

jeffmefun Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Quakeland, CA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It was a horrible effort.
    Also, what about the defender on Ruiz staying with Ruiz after he pushed the ball almost to a dead stop? A little tap like that is left for only one thing - an onrushing attacker - move to the ball, move to the ball...

7. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    snoop eddie ed

Just have to share...

So I'm a founding member of the LA RIOT SQUAD. But I'm a big fan of Eddie Johnson...

So... when we were up 3-0, I took it upon myself to patronize the visitor's strikers by yelling such fine platitudes like "Hey Eddie Johnson! You SUCK!"

To which he turned around and yelled "Hey spectator... SIT YO ASS DOWN!!!!"

I got smacked by Snoop Eddie Ed. He and I laughed about it later, but..... damn!

Oh yeah, Dallas actually played pretty solid. LA just blew me away tonight. I wish we could play like this every week.

tommy "yeah, I was from Dallas" Mack

8. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Re: snoop eddie ed

Nice story...

it must have been real easy for him to spot you because it looked like there were only about 50 of you in the whole place.

La locura rojinegra

9. Chamo

Chamo New Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Plano,TX
    Goalkeeping was the difference

Jordan had a terrible game. Contrast Jordan's
    play to that of Reis on the other end. Reis made the
    big saves, Jordan did not. Reis got to the blast by
    Cerritos to the upper 90. Reis got his fingers on the
    roller that Cerritos struck to the far post. Both of
    those shots would have got passed Jordan last night.

Granted the defense in front of Jordan did not do a
    very good job. Morrow, T-Bone, and Broome were out of sorts all night giving up all kinds of space and
    letting the LA players run free. But in a big game the keeper has to make big plays.

It looks like perhaps the biggest gamble coach
    Jeffries took was the decision to play Jordan along
    with all the rookies on Sunday at Colorado. He might
    have been better served throwing Vallow out there to avoid rattling Jordan's confindence going into what was the biggest game of the year so far.

The big question now is would you sit Jordan on
    Thursday or would you play him? I'm just glad that I
    am not the coach trying to make the decision.

La locura rojinegra

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did Cerritos take that first free kick instead of Kreis?

Jason didn't look too happy about that...and it certainly surprised the announcers...and me.

11. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Because Kreis has missed them lately. Everyone knew Kreis would take it, so why not change it up? Ughh if I hear Topper talk anymore smack on the rivalries board I'm gonna take the next flight to Cali and kick his ass, he's so annoying, so any burn fan wanna help me, El Jefe, and Swiss something out than you're welcome too.

12. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting that, as best I can tell, no LAG fans came on your boards to gloat. Only the Chicagooo trolls came out of the woodwork to wind you up. Unfortunately, some of you bit.

PS Topper in the rivalries forum doesn't count - anybody who goes into the rivalry forum knows what they are likely to see before they go there (and therefore they are enablers.)

13. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    True, true, and there's certainly a LOT to gloat about.

Best jab I can take at the Goons tonight is to point out that LA has classier fans.

14. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, how the mighty have fallen. Reduced to trolling the boards of a rival that's forgotten all about them, and over an Open Cup game no less. It's sort of satisfying in a way.

With regard to the generally cordial relations among Dallas and LA fans, I think it's a matter of geographical and cultural similarities. Californians are extremely laid-back, and Southern states like Texas are just generally more polite.

It's usually in the Northern/Eastern parts that the smack-talking mindset and "attitude" are held to be signs of "personality." And many there are even philistine enough to consider their uncouthness as urbanity.

15. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    I've never seen Flash Man talk any smack. He's from San Diego and is usually pretty neutral. He just seems to be a MLS and soccer fan. So I guess Topper is someone else?

16. dburn157

dburn157 New Member

Aug 13, 2001

Your insight is outstanding Jambon!!!

17. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Topper is actually funny. I kind of miss his galaxian mothership announcements. They always made me think of George Clinton and the P-Funk All Stars.

18. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    besides, I don't need anyone forking winding up my pissed off arse. I'm still spitting nails over yesterday, and daaaammmmmiiiiitt I won't rest until the Burn have drawn blood on the Metrohacks.

19. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Yessssssss. Blooooooood. Bloooood is gooooooood!
    Let the slaughter begin!

20. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll happen. LA was kind enough to remove MommaDialo to make the job easier. Of course, yuo still would have won, but now it'll be 8-0.

Good luck.

Tommy Mack

PS: About 3.5k fans showed up last night.

21. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I don't talk smack...'cause I'm a terrible SmackTalker!! Plus, I'm way too sensitive!! I know my limits. And anyway, I like the Burn. Just trying to enjoy some MLS discussion and Burn discourse.