Olympic Roster Predictions - Tokyo 2020

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by MiLLeNNiuM, Jul 8, 2019.

1. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    Heh, over rated....

2. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least we know what this Dude has been pondering all this time.
    Dunn.jpg

outside63 repped this.
  3. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    She wasn't even the best left back on her club team last year.

sitruc repped this.
  4. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So it’s Sweden April 10th, then of to France April 13. To gain access to a those countries, which girl will you marry this time?

jnielsen and blissett repped this.
  5. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    And especially which religion will he turn to, to be allowed polygamy? :giggle:

6. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different approach this time……..I’m joining the French Foreign Legion.

After my dramatic escape from France after the WWC in July 2019, that is the last place Interpol and the Gendarmes will be looking and should gain me successful entrance into their Country for the Match.

7. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #132 hotjam2, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    glad your going this way instead of previous ones....I fervently watch 90 Day Fiancée, the show where Americans used their ‘privilege’ to hook up with the less fortunates of the world. In one episode that includes an French lass; their supposed to meet up in Mexico due to covid restrictions. She lands there & gets promptly arrested & deported. In the meantime he waits at an resort & enjoys the amenities all week long without once trying to find what happened to her.

I fear the French coach will show this episode to her players right before their match with us...

8. zdravstvuyte

zdravstvuyte Member

Aston Villa
    United States
    Jul 26, 2018
    Back on tour !!!
    Interesting words from Megan.....

I think we still need our punch in the mouth that we haven't got yet," Rapinoe said.

Meaning to me that they need a loss to rally their resolve...

jnielsen repped this.
  9. hocbz

hocbz Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Ertz has been playing poorly all year.

10. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Ertz has passed poorly- by her standards- in a couple of games.

Otherwise she has played well enough.

But I don't think an injury to her would sink the team. There's a lot of good players on the roster. In fact, I wonder if Short might be able to fill her shoes for a game or two?

11. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Roster access to the USWNT isn't a meritocracy, it's heavily impacted by the CBA between the USWNTPA and USSF, and it's designed to favor players in the USWNTPA and make it difficult for new players to get into the USWNTPA.

Form rarely affects call-ups, it really only affects whether a player dresses or sees the field. Barring a serious injury, Ertz will be headed to Tokyo should the Olympics actually take place - regardless of form.

NCChiFan repped this.
  12. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    As iffy as Ertz has played this year, she can play a competent Centerback should anything happen to Abby or Becky. That's a big benefit to the Team.

jnielsen repped this.
  13. jackdoggy

jackdoggy Member+

May 16, 2014
    Big D
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is nothing wrong with the play of Two, Deax, Zwie, Dos, 2-time Women’s World Cup Champion Julie Ertz. Not to mention that she and possibly Wendy are the two most feared Women in Football on Corners/Attacking Set Pieces.
    JJ.jpg
    I’m more concerned about when she and Julie’s Husband decide to go off and start having Super Babies. And even then, JJ would only be technically “unavailable” for Team Activities during the six hours surrounding the birth.

NCChiFan repped this.
  14. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I also noticed the decreased passing efficiency of Ertz I think that may be a result of mental fatigue. Of course a bit of a drop still places her among the best in the world.

One thing I have noticed other than that is her offensive production seems to be inversely related to how far forward she is playing. She produced a good number of goals when she was playing center back but since she has been mainly playing defensive mid.

That is probably just one of those interesting statistics that have no real meaning and I have not looked at the actual numbers but it seems she rarely even hits the goal when taking shots now.

Wow, I just thought that if that is true her offense could be maximized by simply playing her at goalkeeper. :ROFLMAO::cool::rolleyes:

kolabear repped this.
  15. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess some of you are hoping she will return to her ertzwhile level of play.

zdravstvuyte and lil_one repped this.
  16. Klingo3034

Klingo3034 Member+

Dallas FC
    United States
    Oct 11, 2019
    She will get better once she starts playing in NWSL.

17. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    It is the very definition of "bogus" that anyone would want to see Ertz sat... It irks me and it Ertz me.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I wonder if Macario is being over hyped? she didn’t look good vs Canada(though in the perhaps unfamiliar outside right- mid) & underwhelming so far for Lyon at center-fwd in both games vs that one amateur Danish squad.
    So perhaps redemption in the upcoming matches vs PSG? But wonder if she’s even going get much playing time vs the uber powerful Paris squad

19. NCChiFan

NCChiFan Member

NC Courage
    United States
    Feb 19, 2021
    I've wondered the same thing. Her game seems solid but nothing really stands out, at this point.

20. outside63

outside63 Member

Jul 15, 2010
    As someone who was at her first game in the US I would say give her a little bit of time.

21. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    The team impact on how a player performs is huge. She needs time to earn the respect of her peers for them to play thru her. Without that, she is good, but not great. It is a team game.

22. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    I think everyone underestimated the difference in speed of play between US college and professional leagues, for some reason, despite the differences being very obvious.

That has been her weakness, imo, and may take some time for her to adapt to how much faster the game is. Which, I mean, is pretty understandable.

jnielsen, JanBalk and blissett repped this.
  23. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Speed of play is a general catch all term that can mean many things to many people. What does it mean to you? When you say the game is faster, similar sentiment.

24. BrooklynSoccer

BrooklynSoccer Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    really? - faster ball movement, faster speed of play, faster counters, 1 touch, 2 touch soccer - quick decisions, quick formation shifts as a unit - in the defensive formations then transitioning to offensive, etc. etc. etc. etcetc

ytrs, jjmack and JanBalk repped this.
  25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Thanks. I dont think its speed of play then. It can take time to fit in with new players and a new role.