On the barnstorming idea

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Airblair, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The SI article mentioned that the Quakes won't have a permanent, temporary site until their SSS is built, but instead will play in a number of different locations:

So there's a couple of things to discuss: Where could they play? And is this a slick idea?

Second item first: I think it actually is a smart idea, provided they mostly limit it to the Bay Area, and that they offer TV for every home game. Playing in Davis is not likely to drastically increase the number of ticket buyers for the SSS, but playing in San Francisco, the Peninsula, Oakland, and the east bay will.

Putting games in smaller venues, i.e. Kezar, would make sellouts easier to come by. Nearby fans will be tempted to check out the team and it won't be too far for South Bay fans to go. If games sell out, then putting them on TV makes more sense. Both tactics will serve to increase interest in the team throughout the Bay Area.

Plus, the team could offer season ticket packages for all the games at a certain venue. For instance, putting four games at Kezar would make season ticket packages very affordable. Buyers could have the option to purchase tickets to the bigger games that would be held at a place like Stanford Stadium or A T & T Park.

The other question: where to play? Has a stadium hosted professional sports in the recent past? Will it work for soccer? How does its location help with marketing the team? Could a game easily be televised from there? Some ideas:

Kezar Stadium

Bay Meadows Racetrack; you'd need temporary stands, but the grass will be well-fertilized

Buck Shaw Stadium

Edwards Stadium, at Cal

PAL Stadium

Stanford Stadium

A T & T Park, for games after October, when it will sit empty and unused :D

Thoughts on these places? Any others?

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope that it was just misinformation obtained by the article's author and that the San Jose Earthquakes sticks with no more than two interim venues until The [Corporate name] Epicenter at San José is ready for use by 2010. :(

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

3. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see the Quakes strike a deal with Santa Clara U where they would pay a similar amount that SJSU used to charge -- and Santa Clara would put that money into Buck Shaw improvements. Don't know if it's workable... but it sure would be fun to see the Quakes play in a small but first-class stadium.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Kezar happening since the Vics play there. And Bay Meadows is out automatically since after this fall it won't exist anymore.

5. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    BOO.

Barnstorming is a terrible idea unless the team is incredible and a ton of money will be poured into promotion.

6. VanZeppelin1984

VanZeppelin1984 New Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Bay Area
    Does anyone know what Bay Meadows will become after it is torn down, because that seems like it could be an area where a stadium could be built.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's slated to become what all open land in the Bay Area becomes... a housing development.

But it would have made a nice stadium site with access to 3 freeways and the east bay via the San Mateo Bridge.

8. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's just conjecture. We don't know yet. I'm sure Lew Wolff isn't an advocate of the barnstorming idea.

9. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    -PAL could work with some decent temporary stands. Anyone who thought Spartan was in the ghetto will shit their pants, though.
    -Kezar is nice and there are fans up there, but I don't know how the coexistence with the Vics will stand.
    -Stanford Stadium is the obvious choice for big games.
    -AT&T would be awkward and expensive.
    -That stadium at Cal looks like a Serie C Brazilian facility.
    -Bay Meadows...what?
    -Buck Shaw would be like PAL but in a nicer area (not to me but other people).
    -UCDavis has a nice facility but it's way the hell up there and I think they play on plastic which is stupid with that heat. The only plus is that I'd get to use the stadium which took forever to get built and I never once saw as a student there for four years.

I guess Stanford and Buck Shaw are the obvious choices, but that's not a very big footprint. It'd be nice to share the wealth a bit more. Also, neither of those are actually in SJ, which may be a little odd considering they'll be jumping around.

10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't Alioto say as much. He said 2-3 venues. I think this barnstorming comment in SI was taken out of context or blow out of proportion.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, but both have great transit access and Buck Shaw is a good kick from the new stadium site at FMC. Makes it an obvious choice.

12. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From a marketing perspective, I think it is a terrible idea. The diehard fans (us) will go for it, but no one else will buy season tickets. Feels disorganized, minor league, confusing. Think of the logistical aspects of having 5 different seat assignments.

I'd rather hang out at a small stadium and see people turned away (as long as I'm not one of them). Or pay more per ticket for a consistent venue. This is just a bad idea, and I hope it's wild speculation rather than a plan, and if it's a plan, I want to see plan B.

13. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why this will never happen. Not to worry, Alioto has said it won't be more than 3 venues. So the moving around will be limited.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you will probably shit your pants because the place only has one bathroom.

PAL will never work. There is only one way in and out of there and parking is limited.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that none of the smaller venues will be considered because of inadequate parking and facilities.

There could be a game at Kezar, but, I doubt it. Look for a combination of Stanford, Oakland Colisseum (or whatever they call the place) and maybe a game or two in Davis.

It is unfortunate that Spartan is out of the picture, since it really was the most logical (and best) temporary venue.

16. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I'd like to not drive 120 miles to see a game, so I'm all for games at UC Davis. Otherwise, it's all the same to me.

Isn't it great to actually worry about where games are instead of whether we're getting a team? :)

17. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but Spartan also has some bad vibes associated with it. Both from SJSU turning us down earlier this year, and the fact it has lost not one but two versions of the SJE.

18. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can see Stanfurd and Kezar working well. The Vics have to travel, so there will be some open dates at Kezar, especially if the Vics fold. (I really, really hope not!! Live on Victory!!!)

I could also see the Quakes play at one of the high schools in San Jose. Where does San Jose High play? Independence High in East San Jose has a 10k seat stadium. But it's a football stadium. I don't know how highly crowned it is. I think there's a track around it too, so that might not be good. Unless they expand the field onto the track for four or five games.

PAL sounds good too. I know it's small, but if they could bring in some bleachers why not?

Still, I hope that we are talking about three or four games at Kezar, three or four at PAL or elsewhere in San Jose (what about the soccer facility in Morgan Hill?), and the majority of matches at Stanfurd.

GO QUAKES!!!!!!!!
    GO UC SANTA CRUZ!!!!!!

- Mark

19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad vibes? I'll take bad vibes over all the real problems that will be encountered at some of the other venues that have been suggested.

And remember, Spartan was a difficult place for opponents to play in.

But, I guess it is all a moot point now.

20. Airblair

Airblair Member

Dec 8, 1999
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Stanford and Oakland, what do you do during football season?

21. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If more than about 2000 people showed up at PAL, the parking lot would be full, and it's only accessible from one direction via a 2-lane residential street in what is not San Jose's most attractive neighborhood.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True it is moot. But also remember any advantage we may have had left with our old team. The new guys would be at just as big a disadvantage as the visitors.

23. JLoeza

JLoeza Guest

UC Davis would be a great option to host some games. Since my girlfriend goes to school there and use to live down the street from the stadium in the dorms, I have seen it and it looks great. It will open this coming fall and many people are excited. There will be less people from the Bay Area there, but fans from Davis and the Sacramento area will surely attend in huge numbers. Besides, the Earthquakes want to be the team of Northern California. What better way to promote and give other fans an opportunity to see them in their own area than this?

24. darkstar10990

darkstar10990 Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in order of priority

1. Spartan Stadium (they can play a couple games there, why not. easy money for SJSU and wont be too much of a heckle for them. That and the fact that it was their old home and it would be cool to see the stadium painted blue again.)
    2. McAfee Coliseum (Home of the Oakland A's, Lew Wolff's team. Also, seating arrangements and parking will be both plentiful and convenient, as well as location since its not too far from San Jose and still surrounded by mass population. Ticket sales would be a hit there.)
    3. Stanford Stadium (you guys saw the Chelsea/Club America Game. THAT PLACE WAS PACKED. Now get the quakes on the field against a team like the Galaxy or Dynamo and that place will be rocking as well.)

but other than that, the only other place that would make logical sense is AT&T Park. The rest of the options are just bogus due to location, seating, and parking abilities.

25. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When I attended UDC, Santa Clara was the best-represented California county at the school. Maybe that's worth something.