One year to go

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by btharner, Jun 26, 2010.

1. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Certainly the world is all caught up in the happenings in South Africa right now.but I thought I'd pass on a friendly reminder that today is one year until the kickoff of WWC 2011 in Berlin.

2. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yep.
    Here are the groups, with my predictions on who finishes at the top of each group.

Group Stages:

Group A
    Germany (9 points)
    Australia (4 points)

Denmark (4 points)
    Ghana (0 points)

Group B
    Brazil (7 points)
    Norway (5 points)

Nigeria (3 point)
    France (1 points)

Group C
    United States (7 points)
    England (6 points)

North Korea (4 points)
    Argentina (0 points)

Group D
    Sweden (5 points)
    Canada (5 points)

Japan (3 points)
    New Zealand (1 point)

*upset of the group round* - Nigeria beats France 1-0
    *key match of the group round* - Japan ties New Zealand (knocking Japan out, as Japan goes unbeaten, but ties all 3 matches)

Knock-out round
    Quarterfinal 1: Brazil vs. Australia (Brazil wins in extra time: 2-1)
    Quarterfinal 2: Germany vs. Norway (Norway wins in penalty kicks: 3-2)
    Quarterfinal 3: Sweden vs. England (Sweden wins in extra time: 1-0)
    Quarterfinal 4: USA vs. Canada (USA wins: 3-1)

Semifinal 1: Brazil vs. Norway (Norway wins in penalty kicks: 2-1)
    Semifinal 2: USA vs. Sweden (USA wins in shutout slaughter: 4-0)

3rd place match: Brazil vs. Sweden (Brazil wins 6-2, Marta hat trick)

World Cup Final: USA vs. Norway (0-0 going into extra time. USA wins 1-0 in extra time. Norway takes lead 1-0 in extra time, but gets whistled for being offsides. Two minutes later - USA scores in dramatic America fashion)

Best match of group stage: USA vs. North Korea (The Americans fall behind 2-0, and come back to score 2 goals in the final 15 minutes to tie North Korea)

Best match of the knock out round: Norway takes down Germany in penalty kicks: 3-2, greatest Quarterfinal ever played in women's world cup history)

Congrats to USA: 2011 FIFA World Cup Champions.

2011 World Cup sets a women's world cup record for most yellow cards and most red cards in a single women's world cup.
    The 2011 women's world cup demonstrates high TV ratings and strong aggressive physical play throughout the tournament. Controversial calls are made, but the drama has never been better.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Norway claws back twice from 1-0 and 2-1 down against Germany, to take the game into extra time 2-2 in the Quarterfinal, after a dramatic game-tying goal in the 91st minute. Both teams go scoreless in extra time. Norway strikes 4 out of 5 goals in penalty kicks, while Germany only makes 3. Norway wins the Quarterfinal 3-2 on German soil, to put an end to Germany's world cup dynasty on the women's side.

[​IMG]

4. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The USA celebrate after taking a 1-0 lead in extra time against Norway in the World Cup final. Norway throws the kitchen sink against the Americans in the final few minutes, and Hope Solo saves 2 incredible scoring chances, while the Norwegians also hit the crossbar in the final minute of the match. After the match, it is determined that Norway outplayed the Americans in the extra time, but the Americans seemed to be destined and got the goal that counted. The USA women now have 3 World Cup titles and 3 Olympic Gold medal victories, to become the first nation to have a hat trick in each one.

[​IMG]

5. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    What? The US isn't going to play Sweden or Nigeria in the group phase this time, I thought that was tradition:)

I do hope we see some new nations breaking through and qualifying this time. Equatorial Guinea is the defending African champ, can't wait to see if they repeat with a WC berth on the line.

6. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will Bindon still be keeping for NZ? Getting up there in age, but I like her.

7. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    @WPS_Movement: you got the semis wrong. Those are A1/B2 vs C1/D2 and B1/A2 vs D1/C2. Norway vs USA and Brazil vs Sweden in your fantasy.

8. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    No big deal. Just trying to help promote and hype up the Women's World Cup already. The earlier the better, now that the U.S. men choked against Ghana and are waiting for an old and gray Landon Donovan in his 30's to take them to a 1st round knock-out round loss again 4 years from now. Still no progress since 2002. Sorry, but it isn't. Quarterfinals against Germany, outplaying Germany for much of that match in 2002. This team has not progressed since then at all. The only team they beat in this year's World Cup was "Algeria". And it took after 90th minute magic to do it. Mehhhh... Big deal.

So .... Go Ladies in 2011. You represent us well, always.

The U.S. women have made the semifinals (or better) in every major tournament they have ever played in. World Cup, Olympics, you name it.

9. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I will name it. This years womens' u-17 World Cup :cool:

10. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think this group will be possible. From what we know of how FIFA has done the draw for previous competitions, all of the non-seeded UEFA teams (all except Germany and Sweden in this scenario) will be in the same pot.

11. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Member

Jun 6, 2007
    Sweden are in danger of losing their seed status to Japan though. Drawing against the Czechs (world #24) at home will hurt.

12. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    True. But I mean the full women's national team. The real national team. Not one of the youth ones.

13. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden will need to win a playoff against a pretty highly ranked UEFA side to make it to the World Cup. That will be worth some positive ranking points. So it is hard to imagine that they can make it to the World Cup while losing their place in the FIFA ranking.

14. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    If the USA draws any of Nigeria, North Korea, or Sweden in the group stage, I will throw something at my TV. :D

Something tells me that Mexico will qualify over Canada this time around. Just a hunch. Mexico have a good group of young attacking players, and of course Maribel Dominguez. I liked what some of their U-20s brought to the table. Outside of Sinclair, Canada is rather ordinary.

15. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes Sinc is enough by herself!

16. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Just for the record, I see that FIFA's web site now lists the date of the final draw as Monday, November 29th. I don't know when most the qualifying tournaments are, but presumably they will be between now and then.

17. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    Has Maribel Dominguez played for Mexico recently?

18. law10

law10 Member+

Dec 26, 2007
    The Gold Cup draw is the extremely interesting part because one of the three (USA, Canada, Mexico) will get a free World Cup ticket with an easy semi-final while the other two will go head-to-head to see who goes to Germany and who goes to the CONCACAF Bronze medal and then the UEFA5 playoff.

The logic usually is two of the three will be in one of the groups, and whoever comes first in that group gets the weak semi-finalist. So if the two tie their group game it comes down to who thrashes the underlings better.

19. free bet

free bet New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Club:
    Aalborg BK
    the problem with the gold cup is the level of play...

20. marush

marush Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Group Stages:

Group A
    Germany (9 points)
    Australia (4 points)

Denmark (4 points)
    Ghana (0 points)

Group B
    Brazil (7 points)
    Norway (5 points)

Nigeria (3 point)
    France (1 points)

Group C
    United States (7 points)
    England (6 points)

North Korea (4 points)
    Argentina (0 points)

Group D
    Sweden (5 points)
    Canada (5 points)

Japan (3 points)
    New Zealand (1 point)

Knock-out round
    Quarterfinal 1: Brazil vs. Australia 4:0
    Quarterfinal 2: Germany vs. Norway 3:1
    Quarterfinal 3: Sweden vs. England 0:2
    Quarterfinal 4: USA vs. Canada 2:0

Semifinal 1: Brazil vs. Germany 0:1
    Semifinal 2: USA vs. England 5:3 Penalty

3rd place match: Brazil vs. England (4:3)

World Cup Final: USA vs. Germany 1:3

21. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany winning vs USA would be great, but how possible is that? :D
    I think other teams have to eliminate our nightmare opponent. ;)

22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Well, Germany did beat USA 3-0 in the 2003 world cup semi.
    Both teams are better than they were in 2003.
    Germany continues to get better in the world.
    The 2011 USA team is better and faster than an old-aging 2003 USA team.

Here is how the groups will look ............

Group A
    Germany
    Australia
    France
    Ghana

Group B
    Brazil
    Norway
    Japan
    Switzerland (Bachmann leads the Swiss to the UEFA #5 spot, and beats Mexico in the playoff game to get to World Cup)

Group C (Group of Death)
    USA
    Sweden
    North Korea
    Nigeria

Group D (Group of Life - for Canada and England)
    Canada
    England
    Argentina
    New Zealand

23. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    wow.:eek:

24. chinadaiyi

chinadaiyi Member

Sep 11, 2008
    China
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Swenden or Japan ? who will be the last leader???