Olympic Qualifying Roster

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Marcus OMalley, Feb 20, 2020.

1. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those TV and sponsor deals pale in comparison to the Olympic TV and sponsor deals. USA Track & Field, which will be the host of those World Championships in Oregon, called for a postponement of the Olympics today.

gogorath repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Olympics delayed for one year. Will this age-group roster need to be reset.

3. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they keep the same cutoff date. So what if it becomes a de facto U24?

4. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #204 juvechelsea, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...R3YgwuO2VEn5SAmvpPp7IY0-JxPku0gY6gTAwYOEjdCgY

“And they in turn have held discussions with their key stakeholders and have reassured us they will work with all of their partners and stakeholders to ensure that Oregon is able to host the World Athletics Championships on alternative dates should that prove necessary.”

it's not just we're the Olympics, move, they have to get approval from their own vendors and sponsors and tv outlet.

5. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    all these backlogged sporting events are going to start tripping on each other's television toes -- or competing on opposing stations -- and the crowding itself may lead to some sports having to cancel or postpone because of second order impacts. "i know we have a TV deal but act of god and i can't show college football and NBA and MLB and NFL and you......" it will be interesting how it all shuffles out.

of course the primary thing is getting past the pandemic.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Next spring/summer is going to be EXTREMELY busy for US Soccer
    CONCACAF Nations League, Gold Cup, U23 CONCACAF Championship (in the spring?), the Olympics (hopefully), U20 CONCACAF Championships, U20 World Cup (hopefully), etc. etc.

And, by the way, 2022 World Cup qualification starts in September of next year.

There's going to have to be a lot of negotiating with clubs regarding the release of players. We always talk about how our player pool is as big as its ever been. We'll we're going to need it next year.

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Nations League next spring/summer unless the current semis/final get pushed back that far. The U23 qualifying could happen later this year if things get ramped up.

It's scheduled to start in September of this year. The last matchday of they Hex is September of next year.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  8. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Positive thing on the women's side is Catarina Macario might have her papers in time to play in the Olympics.

9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #209 juvechelsea, Mar 28, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Nations League is likely not happening. The rosiest of expert estimates I have seen for a downturn in cases is mid May. That’s not, it’s safe, that’s the curve turns down and cases reduce. Politicians suggesting earlier timelines are trying to shift blame when this drags out.

We aren’t going to be playing soccer until cases are negligible and it’s safe to travel and be in crowds, even if they played closed doors. 50 players, coaches, staff, tv people, etc. is still a crowd. One carrier or sick player maybe infects everyone. That’s why all sports are off.

Nations League is not necessary. They will point towards qualifying

Olympic qualifying will be next spring again.

Marko72 and largegarlic repped this.
  10. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    because its a u23 tournament

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also a tournament that only happens in years divisible by 4, but sometimes things change.

12. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    no reason for it to change

kids get aged out literally every single year. if you have talent there is always going to be a kid that just doesn't fall in the range its literally what makes the olympics interesting. Think about it from the other sports athletes miss their window for the olympics all the time.

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    This is one of those things that doesn't bother me either way they cut it.

14. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    The question on my mind as far as this goes is this: when the confederations hold their Olympic qualifying tournaments next year (it will almost certainly be next year), will it still be a U23 tournament, or will they make it a U24 tournament to allow the players who would've played this year their chance next year?

I kinda doubt that they will, but I feel really bad for those guys who will age out because of bad timing...

15. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Makes no sense kids age out no matter what u do.

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Every confederation except CONCACAF has already held their qualifying tournaments. 14 of 16 teams are set, and they did so with '97 players.

Excellency repped this.
  17. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Sometimes logic rules over what baby wants.

AutoPenalti repped this.
  18. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I have no idea why anyone would be opposed to making it U24.

Marko72 repped this.
  19. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    "kids get aged out literally every single year" doesnt resonate with you? Really? Yeah, me neither.

20. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Talk about getting shafted. An entire generation, really anyone under 60 has had their lives hijacked by panic marketing and 70+ old and sick people around the world. Olympics,schools, jobs, companies...I feel sorry for 98.8% of the population that is immune and I feel sorry for the 92% percent of 1.2% remainder of the worlds population that might have a tough time. The rest? No. Nothing. Anyone remember Europe in 2003, summertime? Well in case you missed it 70,000 old people died.

It happens. Old people die. Sometimes life is perilous. Take your masks off, go for a run and breathe in that sweet sweet air.

21. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Please do. We have way too many bad posters here.

22. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    Two of the worst posts ive seen after almost 20 years on BS are back to back.

deejay repped this.
  23. a_new_fan

a_new_fan Member+

Jul 6, 2006
    Because its a u23 tournament there wasn't a reason to change it. its a chance for young players to get a chance in a real tournament. If you are 24 you are pushing it because by that time if ur good ur too valuable to be release by ur club and if you aren't too valuable...its likely because ur not that good.

24. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    That class got cheated out of a chance at the Olympics. Giving them a chance seems fair to the people for me.