Olympic Gold - USA : JPN - STEINHAUS (GER)

Discussion in 'Referee' started by MassachusettsRef, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who ever said a man's name has to be beautiful. Alberto is actually a masculine name in Spanish.

Tobin is a surname, not a first name and for a girl it's a damn odd and ugly name.

2. meyers

meyers Member

Jun 11, 2003
    W. Mass
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whoever said a women's name had to be beautiful?

Doesn't sound very masculine to me. Sounds rather wussy.
    I don't think you know much about beauty/ugly or names for that matter.

3. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Sheesh, everybody seems a bit feisty here on the first day of school...

MrPerfectNot repped this.
  4. MrPerfectNot

MrPerfectNot Member+

Jul 9, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? we have a(n idiotic) discussion about player's names going on? really?

5. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm waiting for it to degrade to her looks.
    There have been pages on her in the women's forum.

6. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    The same could have been also said about the CAN-USA clash, although one would not know from that particular thread.

7. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had an interesting discussion with a higher level referee over the weekend (I'm a 7). My comments to him were that I think you have to look at it in context - was the mistake (positioning) one that was a one-time thing or one that was somewhat consistently happening? Same for the overall game.

Bottom line - how much was this something that could be prevented and how much of this was something that was just bad luck (generally right place, generally right effort, simply bad facts)?

And I think in the US-CAN match, you have a lot of . . . well, not smooth communication between players/coaches and officials. It seemed like the official in that game didn't have a good feel for the foul expectations, etc., of the players and the way the game was going, which, in my opinion, fed into the uproar about the 6-second call - which was technically correct, and certainly warranted considering past actions of the goalkeeper and the apparent warnings issued, but because of the lack of clarity in the communication, they were surprised by the call.

Here, you have the exact opposite - granted, aided by the way the teams were playing. Overall, very clear communication, the calls were generally consistent with what the players expected and what the game needed - you just happen to have a very bad fact situation compounded by a positioning decision by the referee that put her in a poor position to see the handling.

All things considered, it would be a tough "fail" just because of that one call. With the rest of the game being handled very well, that specific call not being missed by a grievous error on the part of the official, combined with it happening very early in the match all (in my opinion) dilutes the impact of the call to where it wasn't a match critical failing moment of truth.

Then again, I'm not a trained assessor and frankly am early in the process of being assessed in general, so it is just one guy's opinion from my perspective. I'd be very curious what others with more experience with assessments (especially at a professional level) would have to say.