Omaha USL?

Discussion in 'USL Expansion' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    It seemed to me that most of the players were current college players. But they did have some college alums on the roster. (the Des Moines Wanderers had Fred Frimpong, who was a great player for UNOmaha- his last season was 2017. It seemed so wrong that he was playing against the Omaha team, but he is originally from Ankeny). As an aside, there is a lot to like about the Bugeaters. I hope they can find a niche when the USL1 team comes to town.

2. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I just saw this about USL-Omaha:

(Team owner Gary) Green said the official club crest is set to be unveiled in early this fall, with the club having collaborated with a well-known designer in the soccer sphere to create its brand. “We’re working with Matthew Wolff, who did the LAFC brand and the Nigeria National Team brand, and we’re very excited about that,” said Green. “He’s very creative and has a great track record and we’re looking forward to presenting that.”

I'm impressed that he is opening the checkbook to go 1st class on the design. It should be out in a few weeks (it is early fall). Here is his website: https://matthewwolff.com/. It looks like he also helped design the NYCFC logo.

3. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    USL1-Omaha name and crest reveal set for Thurs. Oct 3, 6:30pm.

Let's see: Omaha FC is already taken. Omaha City FC is (or was) taken.
    How about "SC Omaha" ?? (sounds like a company that installs alarm systems).

Today you have to tread lightly around the minefield of political correctness and cultural appropriation. Many universities have been selecting birds as their mascots because birds are safe (ex. the Univ of North Dakota). Bald Eagles have been making a comeback around the Missouri River. You could cross market as "Las Aguilas" to the Hispanic market. You could have tie-ins to the Air Force Base around July 4th. The "Omaha Eagles" it is. Fly Eagles, Fly!

But...it will probably be SC Omaha.

oops. I just noticed that there is a "Omaha United SC" team. Apparently there is (or was) a "Omaha United FC".

I think the USL team will just call themselves "Omaha United" and give the youth teams some jerseys and tickets in exchange for the name.

4. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    USL1-Omaha crest reveal today: welcome "Union Omaha".
    And its mascot is...a bird.
    (It's like they read my last post- or these things have become so predictable.)
    https://www.omahaprosoccer.com/thecrest
    [​IMG]

5. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
  6. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Hmmm.... apparently owls and soccer nets can be problematic:
    from a Omaha high school-

[​IMG]

from an Omaha park (2 owls - is that a brace?)

[​IMG]

7. Lewis N. Clark

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    diagram for seating at Werner Park: runs along 1st base line, people will be closer to the action. That's a good layout (but I think the sun will be in people's eyes).

[​IMG]