Review: Once more unto the breach - the 2024 season thread

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Feb 17, 2024.

1. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    And last season I wanted 360 to succeed but after about half way though the season, I was done because of how amateur hour it was. It has somehow gotten worse...

bigredfutbol and Yowza repped this.
  2. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Every new MLS/DC United tv deal since 96 has promised more and better team/league non game product and it never delivers.

TowsonDad, PSURoss, bigredfutbol and 4 others repped this.
  3. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Strange to have a positive feeling about DC United on a Monday.

4. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I dunno, maybe the the AppleTV stuff is meant for a different audience, but its unwatchably poor. Its clear most of the analysts & commentators have no idea who DC United is. Even Lloyd Sam said a couple of stupid things in the first half when I was watching. I like Lloyd, but this sounds like college radio station coverage. At least we're sufficiently horrible that we won't have to endure too many Taylor Twellman games.

5. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I agree. It's just that one of the promises of the Apple deal is that this content would be better and there would be more of it.

Winoman and revelation repped this.
  6. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Sometimes I think my reactions are just generational to the Apple stuff. I see dorks like Wiebe and Klejstan with their semi-fascist haircuts full of product and Klejstan's pet caterpillar under his nose and I just think "******** these wannabe hipsters." But, maybe, that look and analysis works for their target demographic. Of course my gold standard was Madden talking about turducken and slobberknockers and Summeral gently doing play by play in a semi-alcoholic haze. YMMV.

7. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I compare them to the old days where if DC United was on the road you might see game calls and commentary from the other club. The Revs had the broadcast team I disliked the most and I can't really say the Apple stuff is any better.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have yet to watch Apple. I have not seen any match for a year.

fatbastard and TowsonDad repped this.
  9. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    Its not generational for me. Its just flat out poor. Like the league and its talking heads are covering DCU because they have to, like eating your vegetables when you were a kid. Its not lost on me that DCU got about as poor of a date for our Miami game as was possible and 3 of the 6 longest tenured owners in the west got Messi games (LAG/SKC/VAN). Is there a rotation to home/away games vs the other conference? Or should I put money on COL/FCD/SJ getting Messi games next year?

Its like Bogart(?) or whomever this past offseason publishing analysis for the coming DCU season and his justifications for things were just not even remotely valid, like the players were no longer with the team or something crazy like that.

TowsonDad and revelation repped this.
  10. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The interface on my TV is not good. Like if I want 4,947,832 shows about Messi, those are front an center but if I want a half mailed in preview of the weekend's matches or the lazy wrap up, I gotta look for them... I know, it is what "the people" want but for me, it makes me less interested in any of their content. So I am a sucker and bought the package to watch DC but I'm done with anything else...

11. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got it for free last year via T-Mobile, but that did not continue this year. I was planning on following United this season via ESPN Match-tracker, but #2 Winoson bought the Apple TV MLS package for me as an early Father's Day present. They don't have the local audio broadcast option happening yet, though. I want to hear Dave Johnson yell "It's in the net!"

12. Petworth Posse

Feb 24, 2009
    Club:
    DC United
    Let's see how the coverage is impacted after Hopkins, Fletcher, and TDK each score against Miami and Messi is shut out.

Mountainia, Yowza and shawn12011 repped this.
  13. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it looks as though DC United does not play a game on Fox I will not be seeing them in more than highlights.

TowsonDad repped this.
  14. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DC hasn't made the local deal. That's on them.

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  15. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yay! le sigh....

TowsonDad and shawn12011 repped this.
  16. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can bookmark this on your browser:
    https://tv.apple.com/us/room/dc-united/uts.room.umc.cst.34dq6dhwewl6nj1t522ln5n0u

For the TV - just find the DC Badge and go in there.

Winoman repped this.
  17. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Neither 360 not Wrap Up are under the DC badge. Not that I really want to see them again but as I've mentioned, I am an addict, so on the off chance that they spend 30 seconds talking about DC coming back from 2 goals down on a West Coast away trip, I use the forward scan mode to see if they mention the match...

Don't worry, Apple TV has an interface that matches most other streaming services on the TV. Worse than Germany's 1980's Text TV interface. Worse than stabbing your brain repeatedly with an ice pick... I have yet to find one that is less clunky than pre-letter keyboard texting...

18. GumbyG

GumbyG Member+

DC United
    Mar 22, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't watch much extra content, and I don't pay much mind to the commentators. The camera work, resolution and UI are a step above imo. I feel fine paying what I do for the season, even if I only watch a game or two a week and some highlights.

19. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want whatever you're drinking

TowsonDad and Winoman repped this.
  20. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    The production and interface is great IMO. My biggest gripe was that you couldn’t turn off spoiler scores on the Apple OS interface but they fixed that this year.

The talent is the biggest issue. I made it through 15 minutes of the inaugural wraparound show before I learned my lesson. Many of the English language commentary teams are just awful. Thank Gosh for the home audio and Spanish language options.

Alejandro 10, GumbyG and DCU repped this.
  21. Section 107

Section 107 Member+

DCU
    United States
    Jul 18, 2018
    Apple is just the streaming ("broadcast") platform, MLS contracts out the production. Actual game production and direction is fine but pales in comparison to Liga MX or Sky and almost all of the european league productions. It has been a gear grinder for me for decades. In the US, an assignment to produce/work an MLS game is considered quite a bit lower than World's Strongest Man, pet agility and curling events.

Winoman and GumbyG repped this.
  22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The problem Apple solves is that we had a few teams with good production, most with middling at best production and some with absolutely dogshit production before the takeover. Some games were poorly color graded, some stuttered, and on. Each team could waver from bad to good or good to bad quality year to year depending on circumstances. Now we have a standard which is above the median from before they took over and we can expected it to improve over time.

I open the app, quickly scroll to MLS, start the match in one of 4 different modes and it just works, and looks nice. Is the broadcasting booth ideal? It never is. We have a soft spot for Dave Johnson but we also don't talk about how for a long time he was considered one of the most annoying broadcasters in the league (according to Reddit at least) and people hated his in the net catchphrase. It is what it is. All I need for now is that it works and it's clear and doesn't stutter. If I am especially bothered by broadcasters I just go Spanish, because they are usually good.

23. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Shammy is correct (gulp).

24. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

Even a blind squirrel........:D

Q*bert Jones III and Winoman repped this.
  25. PSURoss

PSURoss Member+

Sep 30, 2002
    DC Burbs
    I can 100% get the Dave Johnson hate around the league. He's ours, we'll always love him, but he's got a way all his own, its in your face and if its coming at you from a rival, its not hard to understand why.

I don't even care about the "extra" content. What I need from this platform is remotely competent match commentary. I liked Lloyd Sam when he was here and I met him at day to unite, but he just doesn't sound like he's seen DC United play before, watched or remembered any prior games he's seen and the other guy is middling at best. I don't know if its on MLS/Apple to provide these guys the prep necessary to cover the games or if they're just unfettered feces in booth. Neither is an ok way cover games. At this point, just point two separate AIs that have been trained on the their roles and the league, they'd have to be better.