Only train tall kids for goalie

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Oct 31, 2022.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    It's all about putting kids where they will best succeed.
    Instead of setting them up for failure.
    Sure, there's always exceptions.

You might have a short kid who wants to play basketball. Sure, let him, I guess. Just don't feed him false ideas about playing in the NBA. Yes there are exceptions like Nate Robinson. But that's like lottery odds. Even a tall guy getting into the NBA is near impossible.

I think goalie training is good for short kids as long as its IN ADDITION to your regular footwork training.
    But if it replaces it... bad. You can't turn back the clock.

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    That's the only way a short guy will be able to make the same saves- footwork.
    And his advantage is that he is quicker on his feet (due to lower center of gravity).
    Same reason a short running back will be more agile in football. And short wide receivers. They can make that lateral cut to find space.
    Same in basketball. The short guys have to use their feet (moving quick) and body positioning to find the gaps, as opposed to raw wing span.

3. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    And this is where your argument falls apart. YOU define "success" as playing in college. So the 93% of kids who played in HS, club, ODP, MLSNext, whatever but don't play in college are "unsuccessful " in your eyes. I feel sorry for your son if thats really true. Thats a lot of pressure to put on a kid.

And getting to MLS is near impossible for the random 10yo we're discussing. I think at the younger ages, tell them they have a shot, but it will take a lot of work, and a lot of luck. One thing they have control of, the other they don't. Rinse & repeat.

From what I remember from younger ages, GK would partipate in all drills until it was time to take shots on goal. Any goalie specific training was outside of team training.

kinznk and ShayG repped this.
  4. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I can only go on what I have observed. The fact is that some kids are distraught over their choice, or the one they were pressured to do. I don't like to see this. It's sad to see.
    We should look ahead and try to put them on the path where they will most likely succeed.

It's not the training sessions per se, it's the game minutes.

5. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'm going to take the success argument one step further. There are a ton of kids that are just playing because they enjoy the sport. They aren't going to play high school or high level club. Or they played travel soccer and quit because they hated it, but still love the game and come back to it,

To me that is success- creating players that love the game and play it no matter what level they play it at. In an ideal world these players go on to coach (humble brag about 25% of my high school girls rec team are coaching this season).

If playing goalie is what makes that kid happy then why stop them.

Fuegofan, CornfieldSoccer and sam_gordon repped this.
  6. bluechicago

bluechicago Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only kids distraught over their choices are the ones with parents like you who start putting pressure on them at 8 years old to be on the pathways to a professional career.

Most kids will not even make it to college. Let it be about fun, fitness, learning to work as part of a team. Stop judging whether or not a kid is successful by whether or not they can be in the top 5% of their sport.

Fuegofan, sam_gordon, ShayG and 3 others repped this.
  7. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    If they go on to coach or keep playing as adults or enjoy watching the sport (or all of the above), that's its own kind of high-level success, for the player and those who coached them, their parents, ...

Fuegofan, sam_gordon and jmnva repped this.
  8. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    lol
    first - the distraught kids were around age 16.
    i don't know any distraught 8 yr olds.

2nd - my kid can play any sport he wants to. he chooses to play soccer.
    my job is to give him the best environment for him to develop.

the scope of this post is for kids who seek to play at college or above. i've already said that. i'm not applying this to other kids.

the fact is, most, not all, but most, coaches will be biased towards height for the GK position.

9. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    oh boy, everyone is miscontstruing my words. i never said that success means college.
    someone asked me to define success for the parameters of my thesis (train tall kids for goalie), so i defined it as college, implying if you aren't on a path to play at a high level then i agree that height does not matter for GK. in that case fun is the aim, not winning in a highly competitive arena.
    success can mean whatever you want it to mean.

10. ShayG

ShayG Member+

Celtic
    United States
    Aug 9, 2021
    Whenever I have found myself making this statement it’s been a good idea to stop and re-examine my position.

bluechicago repped this.
  11. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    But, a short 10 year old, who enjoys being in the net may want to play in college (or pro). There's at least 8 years in which they may change their mind (and is likely to). Instead of letting him do what he enjoys (GK), you want to tell him "you won't make it as a GK in college, so you must play the field." You want to predict what that kid is going to decide 8 years down the road. How many times have you been told to simply enjoy the ride? But you keep wanting to put pressure on these 8-12 year olds.

12. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    i've re-examined and am sticking to my guns

13. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    In our case it's more like, the kid who resists it the least gets put in goal, since no kid on most of these teams eagerly ask to play it. They are just putting in the nice kid who won't say no.
    I'm fine with rotating through all the kids, but they should have some basic training in the position since it's so unique.

14. Fuegofan

Fuegofan Member+

Feb 17, 2001
    Chicago
    I think clubs should give all kids basic training in all positions. I don't think it happens at all clubs, and certainly the few that my son has been part of have fallen down on the job, but I'm sure that many clubs do. Lucky kids at those clubs.

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  15. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    "Sticking to my guns"?

OP: Only train tall kids for goalie.
    OP: Only play tall kids for goalie
    OP: Rotate many kids through goalie

Are you part politician? :p:D

16. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    If you're gonna play everyone at GK, then train everyone.
    But don't only play the short kids and not the tall kids.

17. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can edit the thread title if you’d like.

18. The Stig

The Stig Member

Jun 28, 2016
    I read all of that and that was my point. Your kid is still young as well as the kids he plays with. That is why it is foolish, at this young age, to pigeon hole kids at any size as keepers. Your premise is flawed and ludicrous.

It is one thing to be rash and rush your own kid but the idea that kids at this age should be pushed into a position shows your continued naivete and short sightedness.

ShayG repped this.
  19. The Stig

The Stig Member

Jun 28, 2016
    Your whole post is mostly dumb.

"Pro and collegiate goalies are tall". Thanks for the news flash. In other news, NBA players are also tall.

20. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    Your comments are mostly dumb

21. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    My premise is based on real observations.
    Teens getting depressed because they chose the wrong position. I guess that's ok with you though.

It's not complicated.
    In football, small kids don't play offensive line. But if you're coaching sounds like you'd be cool with it.

In basketball, the smallest kids play PG and the tallest kids play center.
    If you're coaching basketball and the shortest kid wants to play center, what are you gonna tell him? Would really love to hear your answer.

Some positions are better suited for particular sizes.
    That doesn't mean that a small kid would make a horrible center, but it would certainly put the team at a disadvantage on the whole. I guarantee at AAU basketball they ain't putting the short kid at center. At YMCA rec, sure have at it.

You said just let them play, no biggie. But when they are teens and want to switch to the field and are now behind their peers in footwork... I'll let you tell them they aren't making the MLS Next team. It's only getting more and more competitive.

22. CaliforniaSoccerDad

Mar 29, 2022
    California
    I get the premise of what you're saying but SO FEW ever make it to college and pros that even trying to give kids "an edge" by placing them into right positions (kids with tall genes at goalie) isn't going to help much because there are so many other factors at play.

In the end the kids who make it are 1) blessed genetically, 2) mentally tough and driven, 3) with high work ethic.

If you're trying to give each kid the best chance to make it to pros, I think there are ways to pre-select kids - mainly looking at their parents and looking at their physical traits (height, build, etc) but 99.99% never make it to pros so looking at a kid who is very good at whatever position (be it center back or goalie) he's playing and telling him "hey kid, you're never going to make it as center back cause both of your parents are below average height" seems a little harsh.

23. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Teens aren't getting depressed because they chose the wrong position. They're getting depressed because someone was blowing smoke about how good they were or they didn't put in enough work (whether in training or in looking for a school with an opening).

Again, make up your mind. Originally, you proposed looking at family members and trying to predict what was going to happen size wise to determine who plays a certain position. All of the examples you just gave have nothing to do with how tall someone WILL be, but whether they're big/tall enough CURRENTLY.

Here's what it sounds like to me... your son's team has "small" goalie. They've let in more goals than you think a "tall" goalie would (let's leave out the fact the attacker has had to get through 10 field players before taking a shot). In order to "solve" this "problem", you propose "only use tall kids for GK."

I have a really hard time believe older teenagers are getting "depressed" because they didn't make a college soccer team (YOUR definition of "success"), much less MLS Next/professional. Are they disappointed? I'm sure. Do they really look back on their choice years ago to specialize at GK and think "only if I would have been a field player"? Doubtful.

You want to "help" these smaller GK? Encourage them to work on their footskills. A GK who's comfortable with the ball on their feet would be a big asset to any team.

24. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    If only there were a soccer like sport with 10x6.5 goals that could be played year round well into adulthood on a basketball court sized field that doesn't require endurance running......

Fuegofan, saltysoccer and sam_gordon repped this.
  25. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    For each sport, some positions favor tall people, some favor short people. Some, doesn't matter. This doesn't have to be complicated. Just look at the information.
    Let the information guide you. Then we can all sing kumbayah together :inlove: