Olympic SF - USA : Canada [R]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1996 or 1997, I think. I saw it called once or twice immediately after, in either/or both the Mexican or Argentinian league. Haven't since.

2. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    I have never ever seen a 6 second call in a knockout stage ever, in any level.

3. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm hearing the keeper held the ball for 10 seconds based on DVR recording.

4. Rydianstealth

Rydianstealth Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    BYU Cougars
    Shocking!! While the referee has been appalling at times, it has been entertaining to watch. While I like the fact Pederson is letting them play there have been numerous moments in which she could have made a strong impact on the game. Since she's failed to make her mark. She has lost much of her creidbility and the games plot.

5. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure it was 1992 when the 6 second "rule" was initiated.

The CAN keeper took twice as long on a previous play before she released the ball and nothing. Now I'm wondering if the CR warned her after that play??

6. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    As a referee and a part-time Canadian, this game has been the biggest pile of shit I've ever seen.

7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interestingly, that call and the subsequent penalty shows that she obviously does not lack the courage to make a big call at a critical juncture.

That's what makes the lack of punishment over some other wild tackles all the more perplexing. It just suggests she has bad foul recognition and a bad overall feel for the game.

jarbitro and Alberto repped this.
  8. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    Presuming that IDK was for time wasting, as it's the only thing that makes "sense", you would presume she was warned earlier. If so, where was the yellow card?

9. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Totally agree.

10. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I first got my badge after WC94. There was still a 4-step rule when I got my badge. So unless I've gone senile, it has to be 1996 or later.

Even if that's true, it doesn't change things much in my opinion. Why are you concerning yourself with that when you're not sanctioning bad fouls? Add a few seconds... don't give a game-changing IFK.

11. oldreferee

oldreferee Member

May 16, 2011
    Tampa
    I've seen the 6 sec rule called twice at u18 sc in fl. once I was a dad of the defending team. another time i was AR1. both times i was horrified that a good game was just destroyed needlessly.

12. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed - I generally work pretty hard to avoid giving attacking IFKs in the box - rarely does anything good (from a reffing / result / game control perspective) come from them...

13. LongDuckDong

LongDuckDong Member+

Jan 26, 2011
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hah, she didn't get a yellow card? Yikes.

I feel for the Canadians. They made their box a designated "hack-fest" area, but it's the referee's job to punish that. The 6 second call was just harsh, even with a warning.

I generally allow for 10 (I know, not the rule), because that's generally how long it takes when a player isn't wasting time. I've never had a problem.

14. NC Soccer United

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    The penalty was a good call, but......the IFK was absolutely horrendous call. There is no PK without that that game changing IFK call. You just cant call that at a such a critical stage unless you have received multiple warnings, not just one, but at least two.

15. wykell

wykell Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 1997:

16. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    From my dvr recording:
    - gathers the corner kick and falls at 76:37 (game clock on tv)
    - is on her feet at 76:40
    - as replay is shown with no clock on screen, whistle sounds as I count to 76:48/49

17. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My bad on the 6 second rule - April 2000 is when it was initiated.

18. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone notice the missed tackle on Morgan right after the penalty? It was the play where Morgan kept going and then Wambach missed the finish.

I'm not saying a call needed to be made, because there was zero contact. But what does it say about the referee's match control where a defender even thinks about making a wild swing like that in her own penalty area? It's an interesting dynamic.

I don't know who to feel bad for. On the one hand, the IFK "ruined" the match and helped change the course of the match. On the other, Pedersen let so, so much go in the American attacking third beforehand that there's no way of knowing if one of her missed calls could have led to a different goal.

19. MrRC

MrRC Member

Jun 17, 2009
    I recall Marco Rodriguez of Mexico calling a 6-second violation and a foul throw-in during a World Cup match. I believe it was during the Germany 2006 tournament.

20. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You can't give the yellow card for time wasting while holding the ball unless you also award the IDK. Probably a verbal warning.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This does sound familiar now that you mention it. Or perhaps it's just that my mind allows me to believe he'd call anything!

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He means where was the yellow card with the IFK?

Though it's a good point, it's worth pointing out that the yellow card is not mandatory for a 6-second IFK call. The call never gets made, so we never really talk about it. But the yellow card, per the Laws and our instructions (unless I'm forgetting an explicit directive) is optional.

23. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Still... I've seen keepers hold the ball for 20 seconds without the call. It's not an incorrect call, but it's not really in line with what players expect. And it was called as she was punting the ball as well.

24. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Actually, I have that on tape... he called a free kick for a push on a player off the field of play on a German throw-in before the ball had been thrown. A real mash-up of the LOTG, if you will.

25. wykell

wykell Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're correct as well - 1997 was when they did away with 4 steps, and gave the binding instruction on 5-6 seconds, then 2000 is when they put it into the LOTG under Law XII.

That said, I have NEVER seen a 6 second violation called, ever. Once, at an MLS game I was watching live, Jair Marrufo BLEW his whistle (and made the "LETS GO!" gesture with his arms) in order to get Kevin Hartman to play the ball while it was in his hands - and exactly zero players complained that they didn't get the IFK he technically signaled for. Me and my other referee buddy watching the game were possibly 2 out of 6 (counting the 4 referees on the field) that had a "oh shit, did he just blow his whistle for 6 seconds and then allow play to continue?" moment.