Olympic Referee Appointments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 22, 2012.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Comcast has dedicated Olympic soccer and Olympic basketball channels in HD. They are 843 and 847 in DC, but obviously that's going to vary.

ColoradoRef repped this.
  2. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DISH # 184 as well.

3. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    Dish has both a dedicated Soccer and Basketball channel.

4. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    At least in Chicago, Comcast has dedicated Soccer and Basketball HD channels. For me, they are in the middle 300s, in the middle of nothing.

5. snkscore

snkscore Member+

Jun 24, 2007
    La Grange, IL
    Regarding the Spain red card, Japan did a perfectly legal quick restart and scored as Geiger started blowing his whistle to halt play.

Could/should Geiger have allowed the quick restart?

Could he have allowed it, and then given the red at the next stoppage?

If he allowed it and they scored, I assume the act of scoring wouldn't have any impact on the red being given or not, is that right?

6. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did they ever actually put the ball into the net? I missed that part.

No.

No.

Allowing the restart itself would have negated the red card--nothing to do with a goal scored or not.

And if Geiger allowed the restart and the powers that be determined this was a mandatory red card (which I think it's safe to assume they would have), it likely would have been his last assignment at the tournament.

This entire issue was once discussed, as I alluded to above, as a hypothetical incident at the end of the match in a 1-0 game (where the fouling team was winning). Some interesting reading and some very good points made: https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/spirit-of-the-game-hypothetical.1664119/

7. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geiger did the only thing he could if he was going to give the red. He must give it at that stoppage. Otherwise, once play has restarted, he can't come back and give the card later.

8. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    1613 in Nashville

9. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIOS has both a dedicated Soccer and Basketball channels in HD.

10. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Not in the men's. Standard tournament system. 4 groups, top 2 qualifying. In the women's there are only 3 groups, so top 2 plus 2 best 3rd placed teams qualify.

Nice start for Clatts. Mexican officials' reputations are rather low in England thanks to Rodriguez, so I hope Garcia takes after Archundia more than his greasy haired colleague.

11. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are right. My mistake completely! I guess it's still not technically an elimination game, given what we saw in Group B in EURO 2012. But that makes it much, much closer to one.

12. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Hmm ... this comment sent me looking for high-profile England games refereed by Rodriguez to discover what horrible offense he had done them. Turns out he called their game against Paraguay in the 2006 World Cup, which was described by Kicker as "impeccable."

Dare I suggest that you're placing a little too much importance on a referee's hair and national origin?

13. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Never knew he had to have refereed your country to have an opinion on him... :confused:

14. elonpuckhog

elonpuckhog Member

Dec 29, 2009
    I can see how the Greek ref missed the off the ball red card foul against Wambach. But when she gets fouled again 3o seconds later, it has got to be at least a yellow.

15. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Nice non-response. Instead of attacking Rodriguez for being "greasy haired," how about explaining what he's done to make himself so notorious in England as to give all Mexican referees a bad name there?

16. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is it about Olympic refs and a complete failure to see clear punches?

17. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can easily see how CR would miss this. Smart players know when they can get away with VC due to angles. AR and possibly the 4th (probably a bad angle as well) should have caught it though.

Announcers seemed confident it will be reviewed and punished. Anyone have confirmation of this? Is this an IOC or FIFA disciplinary panel?

18. whiteball

whiteball Member

Apr 17, 2012
    What do you guys think about France's booking for simulation around the 82nd minute mark? There was definite contact, and I thought it was a clear penalty.

19. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I (referee) and my wife (not a referee) both thought it was a PK. Looked like the referee had a bad angle to it.

20. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Off topic but has anyone noticed the handball referees wear the same Adidas kits as FIFA Referees?

21. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Apparently they missed the Olympic Oath for Coaches...

22. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    This is not new to the Olympics, the handball referees having been wearing Adidas for at least the last couple of years.

23. Pierre Head

Pierre Head Member+

Dec 24, 2005
  24. SA14mars

SA14mars Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never paid attention before. Actually, handball seems to be a fairly interesting sport. Not that I understand it at all...

usaref repped this.