News: Onyewu signs with AC Milan

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by appoo, Jul 7, 2009.

1. dsp87260

dsp87260 New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    I was gonna' correct that too...

but I also have to question the "Let's hope this isn't a repeat of that" comment....???

Lalas played well in Italy for Padova. He certainly wasn't the reason his team were one of the worst in Serie A anyway...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexi_Lalas
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_U.S._Cup
    Padova were bottom feeders before Lalas got there I'm sure....I don't think we have to worry about Gooch facing a relegation battle while with AC Milan.

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's an awfully big if, though. I'm not sure I'd put it at over 50%. They paid nothing for him, so from _their_ perspective it's still a good move if all he provides is insurance and depth.

From _our_ perspective, that would suck greatly.

3. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    This is off-topic, but let's ponder what might have been:

Standard Liege Vice-President: Inter Wanted Onyewu

http://goal.com/en-us/news/1614/ame...dard-liege-vice-president-inter-wanted-onyewu

Tough luck for Inter. I believe Mourinho had also sought Onyewu when he was at Chelsea as well.

PS: I vote for Il Guce, originally coined by The Offside Rules

4. galaxyfan03

galaxyfan03 Member

Jul 4, 2001
    Glendale, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite surprised that Gooch signed with a Serie A club!! Thought, for sure, he would end up in the EPL or La Liga!!

At least, he's with a "winning, tradition-rich" club but I worry about playing time, even with Maldini's retirement!!

If he becomes a regular starter on the backline, it will be worth it...at least, the competition will be better in Italy than in Belgium & he gets to play in the CL!!

5. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a big Serie A fan so I'm wicked excited Onyewu is playing in the league. AC Milan has always been my "big club" so now I have extra incentive to follow them.

6. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SHUT UP Goal.com!!!

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what does that even mean?

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, thanks. I was blocking out goalkeepers from my mind, and Spector had 3 league appearances with ManU. Spector had a masterful CC notwithstanding.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite excited, too, given your impressive overuse of the exclamation point. Two of 'em, after every sentence... including in your sig. That's seriously ninja.

11. reticent

reticent New Member

Jun 15, 2006
    I think this is excellent news and should lift the entire USMNT's confidence -- we *are* for real! Gooch/Gucci is 6'5" and a real great defender, so I truly hope/think that he can win a starting job. Now *that* would be so kick-ass! This could be the start of something seriously good for the US team.

(The more he learns in Italy, the more he could help teach other defenders on the USMNT. Etc.!)

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Was he talking about BigSoccer rep?

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    But of course, they didn't go AFTER him then, now did they, after all those fabuloso performances. It's not as though they didn't have the cash.

Newcastle, however, DID go after him.

How did that turn out? Any word on that?

Look, I hope Gooch kicks a$$ for AC and becomes a star in Serie A. I put the odds of him starting more than 20 games at 30% or so. If he does, fantastic. If he doesn't, well, his bank account will be much larger, and good for him.

14. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all due respect, piss off.

15. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait, you mean Italian football as in the current World Cup holders are a black eye on the European continent?

With all due respect, you're more than welcome to join Statman.

16. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl, with all due respect, please see my reply to Statman.

17. I. Tristeza

I. Tristeza Member

Oct 7, 2004
    San Antonio, Texas
    Not to mention Fukudome...

18. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    With all due respect, you're even more cranky than me, quite a dubious distinction.

So, no.

As for Gooch, just love your respect for him. I respect him too. I hope he does very very well.

If he does, I will be happily surprised. If he doesn't, I won't be dishearteningly disappointed, because while I may be less cranky than you, I am probably more realistic.

19. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My jaw dropped when I read this...

I know Gooch is good enough. I know our other top players are good enough. The question was always, does anyone else (meaning anyone who's opinion actually matters) think so?

Apparently they do. And that means something.

This could get very interesting...

20. keller#1

keller#1 Red Card

Feb 16, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    what exactly do you "realistically" expect of him then? He will get playing time this year-maybe even a starter if nesta is out injured, and even senderos got good gametime with them. Onyewu will definitely be fit for the world cup then. anyways, playing time at 27 is not what a player who is offered the chance to make it big looks for. I'm happy with this, and he'll hopefully become a starter AFTER the world cup, which will help him get another contract, which means he will play on till he's 37 because milan have magical doctors and he can help us in 2014 :). First things first though: shut down Ibrahimavich like he did Torres, and the tide will turn

21. keller#1

keller#1 Red Card

Feb 16, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    when inter, real, and ac milan are interested in a player (in a galactico year) dont doubt :)

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    And yet Donovan's phone is still waiting to ring.

(I'm sorry to harp on this, but this is maddening...)

23. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well, Landon didn't exactly manage his career perfectly from the business side of things. He probably closed the European door too tightly with his last MLS mega deal. It's tough to get a player like Landon out of MLS right now. MLS needs him way too badly to let him go on even a reasonable transfer fee.

What was Jozy... $10 million? So that would make Landon crazy expensive. In fact probably overpriced, even for all his considerable quality.

One thing I have always said about Gooch: he has managed his career perfectly. A central defender 27 years old at Milan in a rebuilding year. It doesn't get any better than that.

24. JonfromVegas

JonfromVegas Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Las Vegas
    What evidence do you have of this?

NO ONE knew Gooch was talking to Milan yesterday. LD will end up playing somewhere cool someday.

25. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    You are right.

Our players just aren't good enough...