O'Neill, O'Neill, born is the King of White Hart Lane

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by Californiaspurs, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Californiaspurs

Californiaspurs New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Are you down with Martin?

or...........

'arry.

Surely he won't leave Pompey to commit hare kare at the Lane? But we all know his laddish ego can't resist a bash at Tottenham.

'arry: "Yeah Tottenham, know wot I mean. Yeah, big norf London club could use a bit of me savvy, know wot I mean, nudge nudge wink wink. Yeah, mate, I mean, if their boys get on the 'orn and make it werf me while, 'oo knows, know wot I mean? Brahn envelope, mate, nudge nudge wink wink, we can sort sumfink, know wot I mean. O allo Teddy, wanna come wiv? Essex boys, la la la."

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    I could live with either, but Martin will not be long at Tottenham, regardless of his success. If he's a smashing hit, he'll be at a bigger club, if he's not he'll be axed.

I love to see Bruce Arena or Guus Hiddink take over. I think either of those guys could take the talent we currently have and succeed. Neither would be easy to get though.

-Digital

3. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Essex boys, la la la

What a great thing to read after a day of school, thanks for that Cali.

I would also like to see Guus at the Lane. But PSV would more likely give us Van Bommel then him, so I think its a no go.

4. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Harry Redknapp is Arsenal. I know he played for Westahhhhm, but he's a dirty gooner at heart, and has said so in a recent interview.

O'Neil or Hiddink for me. Ginola throwing his hat in the ring is just laughable.

5. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Hiddink is being lined up as PSV chairman for next season!

6. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Here's Sky Sports saying O'Neill says no... although if you read it, he doesn't. At all.

Just him saying he's happy at Celtic, and is there until the chairman says otherwise. Doesn't say he has categorically said no to Spurs at all.

7. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

The press always does this. I read O'Neil's quotes on teletext and noted he said nothing like 'no' anywhere.

The press did it to Ziege too on wednesday with the headline 'Bungling Hodd Had To Go'. When you read what Ziege actually said the word 'bungling' was nowhere to be found.

Richards, Redknapp, and Ziege actually went on record to say they never had a problem with Hodd's methods and that he always promoted a positive vibe throughout the team. The media have had their knives out for a while with Hodd, and although his record was a bit poo (11 losses in the last 16 Premiership games), I feel that if the media hadn't jumped on him so quickly, he'd still be at WHL trying to sort it out.

Thank God for the media.....................

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Heh, yep I just read the exact same thing about Curbishley - I believe the headline was "Curbishley curbs Spurs talk", yet when you actually look at his quotes he said that he was flattered and that no definite approach had been made yet so he couldn't say anything at this time. Hardly a refusal.

Apparently the board had a 3 man shortlist. Going by popular speculation you'd think that might have been O'Neill, McLeish and Curbishley. So Curbs is the most likely if we can agree compensation. Antic was probably added to this list as the emergency reserve.

9. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    I will be one of them soon, Uni course in Sports Journalism starting next weekend. Means i will be absent from here a lot...

Anyway, he is unlikely, i would think, to take the role at Spurs. If he did, it'd be for a year or 2 until the Man U job comes up and then that's us back to square one again!

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I would argue that Martin is already at a bigger club, Celtic. The same with McLeish.

I don't know who Spurs really think they'll get. Has the board said how much money the new manager will have for transfers? They just let Hoddle spend a crapload on some young, unproven in the EPL strikers. Well, Kanoute is but the others aren't. Why walk itno a situation where you're expected to turn around a squad that's not going to have any new blood injected?

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They're big clubs, but both are financially limited, lagely because they're in such a weak league. Celtic have given O'Neill nothing to spend despite being in the Champions Leage, while Rangers are 60 million pounds in debt. Celtic and Rangers will realistically never be able to challenge strongly for the Champions League as things stand, and are never threatened in the league.

Because the squad is a strong one which is plainly underachieving. The only void that needs to be filled urgently is defensive midfield, apart from that the rest just needs to be motivated and gradually strengthened.

Here's the Sunday Mirror, with some surprisingly positive things to say:

http://www.sundaymirror.co.uk/sport...500-000-deal-for-O-Neill-Spurs-name_page.html

I'd prefer Curbs to Souness, and certainly he would be much easier to get. But O'Neill is of course the top target, the fact that his family apparently live just outside London and he wants to move closer to them makes this compelling, and could keep him with us for a good time.

12. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tottenham managers

1974...... Bill Nicholson retires
    1974-76...... Terry Neill
    1976-84...... Keith Burkinshaw
    1984-86...... Peter Shreeves
    1986-87...... David Pleat
    1987-91...... Terry Venables
    1991-92...... Peter Shreeves
    1992-93...... Doug Livermore
    1993-94...... Ossie Ardiles
    1994-97...... Gerry Francis
    1997-98...... Christian Gross
    1998...... David Pleat
    1998-2001...... George Graham
    2001...... David Pleat
    2001-03...... Glenn Hoddle
    2003...... David Pleat

So this is the 4th time David Pleat has been in charge either permanently or temporarily (!) Must be bordering on a record.

13. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    Didn't Toppmoeller say he was interested in the job? What would you all think about him? I know he washed out at Bayer, but I think he was given rough treatment after all the players were sold off to Bayern etc.

14. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Wow, that Sunday Mirror article is cool :)

Steve Kember has been manager at Palace about 4 or 5 times, temporarily or permanently.

15. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kasey Keller's played for Martin O'Neill before, while at Leicester City-- and wouldn't mind playing for him again, according to the BBC's website.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/t/tottenham_hotspur/3146394.stm

Key comment:

Keller added: "The man's a winner but you know from day one there's only one boss.

"When Martin walks into the dressing room, everyone stands to attention.

"You don't live in a democracy when he is in charge - it's more of a Martocracy.

"You either do it his way or you don't do it at all. He can scare some players but his strength is that the rules are simple on and off the pitch - he makes life easy from that point of view.

"Step out of line or fail to give him 100% and you may not be around long enough to have to worry about it.

16. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

'Everyone stands to attention'? Was the Leicester squad made up of benders?

17. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think O'Neill will definitely hold out for Liverpool. I think Houllier is on his last legs. Losing to A*senal in the next game will be the nail in the coffin, if the Liverpool board have any brains.

18. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Don't mean to put 2 and 2 together and get 5 here... but...

David Pleat. Director at Spurs. ITV Champs Lge coverage. Glasgow. Watching and commentating on Celtic.

Martin O'Neill. Manager of Celtic. Empty Job at Spurs.

Anyone want to fill in the gaps?

19. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Spotted, Danners me ol' son

Shrewd detective work, Dr Watson.

"Neilly is on his way to Tottenham
    Tottenham's gonna do it again
    They can't stop 'em
    The bhoy's for Tottenham
    The bhoy's for White Hart Lane
    Oi!"

By the way, Danners, on another topic, and going back a bit, re my Palace quiz.

You were right there as well, the sponsor was indeed..... TDK

Right, back to do some work for a few more hours, then the EPL Highlights Show at 8pm Pacific down the pub with a pint of black and broon, and then later the Inter match on same day delay.

Roll on the Toffees.

20. Danners9

Danners9 New Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Drunken Clam, Quahog
    Not saying that anything is about to be signed, just that while Pleaty's up there he's probably killing two birds with one stone.. an extra wing on his mansion and some prelim talks, perhaps?

That Palace quiz must have been ages ago! I barely remember doing that!

I'm off to bed, it's 2am!

21. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://www.thisislondon.com/sport/football/articles/6961583

22. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Wow, so it sounds like Souness is pretty close. Perhaps Spurs will get one of its top two choices yet. Encouraging.

-Digital

23. Californiaspurs

Dec 22, 1999
    Santa Clara County
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  24. jumhed

jumhed Member+

Mar 26, 2001
    London
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Just Say No!

Meine Gott! Not Souness! A backwards step in my opinion. He just seems to fall out with his players and has signed some complete tat in his time. Plus he'll probably pay big money for some crappy Turk, or another Amoruso. I'm not sure I could take another wrong move from Spurs. For me its O'Neil, or just leave Pleat in charge. He's done alright so far (touch wood, fingers X'd, etc).