Olympic Soccer [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Psycho_Derek, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. They're not competing as US Soccer, but rather the US Olympic Team.

2. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Top 5 for me. Amazing.

Anyone know when the women's gold medal game is? I'm having a frustrating time navigating NBC's website.

3. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Thursday at 2:45

NUFCBayern repped this.
  4. NUFCBayern

NUFCBayern Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 9, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Thought so. Thanks.

5. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is when you maybe find out how good your "backups" are. I meant, Mitts was on the bench, for one. That was a war out there. Depth could make the difference here. Maybe you bring Abby off the bench, for example. Yeah, I know that's heresey, but this team *has* to be exhausted.

6. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got done watching. Between forgetting to extend my DVR recording, finding the highlight online -- holy bleeping bleep. What an incredible match.

Not very often you see a hat trick in a losing performance. Or a six-second violation actually getting called, leading to a penalty kick.

Wow. What the hell is it with the USWNT with these breathtaking matches?

7. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Officiating for the game was so abysmal it ain't funny. Canada can cry all they want, but US got mugged in the box numerous times and no calls. So with that said, it evened everything out and the better team won.

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They must all be TFC fans. They deserved butter.

9. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tchani was making some of the same kind of tweets during the game, too.

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Maybe? Maybe you're crazy. I don't care how exhausted she is - she's one of the top three players in the world. She'll start and play the entire game. Leaving it all out on the field...

11. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking that this team may be forced into more of a "rope-a-dope" mode where having her come in at the half might be decisive--and remembering what Cunningham used to do as a sub to tired legs. We played the status quo last time against Japan--and lost. I fear that same old/same old will have the same result.

12. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care if you are a soccer fan or not you have to love the USWN team. They never give up and always think they can win. They are class at every position and can rely on every person coming off the bench. What more do you want?

13. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Tighter shorts.

BeMassiveSoccer and NUFCBayern repped this.
  14. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really exciting to watch (I was streaming at work and stayed and hour late so I wouldn't miss anything).

But lets be honest, it terms of actual soccer played, that was horrendous (yes guts and heart can be fun to watch too). If the US perform like that against Japan, we will be crushed. I really hope they don't spend any time today patting themselves on the back. They have to get to work now. A complete lack of fundamentals and basic soccer knowledge was on display (never leave the inside post on a corner until your goalie calls you off, never turn your back or spin around when defending, close down the space in your final third, boot and run offense, etc...). USA should have won that game 6-1, terrible technical play.

Rapinoe was the only player out there at displayed consistent skill. She carried that team last night. I want these girls to win gold, and if they play like that against a very organize Japan team, they will get killed.

15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hardly ever watch the US women's team but every game I watch either Hope Solo never has to make a save or she gets beat a lot.... Is there a reason that you always here about her being a big part of this team? Maybe I've just missed her good games but I don't see her as an outstanding keeper.

16. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bench Guillermo! He'll be more fresh for the second leg!

BeMassiveSoccer repped this.
  17. ThreeC

ThreeC Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Cowbellumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would.

18. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should see what every other woman's keeper in the world looks like. Solo, for her faults, is MILES better.

HardHatMike and Psycho_Derek repped this.
  19. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different situation though. This *is* tghe "second leg" and she already played 120 in the first one. But my point is that the same old tactics probably won't work vs Japan. They didn't the last time.

20. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    Exactly. The gap is closing between men and women in the outfield, but between the sticks the difference in class is still far apart. Get a half decent shot stopper and you have a very good goal keeper.

21. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not so sure that's accurate. The USWNT WAS the better team in that match. Overwhelmingly so for large parts of it. They didn't take (enough) advantage of their chances, and allowed themselves to get sucker-punched before crapping the bed in PK's.

So to say it didn't work last time -- it's arguable.

Now this time may be different. We just played 120 minutes on Monday and the final's Thursday. I'm not enough of an expert on the USWNT to suggest lineup changes, but some fresher legs might help; I'll let someone else decide who those fresher legs should be. But I don't think a blanket statement based solely on the result last year is seeing the whole picture.

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given that I mentioned the 120 min as well, I don't think I'm basing my point solely on last years result. Let's add to that that this team, while having a fighter's heart, has been a bit inconsistent in this tournament, and I'm saying that some changes might just make sense here--ones we normally might not consider and ones that 120 minutes might make neccessary, especially as the Canada game was a physical battlefield. In any case, it makes for a lively discussion.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mia was THE female soccer player that my generation looked up to in awe.. I am so glad that the current female youth soccer players have Abby. She is amazing. Though, amazing might not be a strong enough word to describe her.

24. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This morning NBC Sports showed a replay of a Canadian player stomping on Carly Lloyd's head while she was down. A clear red if it had been seen by an official. The US was not the only team who got a break.

25. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you've still got it on DVR anywhere... it happened at the 54:43 mark of the match. And it's Melissa Tancredi who did it. It didn't get much play because it happened right after Rapinoe's first goal that made it 1-1.

This is just short of laughable. Tancredi was flat-out dirty (sorry -- "highly illegal") the entire damn match. And I said that before even being made aware of this play. Yet she somehow has the (for lack of a better term) balls to be the one who came up with this gem:

Like no one would ever scrounge up video of this.

Let me be the first from below the border to extend to Melissa Tancredi a big fat Olympic-sized glass of Shut the F**k Up with one hand and a middle finger with the other. Crawl back to your cesspool, loser. I hope France wipes the floor with you in the Bronze medal match.