Olympic Referee Appointments & Discussions [Rs]

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Jul 22, 2012.

1. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She missed a lot. Morgan getting scissored. Morgan getting cleated early in the game (her first injury). Morgan getting run over in the second half (wasn't shoulder to shoulder, but shoulder to back and hip to hip) in the box. Hope picking up the ball outside the 18. I think we had a couple holds on a couple break aways. And then just quite a few fouls she let go in the middle of the park. Very poor in my opinion.

2. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She will probably keep quiet. I remember some such controversy and Sandy Hunt said nothing, in fact she erased any posts referencing it on her Facebook page. Not cool in my opinion. Legit question and it was swept under the rug.

3. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    A green adidas jersey is being worn in the Honduras vs Morocco match. I've never seen it before, looks to be the Euro 2012 jersey, just a green version.

4. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adidas added another color to a jersey line at a major tournament in an attempt to sell more apparel? I'm shocked!

Though, it's worth noting that I believe this is the first time they've pulled this move at an Olympics.

5. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    HON vs MAR:
    PK 63': 99% sure there was contact but could have been a dive, I can't be 100% because I haven't seen a great replay. It seemed to be one of those OGSO without the ball. Referee(Kralovec) goes with no card.

Red Card(VC) 71': Bergdich(MAR) kicks out after a foul he committed. Looked like Martinez(HON) may have gotten a small kick in before Bergdich's but what gets me is Martinez's reaction. Small kick to the back of the knee so he goes down and stays down for almost 1min. I feel he is overreacting to get the Bergdich sent off. But I do agree with the RC for Bergdich.

6. aaronriley

aaronriley Member

Jul 9, 2011
    They've added 2, Geiger is in red.

7. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
  8. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    No commentators on the online feed of Geiger's game. Best. Game. Ever.

La Rikardo, andymoss and refmedic repped this.
  9. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are on my feed.. maybe the volume is off or something? They just got done praising him for being consistent and letting them play saying the players are adjusting to his whistle.

10. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    Sorry...to be more specific I am watching the online feed through the NBC "Live Extra" ap on my phone. They are giving me crowd noise, field noise, etc. It's quite pleasant.

11. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ahh.. I'm watching it on a PC via nbcolympics.com. Allen Hopkins and Cobi Jones are the commentators.

12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite hypothetical situation actually occurs!

DOGSO foul, red mandatory, but team wants to take the quick free kick...

For the record, Geiger got it right and handled it incredibly well. Huge, gutsy and correct decision.

But, man, would that call be tough to sell in a one-goal game in the final seconds of a knockout match!

13. NW Referee

NW Referee Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Washington
    Spain-Japan:

Martinez (Spain) sent off 42nd minute for DGSOF which looked like a good call. He should have had a caution about the 37th minute for an ugly tackle but it didn't look like Geiger carded him.

14. Lucky Wilbury

Lucky Wilbury Member

Mar 19, 2012
    United States
    Even in the hypothetical world, it doesn't get executed as smoothly as what just happened in the real world. Well done.

2 great camera angles from the front & back that back him up 100%.

15. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009

Pls tell . . . for those of us who didn't see it, how did he handle it. (Sounds like it might make a great training clip.)

16. RichM

RichM Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Nov 18, 2009
    Meridian, ID
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Switched from the PC to watch it on the tablet.. it seems odd to not have the commentary but still have all the crowd noise.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The foul was a bit of an odd one because it developed from nothing. Spain made a mistake in the back that prompted what one might call a 50/50 or 60/40 challenge between a Japanese attacker and a Spanish defender--it involved dueling shoulder charges, with the Japanese player getting his foot on the ball and winning possession. At that point, the Spanish defender grabs some short to slow him down and then a fistful of jersey to pull him back (we're almost in the center of the field, about 23 or 24 yards out, with no one else around, so DOGSO is absolutely in play).

Geiger sees it from behind, slams on the whistle and has his hand on his back pocket as he continues his sprint. But when he gets there, the Japanese attacker is already up from the ground and his teammate is in position, about 3-5 yards to the right, to receive a quick free kick and go in on goal with no one marking him. The fouled Japanese attacker starts this process, but Geiger gets to the spot, whistles repeatedly, and shows the red.

Honestly, I didn't really see how he dealt with the Japanese players, if there was any protest from them. Perhaps there wasn't any protest because the immediate red card sold it for them. Plus, there was dissent from the Spaniards to handle. The key thing, for me, was the immediate nature of the red card. Having it in hand, ready to produce upon arrival of the spot, sold the decision to both teams as best he could. No one could ever argue that he felt compelled to go red because he stopped the quick kick (which might be a complaint if the red was delayed).

18. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Once you restart, you can't give a card. Geiger had to give a red before the play restarted.

19. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is disputing that. In fact, that's the whole point here.

The red must be given, so it must be a ceremonial restart, so there can't be a quick free kick. But a referee still has to sell all of that to the attacking team.

20. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    You'll be amazed to how many people don't know that rule. I am talking refs here.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Though if we're going to point that out for those that don't know, it's also worth pointing out the exception to the rule involving violent conduct seen by the AR or 4th (e.g., Zidane '06).

22. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOMEN Matchday 2
    France : Korea DPR - NEGUEL (CMR)
    Great Britain : Cameroon - HONG (KOR)
    USA : Colombia - MITSI (GRE)
    Canada : South Africa - PEDERSEN (NOR)
    New Zealand : Brazil - STEINHAUS (GER)
    Japan : Sweden - ALVARADO (MEX)

Seitz is the 4th on the Japan-Sweden match. Chenard is on the New Zealand-Brazil game.

23. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Hats off the Geiger in the Japan-Spain game. I think he nailed the DOGSO decision on Martinez.

Interesting little fracas in the corner at the end of the match. The Spanish player charged the Japanese player from behind, good call. On the replay you can see the Japanese player, laying on the ground, throw his studs at the Spanish guy who charged him (after the whistle had blown), followed by the Spanish player subtly stomping on the Japanese player's ankle. All in all, I think no call was OK, but it's always fun to see high-level tom foolery and how referees deal (or ignore) it...

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So how did Geiger do overall? I only saw the last 15 minutes but I thought for the most part he was spot on during that time.

Edit: I see vetshak thought he called a good game. Nice to hear.

25. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I genuinely though this was accidental. It looked accidental at first view, though I know those things can be disguised. And I know it's a horrible standard to use, because players do stupid things all the time, but... the Spanish player knew the game was over, knew VC is a 3-match ban, and hadn't had any dust-ups at all with that particular opponent. Would he really risk throwing away his Olympics for that? Regardless, it looked accidental enough for Geiger to ignore it, which he did, as you pointed out.

Overall, I thought Geiger did well. The match wasn't quite MLS levels, but it was a bit more physical than you might normally see at the international level--but I felt it contributed to the entertainment value. We'll see what FIFA thinks, but given this performance, his pedigree and the fact that the US is not involved, I would imagine we'll see him at least once more and, if the cards fall right, hopefully a third time.