ONLY Futbol ... NO Rugbish, Cricket, Darts ...

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by futbol571, Nov 20, 2003.

1. futbol571

futbol571 New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Stop with all these crappy other 2nd rate sports. There are more than enough good futbol stories to go around. MORE FUTBOL, even if it's USL, MISL, South African league ... MORE FUTBOL!!!

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Go watch GOL TV then..........

3. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    It's FOX Sports World, not FOX Soccer World. I say, give us more. I want European hockey and basketball, Japanese baseball, CFL, squash, you name it.

4. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    speaking of cfl who has the U.S broadcast rights to the cfl after fsw didnt pick them up again??
    -howie

5. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    You're 100% right.

6. da_cfo

da_cfo New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    San Francisco CA
    "This is FOX Sports World, NOT 'FOX Sports Soccer'" - as explained to me by a former FOX Sports Int'l executive in December 1997.

If anything, FOX Sports World is currently carrying too many unprofitable soccer products that have absolutely NO chance of generating any advertising revenue for the next 10 years.

The "losers" include French, Dutch, and German leagues.

NewsCorp uses FOX Sports World as a "tax-management" vehicle when it airs Rugby (Super 12 and Australian Rugby League), Darts (Las Vegas Classic), Curling (M&M Skins Game), Aussie Rules Football, etc.

The only soccer FOX Sports World needs to buy is English Premier League, and to a lesser extent, MLS. Everything else is a waste of money.

A-League and MISL pays FOX Sports World a fee of around $15000-$20000 per game for air time, so that's another source of revenue.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Another "soccer fan" advocating less soccer on TV. Brilliant. The usual lament: "It doesn't make any money." So, let's never show it and that way we can be assured it will NEVER build an audience and make money. TOTALLY BRILLIANT IDEA!

Listen, soccer is their bread-and-butter. It's the only reason anybody watches it. And that "former FOX Sports Int'l executive" had better never forget it.

8. Warren Van Orden

Feb 29, 2000
    Richmond CA
    Hi Oliver

Since we aren't all cfo's , perhaps you can explain in layman terms what exactly you mean when you say <<"tax-management" vehicle>>

9. Cantona

Cantona Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Texas/Luton/Manc
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    its not rocket science to know that FSW exists solely due to the English Premier League... mostly catering to the expat community who are willing to pay to watch their beloved footie... add a couple of fringe leagues and mls for the "home" crowd and you have a channel surviving... FSW....

So dont knock rugby, cricket, darts (a favorite) when FSW shows them... because without the draw of the paying expat crowd... you would not have FSW.....

so your welcome :)

Cantona----------

10. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They can only replay the same ManUre match so many times...besides, YES will be showing it a few times too. Personally, I enjoy their Rugger and Aussie Rules coverage. The rest of the stuff they carry are in the middle of the night or when I'm at the office so I could care less.

11. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    You'd be surprised how long Dutch and German soccer have aired in this country (pushing a decade now for Dutch, even more for German). There are not enough expatriates living here to justify Dutch and German companies supporting the broadcasts. Which is partly why Champions League doesn't generate revenue (live start times that don't work for most people, the fact that Latinos tend to watch more soccer than anybody else in this country, and the general lack of interest from the public also being factors).

FSW survives because there are enough Brits and American Liverpool and Man U fans that Carlsberg, Nike, British Airways, Guinness, and World Soccer Shop get value out of advertising on it. Note that FSW needs to sell two PPV games a week to make the cost of airing EPL work.

MLS is a home product with favorable start times and almost exclusively Americans playing, and so will naturally sell itself better than any other soccer product. For some sponsors, there is also a tie-in to the National Team.

IMO, an all soccer channel will NOT survive in this country until the Men win the World Cup. That's still probably 2-3 World Cups away so...

If NewsCorp didn't hate them, I'd actually say the NHL would be a good fit for FSW (USA ONLY of course). Obviously FOX and FX would have to want the rights enough to pay up to $125 million a year.

12. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Re: Re: ONLY Futbol ... NO Rugbish, Cricket, Darts ...

Wow, that should qualify as the "overstatement of the year". So USA will win the World Cup in 2014 (2 WCs away) or in 2018 (3 WCs away)? So, how many WCs away will a country like Holland, Sweden or Turkey first taste their WC triumph?

If FSW is interested, there is enough international hockey running around to make FSW an international hockey channel. I sort of remember FSW showing some international tournaments before. Was it the World Junior or something? I've also seen Swedish Elite liga on American TV, probably the International Channel, the one that shows Serie A Sunday afternoon.

However, with even the NHL getting dismal ratings in the U.S., international hockey would probably draw worse than the French league...

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hate to tell you guys this, but in the small town where I live (pop. 16,000) there are only a handful of adults I know who watch soccer, and over 60 who play and watch rugby. Guess why they get FSW? It's a good idea for FSW to be diverse in what they offer, you know. There's a reason why the network's name is Fox Sports World and not For Soccer Weenies.

It's not like you're able to watch every single match they show. And if you can, I can guarantee you won't be able to when you're parents make you move out of the basement.

14. JimmieLivealot

JimmieLivealot New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Oh man Japanese baseball and Euro basketball would rule the school. It'd make my sports nerd-dom complete.

15. stockmanjr

stockmanjr Member

Jun 22, 2003
    NYC
    NBA tv showed the finals and i think maybe semi finals of the euroleague last year
    -howie

16. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Japanese baseball would be way cool. Also the Asian equivalent of basketball champions league would rock.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    What is this baloney about Japanese baseball? They should be showing the J-League! I'd love to watch those Japanese kids tearing up the turf.

Let them take Fox Sports Waste off the air. I couldn't care less if some Rugby-loving backsides from Appalachia are left high and dry. As long as they leave Fox Sports en Espanol alone. Outside of some baseball and motor races, it's got futbol, futbol, futbol almost all the time.

Viva Fox Sports en Espanol!

18. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    More Latinos watch soccer in this country than any other group by a country mile. Advertisers know they can reach Latinos through soccer. Which is why MLS believes they are what will make the league financially viable.

Why else would NETWORKS like Univision and Telemundo want La Liga Mexicana, the Mexican National Team, and FIFA championships, and pay over $100 MILLION in total to televise them?

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    America One has the main contract. They didn't broadcast as much as before.

Hard for me to get FSWC since I would have to pay an arm and a leg just to get it.

20. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    CFL also aired on a startup cable channel called
    The football network, which primarily airs lower
    division college gridiron

21. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I've seen them broadcast on our FOX affiliate.

22. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Just one person, but a neighbor of mine was complaining to me about not being able to watch Rugby World Cup matches, so I informed her of FSW's coverage and she added the channel that day. FSW is smart to diversify. Hey, I hate the fact that for the last month every weeknight is dominated by rugby coverage, but it's only one month every four years. I think any of us footies can handle that for the privelege of seeing world class soccer on a regular basis. And we are still getting PLENTY of soccer on the weekends, even with the RWC. People will invent stuff to bitch about, I swear.

23. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    If you have time to watch every single soccer broadcast Fox Sports World shows in a given week, THEN maybe you'd have something to complain about. (Of course, I'd question your time-management skills.)

I'd like to see more highlight shows, but those are more difficult/costly to produce.

I could do without "Moto Plus" and shows like that, but that's nit-picky.

Frankly, I can't wait to watch curling, and I was amazed how entertaining darts can be.

24. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    MORE other sports, less reruns of soccer games I've already seen.
    This past month with the RWC was the best month of FSW since I've been watching.
    Bring on the Japanese baseball!

25. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

riverplate, how is it that you think you can pretend to be of the world and at the same time be so close-minded and ignorant of the rest of the sports world?