Olympic Referee Appointments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 22, 2012.

1. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Clip of the call itself:

soccerman771 and MassachusettsRef repped this.
  2. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Second yellow/red for simulation in the Switzerland-Gabon match. Not sure the referee knew the player was on a yellow when he first blew the whistle, but it was the right call regardless.

From a discipline standpoint, this is not EURO 2012. From what I've seen thus far, that falls on the players--both from a behavior standpoint and a lack of familiarity--rather than the referees.

3. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Law5

Law5 Member+

Mar 24, 2005
    Beaverton OR
  5. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Well I'm willing to bet that Irmatov is done after that challange on Bellamy. Even if Irmatov missed it, and I would think he should have seen it, then the AR missed it. Should have been yellow, at least, and a PK.

6. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    Irmatov has been AWFUL tonight. Great, brilliant referee if both sets of teams are happy to play, but Senegal have been the roughest team I've seen so far in this competition, and Irmatov has done diddly squat about it. Some of the tackles they've put in have been ridiculous and resulted in a quiet word, or worse, not even a FK! As you might expect, it's all just come to a head with one of the most blatent penalties you'll see this tournament not given, made worse by the fact the tackle itself was probably a straight red and within 15 yards of the AR. The lack of yellow and red cards is made all the worse by the YC he gave to Bellamy for relatively nothing.

Sad to say it, given his pedigree, but Irmatov is going home after this performance.

SouthRef and snkscore repped this.
  7. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I might take heat for saying this, but back when he first appeared on the scene at the 2007 WYC, I thought Irmatov was atrocious. And I think that was the consensus opinion on this board at the time.

Obviously in 2010 he was good and widely-praised, but part of me wondered if he got lucky and happened to pick up a bunch of matches where both teams just wanted to play.

Sounds like today is a return to the 2007 incarnation. The three over-aged players aside, maybe it has something to do with international youth teams? Tackles tend to fly in a lot more at those sort of competitions.

SouthRef repped this.
  8. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    This is almost laughably bad from Irmatov. That was an easy 2nd caution for the foul on Rose. But nope, just a foul.

9. soccerman771

soccerman771 Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Dallas, Texas area
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic call and thanks for the link.

10. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    They were a bunch of hacks. The tackle on Bellamy which should have been a PK and a yellow (or red) card wasn't even called a foul. It's similar to a play you might see in a lower level adult league.

In stoppage time, I thought the Senegal defender took someone down in the penalty area. 3 minutes into stoppage time there was a tactical foul which Irmatov didn't even give a caution for. He looked like someone who is used to small-sided games and is doing his first full-field match.

11. MarinFCsoccer

MarinFCsoccer Member

May 16, 2008
    Novato
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Irmatov. :devilish: Rubbish! Lost control of the game. Missed several awful fouls on GB.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  14. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Irmatov was absolutely atrocious today. Senegal was allowed to mug England at will. There should have been 1 straight red and a 2YC red on another player.

15. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Did anybody watch the Uruguay vs. Netherlands World Cup semi-final? It was a total hack fest. Van Bommel committed like 20 fouls without a caution and then got one at the end for kicking the ball away.

There was a challenge by Van Bommel in the build up that Gio Van Bronckhorst's goal that was just awful and not even a foul was called.

I think FIFA is pushing him because they are desperate to have referees outside of Europe and Latin American officiate the latter stages of their tournaments.

16. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    When I read this thread, I was thinking there might be some pro-British homerism in the comments, but now that I've watched the video of the second half, I have to admit that Irmatov's performance was egregiously poor. In addition to the Bellamy incident, there were two noteworthy fouls by Mane after he had already been cautioned.

50' After Rose made a simple square pass in midfield, Mane kicked out high and very forcefully at his opponent's leg. For me, the only question is whether that's a second yellow or a straight red.

93' Rose dribbling at speed up the left flank, taken out by wild Mane slide that was nowhere close to the ball.

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    When I read this thread, I was thinking there might be some pro-British homerism in the comments, but now that I've watched the video of the second half, I have to admit that Irmatov's performance was egregiously poor. In addition to the Bellamy incident, there were two noteworthy fouls by Mane after he had already been cautioned.

50' After Rose made a simple square pass in midfield, Mane kicked out high and very forcefully at his opponent's leg. For me, the only question is whether that's a second yellow or a straight red.

93' Rose dribbling at speed up the left flank, taken out by wild Mane slide that was nowhere close to the ball.

18. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Thanks for reminding me of that. That game is so fresh in my mind because it was one of the worst officiated games in that WC. He totally sucked at that game. Van Bommel should have never been on the field after the 37th minute. RVP interfering with the opponent while Sneidjer's shot went by him for a goal. Martin Caceres basically bicycle kicking the crap out of John Heitinga (I think it was him). I wondered if Irmatov understands the phrase "persistent infringement" because I don't he does.

19. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of you know that I have no regard for Irmatov. I think that it is clear he was lucky that in the opening match of the 2010 World Cup he got a relatively easy match. Since that match his performance was terrible in the Germany-Argentina match and again in the Holland-Uruguay match. So is it any wonder?

Ryan Giggs offered the following post match comments. They were fair and reflect the attitudes of an experienced player looking for consistency in the calls and keeping the match fair.

Here's the really strange thing, you would think given the nature of the challenges, particularly from Senegal in the second half that plastic would be brandished. The only caution of the match went to Bellamy.

Besides the reckless challenge on Bellamy, in the 61st minute there was a challenge to the UK #8 which resulted in his being subbed out of the game. The challenged had the defenders cleat exposed and placed right on the instep of the UK player with a lot of force. Clearly cautionable, most definitely orange.

20. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Senegal actually had 3 cautions but Irmatov showed a complete lack of interest in showing plastics for the numerous "naughty" challenges by Senegal. I was unimpressed by how he managed (or ignored) this match. To allow such thuggish play to continue the way he did was disgraceful.

In contrast I was very impressed with how Geiger handled his match. His presence and field coverage was good, he talked to the players, did not let play get out of hand and sent off a player when some referees might not have. The players appeared to respond well to what he was calling. He did tend to get too close to play at time but recovered well when he did and I don't recall him getting hit or actually getting in the way of play. There were several tackles that looked yellow worthy but he was consistent on both sides with this when he did not show plastic.

Next set of matches should be interesting.

21. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Slightly OT but for all of us with U-Verse they have a dedidicated HD futbol ch. On 1638.

They have been running/repeating all the matches repeatedly.

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting sidepoint to the GBR-SEN match: Carlos Batres was assessing Irmatov. Somehow, I don't think he--in particular--will have been impressed.

Alberto repped this.
  23. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Comcast has one too.

24. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MEN Matchday 2
    Brazil : Belarus - NISHIMURA (JPN)
    Mexico : Gabon - WILLIAMS (AUS)
    Egypt : New Zealand - CLATTENBURG (ENG)
    Spain : Honduras - SOTO (VEN)
    Senegal : Uruguay - BRYCH (GER)
    Republic of Korea : Switzerland - OROSCO (BOL)
    Japan : Morocco - MOEN (NOR)
    Great Britain : UAE - GARCIA (MEX)

Geiger is 4th to Garcia on the Great Britain match. Given the stakes and what we saw yesterday, on paper it looks like Brych might have the toughest match. Although, Egypt and New Zealand is the closest thing you can have to an elimination match for the second matchday (both on zero points... though some 3rd place teams do go through)

25. ColoradoRef

ColoradoRef Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Andy, do you mean that the NBC Sports channel is HD (which I knew) or that Comcast has a dedicated HD soccer channel as well? If the latter, I need to get on that . . .