Once In A Generation/Thousand Years - The Iker "EL CAPITAN" Casillas Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by blanc, May 9, 2011.

1. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    ^^This isn't a serious post. .

When posters began to twist reality just to avoid "blemishing" their heroes it has gone way to far, shouldn't be taken seriously and should be considered comedy.

2. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    Blablabla nothing like hot air. The usual from you.

3. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    Coming from the guy who is trying to blame other players for Casillas mistake in the CL final, I find that rich. To be honest, I think maybe once you posted something that actually made sense.... I just never have cared to interject and correct you (especially when others posters will/do).

Anyways, carry on. I should have avoided you like prior times, the minute I saw the first ignorant post.

4. LastBoyscout

LastBoyscout Member+

Mar 6, 2013
    If you can't get the difference of "other players mistakes contributed to that goal being scored" and "Casillas is blameless!" than talking to you about football seems pointless indeed.

Why don't you tell another story from back in the day when you scored like 4 touchdowns in a single game or something instead.

5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I feel bad for De Gea joining this club with the expectation of being as good as Iker has been at his peak, when he hasn't been that good a single day in his life.

fierro repped this.
  6. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Come on now. He is only 24 and has been great for two seasons, easily top five in the world during that time.

7. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've seen him make some pretty huge mistakes as well though, easily within the worst that Iker has to offer now.

I think he's quite overrated. Good goalkeeper, but Neuer and even Courtois are clearly better.

8. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    All keepers make mistakes. De Gea offsets his though by having stupendous performances on the regular. Iker's ones could have cost us titles.

And the biggest difference is this - De Gea has been removing mistakes from his game over the past two years. Iker has been increasing them, if anything. That's natural given their career curve, but De Gea is easily the better keeper right now and it isn't even a contest.

He won't have the same status with us as Iker given Iker's longevity and sustained performance for around a decade, but in terms of brilliance over a short period of time he can match him.

9. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    All i'm saying is, De Gea has some huge shoes to fill. A couple silly mistakes and the shadow of Iker will be ll over him.

10. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
    I also think he is overrated.

He was struggling to start not too long ago.

The reason he is getting this hype is because he is Spanish and plays for the national team.

11. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    #2361 Umar, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Courtois is on the same level IMO. He is a more dominating keeper on his line and in the air, but De Gea has better reflexes and his distribution is much better.

Neuer is the best by a long way, but he is on his way to being an all time great keeper and he would be up there in pretty much any era.

None of this takes away from Iker's performances at his peak. Him and Buffon were the best of the past decade and a bit.

De Gea had some huge shoes to fill, but not any more. If he came a couple of years ago sure, he would have huge pressure. But I think most people can see that even Iker himself couldn't fill the shoes of the old Iker, so I don't see why they would rag on De Gea for it.

The only way he is under pressure is if we fork out a huge fee for him in the last year of contract. Then the money factor puts him in a goldfish bowl, as it gives the press an easy stick to beat him with. That's why I don't mind if we wait and get him on a free next year.

12. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    We'll see. I think whoever joins this club will have to listen to a lot of "is it Iker's fault now?" whenever he makes a mistake in goal.

13. Aimar 21

Aimar 21 Member+

Jan 27, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That will be even worse if Iker is still on the bench (this isn't directed at you but for those who believe Iker should have stayed).

Anyway this isn't big deal anymore, as Umar said Casillas hasn't even been at his best for a couple of years so DDG probably won't find that shoes too big to fill. :D

14. HankyPanky

HankyPanky Red Card

Aug 28, 2014
  15. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    What a sad face!!!

16. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    To be honest, last season Courtois made quite some shocking costly mistakes. More than DDG at least. I think that Courtois and DDG are on the same level to be honest. Both fantastic young GKs with the chance to dominate for the next 10 years. We can't get Courtois, but DDG is available so it has be him.

I've seen a couple of matches of Leno, he's amazing. Don't think he's an option for us though as we haven't heard anything of note linking us to him.

I will say this though. There isn't a single GK on this planet that can match the incredible '00s Iker. His heights were just too good to be true. So, we should settle for a world class GK for the next decade and be happy about it!

17. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Just dropping by to say I'm disgusted with how Flo has treated a club and national legend.

I wish you all the best San Iker

Gbonyx23 repped this.
  18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The entire country was calling him a son of a goat ever since the world cup, but it's Perez who was disrespectful while everybody treated Iker with respect apparently.

19. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    The whole country can think what they want. I think that someone who has been at the club as long as Iker had been deserved a better sendoff.

Gbonyx23 repped this.
  20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He got the "sendoff" he earned himself. I compared it to Lothar Matthäus a while ago, that one also was a legend but retired poorly because of similar reasons.

21. YOUNGSTARS87

Dec 21, 2005
    How did Flo treat him?

22. ardee

ardee Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Neuer isn't THAT much better than the others. De Gea and Courtois are pretty close, heck I think even Cech is going to prove he's still got it next year.

Although if you asked me to pick someone for just one game, I'd pick Buffon.

23. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You can't expect the guy to be smiling all the time and those pics are from double training sessions I doubt anyone would be smiling

And how is Porto crap? The do very well in Europe and the league.

24. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is exactly where I see the problems being, the comparison, Iker being here or not, that's been my thought all along.

25. RONALDO_07

RONALDO_07 New Member

Jul 17, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hey guys, check out my channel. I create football videos of the greatest players (mostly Real Madrid players) and would really appreciate it if you checked out my channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpqeo-qDcRBgi2-9uspp6RQ

Heres a video with some of Iker Casillas' greatest saves: